Toast Tom Hawkins To Retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations Tom.

What a career and I have thoroughly enjoyed watching you from day one to now.

I think GFC could have tastefully waited until tomorrow to announce this, btw :)

From the looks of the prepared content, this was known by the club well before today and content was likely even set up as scheduled posts - don't forget they could easily have set them to be released at 9:30 rather than 10:30 and then this becomes the first announcement for the day

Congratulations Tom.

What a career and I have thoroughly enjoyed watching you from day one to now.

I think GFC could have tastefully waited until tomorrow to announce this, btw :)

Completely disagree, Martin has been selfish all season with playing when he wants too and likely to change his mind ala Hardwick for next season.

The release for both clubs would’ve just been coincidence and best to have Geelong announce it than have it leak.

Hawkins did a video thanking his fans, Dustin wrote a letter.

Enough said

I think he only gets the call up of there's an injury
I think they will want to play him in the game against WC for 2 reasons:

• if we have an injury and he is needed in the finals he really needs to get at least 1 game under his belt
  • sentimental reasons: if anyone deserves a proper send off at KP it is Tommy.

I kind of feel like the announcement today was in preparation for round 24, basically telling everyone that they need to be ready to say goodbye and make it official.

If TBone had played 30 years ago, he would have kicked over 1000 goals, IMHO. But in the age of the unselfish Geelong and harsher umpiring, he's done so well to kick 796 goals (hopefully, he gets a final game to add four more). But what has always impressed me about TBone is what a top bloke he is. A great team man who bled for the club. A leader on and off the field. A terrific family man. Thanks, Tom, for all you have done for the club, and I wish you and your family all the best for the future.
If TBone had the Charlie Curnow rule book applied to him he would have broken pluggers record.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will always remember his ruck goals in the gf as the parting blows from a champion displaying his dominance
The enduring moment for me was when he was rag dolling Coll in the 2011 gf and couldn’t convert, then he took another massive grab and handballed off to SJ for the goal.

That one play kind of encapsulates his entire career - a massive big game player, unselfish to a fault and the ultimate team man.

The enduring moment for me was when he was rag dolling Coll in the 2011 gf and couldn’t convert, then he took another massive grab and handballed off to SJ for the goal.

That one play kind of encapsulates his entire career - a massive big game player, unselfish to a fault and the ultimate team man.
Hawkins' unselfishness was always a feature, not a fault.

In the end it'll probably cost him the 800 marker, and I doubt he cares.

I think they will want to play him in the game against WC for 2 reasons:

• if we have an injury and he is needed in the finals he really needs to get at least 1 game under his belt
  • sentimental reasons: if anyone deserves a proper send off at KP it is Tommy.

I kind of feel like the announcement today was in preparation for round 24, basically telling everyone that they need to be ready to say goodbye and make it official.
Maybe, I would love to see it, but I don't think we will

A coming of age for the waking giant

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Tom Hawkins To Retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back