Toast Tom Hawkins To Retire

Remove this Banner Ad

When thinking on Tom its hard to define his greatest attribute.

Was it that he came to the cats as a father son and stayed.. Im sure he got offers, and probably big money.

Was it that he so played well in big games and had big moments. ..Our last two flags , one might say hawk missed a few goals in those GF's but he had such an influence on the result ..it may have only been the goals missed that denied him the Norm. Not that think he would care about that.

Was it that he was such a team man. He seemed to take pride in assists , as much as kicking a bag for himself. Handing off "Lay Down Misère" goals to give others their first goal or sharing it round.

Was it for a man his size he was a very fair player. Yes he was rubbed out occasionally and had a couple of blemishes but basically for silly frustrations. For man his size if it had been matched with a temperament like Hall or a Lockett he would have probably not made it to 300 games

Was that he played his best footy post 30. ..in era that was not made for man his size and shape , and when he played against forward lines so often flooded with defenders and often ball speed was often slower than ideal.

Was it he worked on his kicking and became not a very reliable set shot but a template on how to keep working on your game. Having a soft fade that would occasionally go off and need a tweak and he get back on song. Mostly he was a player who when ball in hand, Geelong supporters would watch him shoot for goal, you felt good about his chances. He gave reward to the mids for getting the ball to him. It was rare that he had a shocking kick at goal.

Speaking of songs... If Tom Hawkins had a tribute song what would it be... It seems are contradictions to how I see Tom

Should it the breakfast club..song Don't forget about me... ? I sort of doubt anyone will forget Tom

Maybe Good Bye Yellow Brick Road as he is going back to his plough ...but again ... I doubt Tom thinks he should have stayed on the farm and he probably did listen to his old man

The thing about Tom is I think he is a lesson in so many way to young players that come in as highly rated. Id say Tom's song should be one where he demonstrates to all others how to make the most of your time ...

Maybe Pink Floyds Time is sort of that.. That song also has the flavour of regret and missing out as time pass you by... but it reflects what Tom did not let happen. He used his Time.

He absolutely squeezed the most out of himself beyond his nature talent... and when he was as talented as he was as a kid , that is saying something.

He will not have to be concerned about ten years having gone by and missing the starting gun.

He did not go for the Money and at without doubt, at some time in the future, I'm sure we will wish he was still here...

Tom made the most of his time.. He grabbed his chance, and imo, the biggest attribute anyone might give to him is he made the most of his time and his ability. He was key in 3 flags and he became a Champion of the Geelong Football Club.

Thanks Tom ...

Kudos- Beautifully written tribute.

Song: Leaps and Bounds (I remember, I remember) Paul Kelly

I've always had a nagging thought that we kind of did Hawk a bit dirty by not having a genuinely good 2nd KPF to help him out, for most of the journey.

Pods was good but always a stopgap. Vardy/Walker were bits-and-pieces types and/or injury prone. Henderson and Taylor were backmen who threw forward in desperation. Clark didn't really do much.

The poor guy had to do it mostly single-handed for years and years.
Well, he had Nathan, Pods, Mooney, Mitch, Walker, Scratcher and Jezza so we did try !

West Coast will win this game bc Geelong are gonna have every player in the F 50 creating a ring around him to get him to 800 goals.

There will be no structure.

There will be no team ethos.

" We're doing it all for Tomma. " to the tune of Billy Joels All for Leyna.

Get it done you lot and make no bones - you'd better succeed.

GO Catters

I mean they didn't change the way they played the Hawks on Easter Monday for Tommy's 350th.
Only thing that wasn't the usual well structured setup play was Jez basically telegraphing he was going to handball right in the goalsquare with two Hawks players standing basically on the mark.

Jez was desperate to get Tom a certain goal from the square....and Tom was standing there basically begging him not to give it.

Kick nearly got smothered but Hawk still put it through.
I'd imagine Tom being as unselfish as he is will want to get the win first and do the team thing.
He would be happy with Jez or Tyson kicking a bag and getting the W over his own stats.

Great player, will be missed. Fantastic career.

it brings to an end the Franklin/Jack Riewoldt/Josh Kennedy/Tom Hawkins era of forwards.

What a great period it was - between them from 2008 to 2020.....in that 13 season period they won 10 Coleman medals. The depth was fantastic.

Great player, will be missed. Fantastic career.

it brings to an end the Franklin/Jack Riewoldt/Josh Kennedy/Tom Hawkins era of forwards.

What a great period it was - between them from 2008 to 2020.....in that 13 season period they won 10 Coleman medals. The depth was fantastic.
Well said. I thought the swapping of guernseys between Hawkins and Riewoldt was a bloody great moment too.

A bit harsh to say Martin was selfish.

I mean people could turn around and say that Hawkins was selfish too for going on one year too many. Hawkins clearly is not selfish Martin isn't selfish either.

Today is about Hawkins and Martin and their careers and what they've achieved and contributed to their clubs and the AFL - today is not about calling them selfish...
A bit harsh to say Martin was selfish.

I mean people could turn around and say that Hawkins was selfish too for going on one year too many. Hawkins clearly is not selfish Martin isn't selfish either.

Today is about Hawkins and Martin and their careers and what they've achieved and contributed to their clubs and the AFL - today is not about calling them selfish...
As a career Martin hasn’t been but this he certainly has.
He has picked and chosen when he wants to play

Should’ve hung them up after his 300th and no issues.
Played 2 games since then which includes zero interstate games and the last game being the easiest he comes back for and got flogged.

You as tigers supporters deserve better, the players and staff deserve better and it will be an even bigger kick in the face if he plays on next year.

prob aiming to pull on the boots one last time against the eagles last game of the year at kardinaia park.

I hope he gets a farewell game in round 24 even if he doesnt play finals he deserves that.

Feels like the end of an era with how mooney and pods mentored him and tom passing the baton to someone else now. He will go down as a legend one of the best geelong players ive ever seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope they rename the Players Stand the Hawkins Stand.

Would be fitting to have the Hawkins Stand down one end and the Selwood Stand down the other end.

Pardon the intrusion.

What an absolute legend Tom Hawkins will go down as, one of the best forwards of the 2010’s.

I was at the MCG as a neutral fan that night in 2012 when he kicked that monster after the siren goal to beat the Hawks. Still on of the best moments I’ve witnessed live.

Thanks Tom.
I also happened to be at this game. Was on the third level right behind the goal he kicked to. Surrounded by hawks fans. As it became clear his kick was going to sail through I fell into pure hysteria. I found myself looking for other cats fans when I spotted a portly fellow across the aisle who seemed to have the same idea. We hugged and jumped and screamed in unbridled joy. Two complete strangers. In what has turned out to be the best moment I’ve had at the footy. Even beyond premierships. All thanks to big Hawk.

At least we hear from Hawkins when he retires, not like Dusty... yes he may not like talking to the media, but at least you would want to hear from a champion to say goodbye as many paid Richmond members ...
Goes to show we are lucky to have Hawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Tom Hawkins To Retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back