Tom Boyd given leave for clinical depression

Remove this Banner Ad

I was on holiday recently and was walking along the path beside the beach. Every person was looking at their phone,every single one. It was freaky.

Lol, just imagine the other side of the story and people on their phones commenting from their perspective. People look at me funny when I tell them my phone has no internet access or that I can't take pictures with it. Maybe it's because they expect someone my age to have a phone that does both.

Posters have talked about the evil of social media twitter, instagram etc but are we forgetting Big Footy is part of social media.

I try to be positive about our players most of the time but have posted negative comments about players who have performed poorly or I do not think will make it.

We as a collective of Bulldogs Big Footy do write a lot of positive stuff but also a lot negative stuff. We see Big Footy as providing a forum for this but we have no idea if any of the players read or find out about the negative stuff and what effect it has on them.

We do have Mods to filter opinions if they get to far out of hand. There is a massive thread on Tom mostly positive but plenty of negative stuff. I think Big Footy is a good avenue for supporters but it is part of social media no doubt. We do not need to always be positive and cannot be after a poor performance we just need to be a bit careful.

Yeah I think lessons need to be learned from this. But I also should have included our club , they did sign off on the contract.
Easy to be critical after the event , and I'm not blaming anybody , but as an industry can we learn anything from it ?
Unlikely IMO. Regrettably the AFL tends to follow trends in big US sports and we've just been reading about obscene amounts of money being offered to young NBA sportsmen. Amounts that would make Boyd's contract look like pocket money.

If anything it's going to get a lot worse.

Posters have talked about the evil of social media twitter, instagram etc but are we forgetting Big Footy is part of social media.

I try to be positive about our players most of the time but have posted negative comments about players who have performed poorly or I do not think will make it.

We as a collective of Bulldogs Big Footy do write a lot of positive stuff but also a lot negative stuff. We see Big Footy as providing a forum for this but we have no idea if any of the players read or find out about the negative stuff and what effect it has on them.

We do have Mods to filter opinions if they get to far out of hand. There is a massive thread on Tom mostly positive but plenty of negative stuff. I think Big Footy is a good avenue for supporters but it is part of social media no doubt. We do not need to always be positive and cannot be after a poor performance we just need to be a bit careful.
Good post. I think there's a big difference between negative posts and abusive posts. Saying a player needs to improve is a far cry from calling him names and having personal vandetas or spewing out hatred.
I've been a critic of our game day thread and have long said it goes far and beyond venting,and I'm going to say now it's leadership is appalling.
I'll be interested how it goes this week. Our players have given us great joy and it's about time we show some support.
I think they need it about now and as supporters we have a role to play in this.

I've been gently mocked a few times for saying we shouldn't post anything about a player that we wouldn't be prepared to say to his face. Nevertheless I try to use that as my basis for posting about individuals (although I do have strangely satisfying lapses from time to time :$).

I must admit a few of the responses have made me laugh. Like "if we did that there would be nothing posted on BF" or "if we followed that principle there would never be anything bad said about Jack Redpath!"

Criticism is important. This'd be a terribly boring place if it was all rainbows and 100% PC. However my thinking is that if I said it to their face I'd have to think through the criticism before blurting it out so I'd want to be sure I had good justification/evidence. Also anything I say should incorporate a constructive and sympathetic approach to criticism rather than hurtful comments that you sometimes see such as "doesn't give a shit", "will never be any good" and "should be ashamed that he pulled the WB jersey on".

I think there are quite a few posters here who work on the same principle, whether consciously or not.

Today's news about Tom Boyd just reinforces the importance of being fair and constructive. He might never read BF (hope he doesn't) but some stuff posted here has a way of getting around and onto everyone's lips.

It must be said, but a massive kudos to both Tom and Travis for getting it out in the open, using their platform to preach to anyone else struggling with the illness that it's ok to come out and do something about it, and that there are people out there who care. Very brave.
It snowballs too. Already there have been three people in this thread bravely open up about their own battles with anxiety and depression.

As has been said, being able to talk about it and accept it for what it is becomes a big first step to getting out the other side. It also helps others be a bit more understanding as to how common it is and be accepting and supportive of those going through it.

Can't see it due to the paywall, but that great mental health crusader from the Hun with the gravel voice has written a self-serving piece of trash saying media scrutiny can't be blamed for Boyd's battles.

Sigh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has been an overwhelmingly supportive response, aside from the assholes who think a nice salary precludes you from having depression.

Very thankful for our wonderful coach, who I've no doubt has been a rock for Tom in managing his illness while playing footy. If only more people were as emotionally switched on as Bevo.

Don't like anyone pointing the finger at a cause. Social media line will be wheeled out and may have played a part, the pressure of the contract has been spoken of, and I think the media should accept some culpability in that rather than passing the buck, but at the end of the day none of us are in Tom's head. It's not a time for blaming but for healing, and considering how we engage with players.

I think of suicide all the time. I sit at train stations,bridges,browse the Internet for poisons all the time. I also have a happy family.
Depression is different for everyone,I find the lack of humanity for others effects me the most. Sometimes though when I post on social media I'm fearful of the responses and will be very anxious about checking back in. Sometimes when I post I'm convinced I'm right but the next day feel great fear.
I don't think this is normal but Toms struggles make me think it is.
Always the next day I feel fear,and on social media I feel I post happy,but I post anti negative.
Anyway that's my story and it sucks.
Mate :'(

I think of suicide all the time. I sit at train stations,bridges,browse the Internet for poisons all the time. I also have a happy family.
Depression is different for everyone,I find the lack of humanity for others effects me the most. Sometimes though when I post on social media I'm fearful of the responses and will be very anxious about checking back in. Sometimes when I post I'm convinced I'm right but the next day feel great fear.
Always the next day I feel fear,and on social media I feel I post happy,but I post anti negative.
Your not alone mate, plenty of good people out there willing to help.

