Toast Tom Hawkins To Retire

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I’ve loved watching him over the years, I think this is a sensible and rational decision. The game continues to change and I don’t think Tom would be able to continue to change with it, zone defence strategies are too well planned now for someone who isn’t a big tank runner to thrive, especially when they are on the wrong side of 35.

He retires a champion of the game and a legend of the club.

If TBone had played 30 years ago, he would have kicked over 1000 goals, IMHO. But in the age of the unselfish Geelong and harsher umpiring, he's done so well to kick 796 goals (hopefully, he gets a final game to add four more). But what has always impressed me about TBone is what a top bloke he is. A great team man who bled for the club. A leader on and off the field. A terrific family man. Thanks, Tom, for all you have done for the club, and I wish you and your family all the best for the future.
If he didn't do his back in 2013 he probably would of kicked 1000 goals anyway.

As much as I’ve loved watching him over the years, I think this is a sensible and rational decision. The game continues to change and I don’t think Tom would be able to continue to change with it, zone defence strategies are too well planned now for someone who isn’t a big tank runner to thrive, especially when they are on the wrong side of 35.

He retires a champion of the game and a legend of the club.
Ofcourse Hawkins would be able to play with the current and new style of game (which isn't really any diferent).

He is retiring cos he is old, can't jump and isn't as strong as he was. Not because the game has changed. That view devalues his talent.

When thinking on Tom its hard to define his greatest attribute.

Was it that he came to the cats as a father son and stayed.. Im sure he got offers, and probably big money.

Was it that he so played well in big games and had big moments. ..Our last two flags , one might say hawk missed a few goals in those GF's but he had such an influence on the result ..it may have only been the goals missed that denied him the Norm. Not that think he would care about that.

Was it that he was such a team man. He seemed to take pride in assists , as much as kicking a bag for himself. Handing off "Lay Down Misère" goals to give others their first goal or sharing it round.

Was it for a man his size he was a very fair player. Yes he was rubbed out occasionally and had a couple of blemishes but basically for silly frustrations. For man his size if it had been matched with a temperament like Hall or a Lockett he would have probably not made it to 300 games

Was that he played his best footy post 30. ..in era that was not made for man his size and shape , and when he played against forward lines so often flooded with defenders and often ball speed was often slower than ideal.

Was it he worked on his kicking and became not a very reliable set shot but a template on how to keep working on your game. Having a soft fade that would occasionally go off and need a tweak and he get back on song. Mostly he was a player who when ball in hand, Geelong supporters would watch him shoot for goal, you felt good about his chances. He gave reward to the mids for getting the ball to him. It was rare that he had a shocking kick at goal.

Speaking of songs... If Tom Hawkins had a tribute song what would it be... It seems are contradictions to how I see Tom

Should it the breakfast club..song Don't forget about me... ? I sort of doubt anyone will forget Tom

Maybe Good Bye Yellow Brick Road as he is going back to his plough ...but again ... I doubt Tom thinks he should have stayed on the farm and he probably did listen to his old man

The thing about Tom is I think he is a lesson in so many way to young players that come in as highly rated. Id say Tom's song should be one where he demonstrates to all others how to make the most of your time ...

Maybe Pink Floyds Time is sort of that.. That song also has the flavour of regret and missing out as time pass you by... but it reflects what Tom did not let happen. He used his Time.

He absolutely squeezed the most out of himself beyond his nature talent... and when he was as talented as he was as a kid , that is saying something.

He will not have to be concerned about ten years having gone by and missing the starting gun.

He did not go for the Money and at without doubt, at some time in the future, I'm sure we will wish he was still here...

Tom made the most of his time.. He grabbed his chance, and imo, the biggest attribute anyone might give to him is he made the most of his time and his ability. He was key in 3 flags and he became a Champion of the Geelong Football Club.

Thanks Tom ...

A coming of age for the waking giant
It was so awesome being in the crowd that day. You could almost feel Tommy sucking the life out of the Collingwood fans.

The fact that he missed a few shots only prolonged the agony - it was death by a thousand cuts.

Pure footy joy

If he ends on 799 goals, I am going to hate Jordan Clark more than I already do.

I remember at the end of 2006 a fellow Geelong supporter told me at work that we'd picked him up in the draft. He said they've already given him a nickname "Tomahawk" and I thought "Shit they've put the mozz on the poor kid and he hasn't even played a game". I'm glad to say he lived up to it and a whole lot more. Enjoy your last couple of months Tommy, legend status awaits you.

Hawkins retiring really closes the door on the great Geelong 2007 - 2011 team. Duncan is still there, I know, but his career was at its beginning in 2011.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ofcourse Hawkins would be able to play with the current and new style of game (which isn't really any diferent).

