Injury Tom Hawkins - foot soreness

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand why so many people are relating this injury to Matthew Egan.

Egan fractured his navicular bone in his right foot. He then emergency surgery to insert screws into his foot in bid to play in the Grand Final. He then trained in the lead to up the game and suffered further set backs which ultimately he has never recovered from.

Tom Hawkins has not broken any bones. He has a hot spot which requires rest to fix. If it feels ok he should play.

Correct me if I am wrong, but he reason Matthew Egan never played again was due to him trying to come back too early from broken foot which caused more damage. Hawkins case is totally different.

I'm sure if Tom Hawkins did happen to break the bone in his foot he would have a long lay to allow the bone to heal properly. (Then it could be related to Matthew Egan!)
You are correct.

I have every confidence in the medical team at the club now. London to a brick they will manage him very conservatively. In Hawkins, out Blake - when the time comes .:p
Agree. They will expertly handle all such injuries.
Disagree. Both Blake and Hawkins will be required

It would be a big call to go into any ruck contest with both Hawkins and Ottens, especially considering the durability of Blake, whom it must be said has provided great value for money simply due to the fact that we have been able to rely on him for the last three seasons to ruck pretty much as no. 1.

I think the match comittee would be loathe to give Hawkins too much game time in the ruck knowing his foot concerns. .... I would expect pinch hitter at best.

I don't understand why so many people are relating this injury to Matthew Egan.

Egan fractured his navicular bone in his right foot. He then emergency surgery to insert screws into his foot in bid to play in the Grand Final. He then trained in the lead to up the game and suffered further set backs which ultimately he has never recovered from.

Tom Hawkins has not broken any bones. He has a hot spot which requires rest to fix. If it feels ok he should play.

Correct me if I am wrong, but he reason Matthew Egan never played again was due to him trying to come back too early from broken foot which caused more damage. Hawkins case is totally different.

I'm sure if Tom Hawkins did happen to break the bone in his foot he would have a long lay to allow the bone to heal properly. (Then it could be related to Matthew Egan!)

:thumbsu: This.

There is no break, no fracture, no damage done, it a hotspot, which is basically soreness.. we play players with tightness or soreness of muscles if they feel ok, if Tom says he feels he can play then, ultimately he knows his better than any of us or any media people then let him play.

Respect Scott Gullan but if it was 'career threatening' Hawkins wouldn't be 'rolling the dice' for a regular season game it would all be about finals.

:thumbsu: This.

There is no break, no fracture, no damage done, it a hotspot, which is basically soreness. we play players with tightness or soreness of muscles if they feel ok, if Tom says he feels he can play then, ultimately he knows his better than any of us or any media people then let him play.

Respect Scott Gullan but if it was 'career threatening' Hawkins wouldn't be 'rolling the dice' for a regular season game it would all be about finals.

Exactly. You can't keep them in cotton wool forever. If they think he's good to go the sooner he gets back out there the better.

You can't help but wonder whether the eagerness to get him back in a week or two has anything to do with a longer term prognosis on Ottens ?:mad:

Absolutely not!
Geelong has shown over the past couple of years, after the Egan scenario in particular, a clear no-risk policy with foot injuries.
It seems to me, that the club is saying "We think you're right to go, but there are no guarantees, given your history, so it's ultimately your decision."
This is prudent both from the angle of player safety and club indemnity.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2010/06/30/186841_gfc.html

GEELONG forward Tom Hawkins has been reassured his imminent return from a delicate foot injury poses little long-term threat to his career.

Hawkins has not yet set a comeback date, but Cats coach Mark Thompson yesterday declared the youngster in line to return as early as next week.

Even if he is to suffer a relapse of the injury upon his return, Hawkins said he has been assured it would not be career threatening.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2010/07/13/190771_gfc.html
The Cats will welcome back Cam Mooney from suspension while young forward Tom Hawkins is putting up a strong case to return after six weeks out with a foot injury.

Hawkins, who has booted 16 goals from 10 games this year, has not played since the Cats' win over Melbourne in round 10 but he trained strongly with Geelong's VFL squad on Saturday morning in a clear sign the hot spot in his foot is not causing him any problems.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2010/07/13/190771_gfc.html

Pods says he will be happy to have the assistance back in the forward line, and I'm not surprised, it will be good for the whole team.

Given that he's only doing light training though, I would say he is unlikely to play this week and more likely to play enxt week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting comment from Podsiadly particularly given that he played last sat with a serious ear and throat infection.

Interesting why? If he hasn't been feeling well and carrying the load of three blokes it's all the more reason why he'd be happy to have some support back in the side.

We will play this week.

"He will play. It's just a matter of where," Balme said, referring to a comeback match either against the Crows or in the VFL.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...sume-for-geelong/story-e6frf9lo-1225891509190

Reading the next quote it depends on how he trains on whether he plays AFL or VFL.

"We haven't had selection yet, but he's pretty close to being right, so much will depend on his training this week."

So it will probably come down to whether the fitness staff want him to play half a game or a full game. If its a half a game he will be playing VFL. Good news either way.

Balme also said Corey will play against Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Tom Hawkins - foot soreness

Remove this Banner Ad

Back