Toast Tom Hawkins To Retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Just announced on SEN. The Club has sent out a press release announcing Tom Hawkins will retire at the end of this season.

We knew it was coming, he has struggled this year even when fit but what an incredible servant for the footy club, seems one of the all time great blokes. The club will be poorer for him leaving.
He was seen as the great white hope when drafted, and what an incredible period the club has had since he walked in the door a big fat kid, and walks out the door the games record holder and 3 time premiership player.

We probably don't appreciate just how amazing he has been, and how fortunate we have been for so long to have him.

Thanks Hawk :heart:

I've always had a nagging thought that we kind of did Hawk a bit dirty by not having a genuinely good 2nd KPF to help him out, for most of the journey.

Pods was good but always a stopgap. Vardy/Walker were bits-and-pieces types and/or injury prone. Henderson and Taylor were backmen who threw forward in desperation. Clark didn't really do much.

The poor guy had to do it mostly single-handed for years and years.

Best player to retire today.
In terms of longevity absolutely yes. From his stellar break-out 2011 GF to 2023 he has been a constant high achiever who played the game selflessly and always with a smile on his face.

Hopefully, his protégé, Shannon Neale, will carry on the tradition...

Pardon the intrusion.

What an absolute legend Tom Hawkins will go down as, one of the best forwards of the 2010’s.

I was at the MCG as a neutral fan that night in 2012 when he kicked that monster after the siren goal to beat the Hawks. Still on of the best moments I’ve witnessed live.

Thanks Tom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pardon the intrusion.

What an absolute legend Tom Hawkins will go down as, one of the best forwards of the 2010’s.

I was at the MCG as a neutral fan that night in 2012 when he kicked that monster after the siren goal to beat the Hawks. Still on of the best moments I’ve witnessed live.

Thanks Tom.
That's probably his signature moment (2011 GF aside)

If TBone had played 30 years ago, he would have kicked over 1000 goals, IMHO. But in the age of the unselfish Geelong and harsher umpiring, he's done so well to kick 796 goals (hopefully, he gets a final game to add four more). But what has always impressed me about TBone is what a top bloke he is. A great team man who bled for the club. A leader on and off the field. A terrific family man. Thanks, Tom, for all you have done for the club, and I wish you and your family all the best for the future.

What a great backup to have should either of our key forwards get injured before or during the finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Tom Hawkins To Retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back