He is retiring cos he is old, can't jump and isn't as strong as he was. Not because the game has changed. That view devalues his talent.
Always looking to start a fight aren’t you. Tom is not and has never been an endurance runner, the way defensive structures have changed if forwards are “stay at home” the way Tom is, then they are going to be a liability as much as an asset. Prior to his injury, Tom’s lack of aerobic capacity was becoming evident in the way defenders could peel off and block his space. Notice that with Neale playing, the goal output might not be there but he is keeping a defender more accountable because he can move around in opposition to the defensive structure. It’s why Cameron’s output in the forward 50 has increased again, because he’s not running so much into congested zone defences.

Was it that he came to the cats as a father son and stayed.. Im sure he got offers, and probably big money.

Was it that he so played well in big games and had big moments. ..Our last two flags , one might say hawk missed a few goals in those GF's but he had such an influence on the result ..it may have only been the goals missed that denied him the Norm. Not that think he would care about that.

Was it that he was such a team man. He seemed to take pride in assists , as much as kicking a bag for himself. Handing off "Lay Down Misère" goals to give others their first goal or sharing it round.

Was it for a man his size he was a very fair player. Yes he was rubbed out occasionally and had a couple of blemishes but basically for silly frustrations. For man his size if it had been matched with a temperament like Hall or a Lockett he would have probably not made it to 300 games

Was that he played his best footy post 30. ..in era that was not made for man his size and shape , and when he played against forward lines so often flooded with defenders and often ball speed was often slower than ideal.

Was it he worked on his kicking and became not a very reliable set shot but a template on how to keep working on your game. Having a soft fade that would occasionally go off and need a tweak and he get back on song. Mostly he was a player who when ball in hand, Geelong supporters would watch him shoot for goal, you felt good about his chances. He gave reward to the mids for getting the ball to him. It was rare that he had a shocking kick at goal.

Speaking of songs... If Tom Hawkins had a tribute song what would it be... It seems are contradictions to how I see Tom

Should it the breakfast club..song Don't forget about me... ? I sort of doubt anyone will forget Tom

Maybe Good Bye Yellow Brick Road as he is going back to his plough ...but again ... I doubt Tom thinks he should have stayed on the farm and he probably did listen to his old man

The thing about Tom is I think he is a lesson in so many way to young players that come in as highly rated. Id say Tom's song should be one where he demonstrates to all others how to make the most of your time ...

Maybe Pink Floyds Time is sort of that.. That song also has the flavour of regret and missing out as time pass you by... but it reflects what Tom did not let happen. He used his Time.

He absolutely squeezed the most out of himself beyond his nature talent... and when he was as talented as he was as a kid , that is saying something.

He will not have to be concerned about ten years having gone by and missing the starting gun.

He did not go for the Money and at without doubt, at some time in the future, I'm sure we will wish he was still here...

Tom made the most of his time.. He grabbed his chance, and imo, the biggest attribute anyone might give to him is he made the most of his time and his ability. He was key in 3 flags and he became a Champion of the Geelong Football Club.

Thanks Tom ...
So great to see you back.

I have missed your contributions.

Like Hawkins to the Cats, your contribution to this site is immeasurable

Last edited:
West Coast will win this game bc Geelong are gonna have every player in the F 50 creating a ring around him to get him to 800 goals.

There will be no structure.

There will be no team ethos.

" We're doing it all for Tomma. " to the tune of Billy Joels All for Leyna.

Get it done you lot and make no bones - you'd better succeed.

GO Catters

As much as Tom's big game winning moments feature in memory, it's the ongoing unselfish slog over so many years for me. Imagine the strength of character it takes to train and play so dependably over a decade plus. Then double it with physicality and pushing through the pain barrier with chronic injury.

As important, the family is absolutely beautiful. Tom's kids attend school with my grand kids, and they are all down to earth and friendly, slightly shy, not a trace of snobbery or elitism. Great bloke, enduring champion, and I hope that care and leadership continues in some role with the Club.

Completely disagree, Martin has been selfish all season with playing when he wants too and likely to change his mind ala Hardwick for next season.

The release for both clubs would’ve just been coincidence and best to have Geelong announce it than have it leak.

Hawkins did a video thanking his fans, Dustin wrote a letter.

Enough said

A bit harsh to say Martin was selfish.

I mean people could turn around and say that Hawkins was selfish too for going on one year too many. Hawkins clearly is not selfish Martin isn't selfish either.

Today is about Hawkins and Martin and their careers and what they've achieved and contributed to their clubs and the AFL - today is not about calling them selfish...

Last edited:

Thanks Tom ...
Hey!!!... ya back buddy!! Good 2 see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Tom Hawkins To Retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back