Certified Legendary Thread Tom Hawkins - a magnificent 350+ games... The GFC All-Time Games Record Holder

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a nice injury to be dealing in the twilight of your career, but the reality is Tom Hawkins has been a very successful and lucky footballer.

Hopefully he can get back on the park as we try to cling on for a Finals spot; worst case scenario a farewell H+A game @ KP I suppose.

Big opportunity for Shannon Neale to get some prolonged exposure to senior footy.

I'll spare the full glowing tribute to the big fella for when the time is right.

If Tom doesn't end up playing again, then he can be assured 100% that he has made a massive contribution to the Geelong Football Club. Any player in the history of the VFL/AFL who kicks 700+ goals in their career....thats a seriously good effort.

Some of you/all of you may remember my post back on May 14, 2024..... where I compiled a list of players to kick 700+ goals. When you think of every single player to have played in the VFL/AFL: only 26 players have achieved it, it's a small club that's for sure.

1x Coleman medal
5x All Australian
1x Geelong Best & Fairest
11x Club Leading Goal Kicker
3x Premiership

He has had a great career. Well done, Tom.

Meanwhile star forward partner Tom Hawkins, who’s expected to retire at season’s end as he battles to get back from a foot injury, reportedly won’t put his hand up for selection in the back-end of the campaign unless he’s 100 per cent fit.

“This won’t get ugly, it’s all about trust and honesty,” Ralph said of Hawkins’ bid to return in 2024.

“If he’s not ready, he’s not going to put his hand up ... just desperate for a finals campaign or a farewell game.

“That’s the person we know Tom Hawkins to be.”

The selflessness is precisely why I hope he gets to 100% and gets back.

Love big Tommy, and he has been amazing for so many years, BUT, I'm kinda glad he got injured... hear me out..

He had become a liability on field and Chris Scott was not prepared to make the hard decision to drop him.
This forced decision is just what the side needed..

Hawkins' 6 goals in his last 9 games is poor, we know that... but the biggest drawback we had was that he was not capable of crashing a pack and bringing the ball to ground, he was actually getting outmarked a LOT.

With Neale in the side now, exclusively as the BIG target, the forward line looks a LOT more dynamic.. While not setting the world on fire, he was mere inches from a nice bag of 4-5 last night. Took some really nice marks, but most importantly, REALLY split some packs, bringing the smalls into the game.

I still hope Hawkins can get fit and be given a farewell game. Rd 24 V's WCE at Geelong would be perfect.

But then Scott HAS to stick with Neale for the finals.. Scott made the hard call in 2011, dropping Mooney for Hawkins, now he must stay course with Neale..

Love big Tommy, and he has been amazing for so many years, BUT, I'm kinda glad he got injured... hear me out..

He had become a liability on field and Chris Scott was not prepared to make the hard decision to drop him.
This forced decision is just what the side needed..

Hawkins' 6 goals in his last 9 games is poor, we know that... but the biggest drawback we had was that he was not capable of crashing a pack and bringing the ball to ground, he was actually getting outmarked a LOT.

With Neale in the side now, exclusively as the BIG target, the forward line looks a LOT more dynamic.. While not setting the world on fire, he was mere inches from a nice bag of 4-5 last night. Took some really nice marks, but most importantly, REALLY split some packs, bringing the smalls into the game.

I still hope Hawkins can get fit and be given a farewell game. Rd 24 V's WCE at Geelong would be perfect.

But then Scott HAS to stick with Neale for the finals.. Scott made the hard call in 2011, dropping Mooney for Hawkins, now he must stay course with Neale..

Finals super sub Tom Hawkins?!

Seriously, imagine a fit Hawk entering the game at 3/4 time and monstering his tired opponent...

Finals super sub Tom Hawkins?!

Seriously, imagine a fit Hawk entering the game at 3/4 time and monstering his tired opponent...
imagine the WC full back in Rd 24 if Tomma is still a bit shoody on the foot when he gets subbed in 2 mins into the last 1/4,... KP would erupt and 22 CAts players will be sending it to him regardless of condition.

Good luck.

GO Catters

imagine the WC full back in Rd 24 if Tomma is still a bit shoody on the foot when he gets subbed in 2 mins into the last 1/4,... KP would erupt and 22 CAts players will be sending it to him regardless of condition.

Good luck.

GO Catters
Good idea. Prop him in the square, or the RHS flank. Play Pagan's paddock for a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon that is a good idea.

I love Hawk, one of my favourite players to ever play for Geelong.

But for me.. season 2024 is like 2011 for Cam Mooney.
Let’s hope it finishes the same way…

Give him one last game v WCE?

Possibly only if we cant miss top 4.
But im not sure if he will be fit by then anyway.

I know the club will want to keep him as a backup option through finals in case cameron gets injured but id love to see him get a lap of honour at the wce game-it would be a nice touch.

He isn't coming back is he

Even if he is fit in time i dont think we should pick him.

The book is an unrelated issue though im looking forward to reading it.

Certified Legendary Thread Tom Hawkins - a magnificent 350+ games... The GFC All-Time Games Record Holder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back