Keep your head up high!

I've been gently mocked a few times for saying we shouldn't post anything about a player that we wouldn't be prepared to say to his face. Nevertheless I try to use that as my basis for posting about individuals (although I do have strangely satisfying lapses from time to time :$).

I must admit a few of the responses have made me laugh. Like "if we did that there would be nothing posted on BF" or "if we followed that principle there would never be anything bad said about Jack Redpath!"

Criticism is important. This'd be a terribly boring place if it was all rainbows and 100% PC. However my thinking is that if I said it to their face I'd have to think through the criticism before blurting it out so I'd want to be sure I had good justification/evidence. Also anything I say should incorporate a constructive and sympathetic approach to criticism rather than hurtful comments that you sometimes see such as "doesn't give a shit", "will never be any good" and "should be ashamed that he pulled the WB jersey on".

I think there are quite a few posters here who work on the same principle, whether consciously or not.

Today's news about Tom Boyd just reinforces the importance of being fair and constructive. He might never read BF (hope he doesn't) but some stuff posted here has a way of getting around and onto everyone's lips.

Brilliant post. I'm going to try and keep this approach to online criticism in mind when I post from now on.

This is another worthy analogy for you mate. BOTH you and Tom are valued and appreciated members of a team. Just as Toyd oscillates between heroic and ordinary, so do the posts of most contributors I've always found your posts to the point and honest. Can't always agree with you but I do have RESPECT Just as I do for Toyd.

Chin up mate.

Some really good food for thought in here. I've been guilty of getting a bit heated in the gameday thread as well as in the stands over the past few weeks. But it's been clear that there is a number of players (including Tom) that just haven't been enjoying the game as much this year, and it's shown in their body language out on the ground.

For me It's time to get some perspective and move the needle back towards fervent support rather than fervent criticism. These boys won us a premiership, they are bloody legends and with support will get back to their best sooner than later.

Last edited:

Get professional help now!!!! It is time to reach out for real help. Please!!!

Mate, I've never been in your situation but I know a few who have. Talk to your family about it, don't isolate yourself and think you'll able to handle such a burden alone. Ask someone you trust to check in on you each day. Even though the world may seem like a cruel place, there's plenty of people with empathy, none more so than your own family.

Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has spoken about Boyd's situation.

“Tom is optimistic he will be ok and he has a future in the game,” Beveridge said.

“As soon as we get on top of it, he’ll come back into the program. He is settled from a mental health perspective, he is in a better place. He is ok. We have a couple of our people going out to do one-on-one training sessions with him, something he wanted to do, to go out and support him.

“Over a significant period of time, Tom has been grappling with this and it has been a real challenge for him. He and I have had ongoing conversations about how to manage the external noise and the pressures of the game. He is a young man, through circumstance, who has become a high profile player well before his time due to the contract, being the number one draft pick.

“We weren’t aware initially that he had any struggles and even when I asked him the question last year, how he is copping with everything, he said he doesn’t look at it, if he sees it he blocks it out and it isn’t a big issue. In hindsight, he was probably putting on a brave face and ultimately a pretty incredible feat from him to finish last year the way he did under all that pressure.

“He hasn’t been able to get on top of his mental struggle fully this year and it has affected him to the point where he needs time out. We have great support mechanisms here at the football club. We have a transparent approach and the players showed their full support.

“The bigger individuals are the ones you least expect to have the mental grind but he has health with it, but it has become too much in recent times.”

TOM BOYD
Spoke to my mum who's a psychologist and she tells me that treatment of depression involves going on medication. Not necessarily heavy medication that leaves you walking around like a zombie but medication all the same. The level depends on the person as everyone is different. It calms you down and stops the mind working against itself.
Most people can get back to functioning as per normal in the space of a few weeks but for the medication to start being fully effective a patient needs to be on it for at least 6 weeks. Obviously there is counseling during this time as well.

One day at a time people, one day at a time. Appreciate the little things in life, whatever they may be for you. Don't feel like you have to put on a brave face or pressure to keep up with others, just be yourself and do what makes you happy.

Spoke to my mum who's a psychologist and she tells me that treatment of depression involves going on medication. Not necessarily heavy medication that leaves you walking around like a zombie but medication all the same. The level depends on the person as everyone is different. It calms you down and stops the mind working against itself.
Most people can get back to functioning as per normal in the space of a few weeks but for the medication to start being fully effective a patient needs to be on it for at least 6 weeks. Obviously there is counseling during this time as well.
Is your mum a Psychiatrist or a Psychologist?

Psychologists aren't allowed to administer medications, it's pretty much all vocal therapy they do, getting you to open up and stuff and come up with strategies in order to help improve your quality of life such as helping overcome your fears or help implementing good routine into your life. Psychiatrists can administer medications though to work along with that patients therapy/counselling. What you described sounds pretty interventional and what a Psychiatrist would do.

GPs can administer medications such as antidepressants though if their patients are in a bad way. Through my ordeal with my back issues I rejected antidepressants any time my GP brought it up, but when I was in severe pain/had bad sciatica I took antiinflammatories and strong pain relievers though, but once the inflammation/majority of pain came down I went off them as quick as I could.

I'm a strong believer in good routine, good health/diet/exercise and being around positive influences helps significantly with rehabilitation.

Medication and counselling simultaneously is the most efficacious approach according to a wealth of research, however it's not perfect and it's not for everybody.

I have had my own issues with mental illness and was under extreme pressure to accept a pharmacological approach, which I repeatedly resisted. In hindsight it was the correct choice for me.

Everybody's different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Boyd given leave for clinical depression

Remove this Banner Ad

Back