Toast Tom Hawkins To Retire

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it all depends on whether Geelong wants to have Tom as a contingency in case of injury to Neale or Cameron.

If the plan is for Tom to be the backup forward in case of injury, then he has to play against WC just to give him a run before finals.

If the plan would be to go small and play Henry and Rohan in conjunction with a key forward (if Neale or Cameron get hurt), then there is no reason to play him against WC.
It ALL depends on whether we beat the Saints or not. Either way, Hawk himself said he'd be trying to help in any way possible, not necessarily on-field. Chances are slim that he plays again in H & A.

Would he be eligible to play vfl finals?
No. Mark Blake was ineligible to play the 07 VFL GF- not enough games.
Also missed the 07 AFL GF - the only Cats player to miss both premierships, unless dave Johnson also missed due to injury.

I see the club is offering Hawkins membership packages which include a scarf and a GA ticket to the WCE game. Have they already planned it to be Hawk’s farewell? 👀

I see the club is offering Hawkins membership packages which include a scarf and a GA ticket to the WCE game. Have they already planned it to be Hawk’s farewell? 👀

Surely not that surprising after his retirement announcement

Round 24 was our only remaining home game following last week's news - either he'll run through the banner at home for one last time or there'll be a lap of honour prior to the game

Either way, it's the only real opportunity for Tom to say thank you in front of the Geelong fans

Plus, it's an opportunity to sell more memberships

Surely not that surprising after his retirement announcement

Round 24 was our only remaining home game following last week's news - either he'll run through the banner at home for one last time or there'll be a lap of honour prior to the game

Either way, it's the only real opportunity for Tom to say thank you in front of the Geelong fans

Plus, it's an opportunity to sell more memberships
Yep in some shape or form Hawkins will be at round 24 either playing or lap of honour.

If we have top 2 sewn up i say play him no matter what.
If not well that choice is more difficult as no player is above the club not even Hawkins.

Yep in some shape or form Hawkins will be at round 24 either playing or lap of honour.

If we have top 2 sewn up i say play him no matter what.
If not well that choice is more difficult as no player is above the club not even Hawkins.

And I doubt there's any player who understands that better than Tom himself

I know that as fans we've discussed the similarities in this current Hawkins vs Neale selection situation versus Scott's decision in 2011 of Mooney vs Hawkins

I would be surprised if Hawkins wasn't also aware of the similarities - would love to think he'd def want to be available to play but also be the #1 supporter of Neale if it's the youngster who gets the nod going into finals

I've mentioned this earlier but the question is not if Tom gets a farewell game - hopefully he does and gets another 4 goals

But what IF Neale goes down in Finals, does Tom come back in?

I've mentioned this earlier but the question is not if Tom gets a farewell game - hopefully he does and gets another 4 goals

But what IF Neale goes down in Finals, does Tom come back in?
This is why he announced his retirement for the conclusion of Geelong's season and not end of normal season or straight away.

100% chance Hawkins is training right up until he knows he won't be needed.

This is why he announced his retirement for the conclusion of Geelong's season and not end of normal season or straight away.

100% chance Hawkins is training right up until he knows he won't be needed.
Exactly so you think he's been made aware he can hopefully get up for a farewell and then he's a break glass if needed selection

No. Mark Blake was ineligible to play the 07 VFL GF- not enough games.
Also missed the 07 AFL GF - the only Cats player to miss both premierships, unless dave Johnson also missed due to injury.
Is it different there though as he played several AFL games?

Surely if you miss most of the season through injury you can play?

I might be on my lonesome in wanting to see Hawkins play against West Coast.

Play him out of the square, give Neale a chance to be a roaming CHF and Cameron can float around in his "general destroyer" mode from the wing.

I highly doubt this would influence the result. If he struggles, sub him off for Henry or Rohan.

Too sentimental? Maybe. But if we can't beat West Coast and beat them well with Hawkins in the side instead of say Henry - we aren't doing any damage in September anyway.

Play him out of the square, give Neale a chance to be a roaming CHF and Cameron can float around in his "general destroyer" mode from the wing.

I highly doubt this would influence the result. If he struggles, sub him off for Henry or Rohan.

Too sentimental? Maybe. But if we can't beat West Coast and beat them well with Hawkins in the side instead of say Henry - we aren't doing any damage in September anyway.
Agree completely. If he's right to go, he gets a game. Not at the expense of Shannon, I would emphasise. But someone can take a break (or act as sub) to accommodate this important moment in our club's history of honouring our champion players.

And it simply will not be the difference between winning and losing at home against the Weagles. If we can't get that done, Toma providing nothing out of the square will have made negligible difference to what would be a horrendously bad result.

It's not flirting with form. It's a measured approach to the prospect of needing reinforcements in a torrid finals series, and ensuring that he's ready to go if required then. So I hope he plays, I hope he gets through and does well, and then the club can work through the best mix for the finals game/s to follow.

Get back, Toma.đź‘Š

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we beat Saints, improve %, then I am more inclined to play Hawkins. Otherwise keep him for the PF or GF. Imagine the headlines, "Hawkins swansong - 7 goals and Norm Smith medal in Cats crushing victory".

I would love to be sentimentaland have Hawkins play in round 24, legend of the club and would be in the conversation for the 5 greatest Cats of all time!!!

But:

Only Collingwood V Melbourne will have been played when the final teams are named, cant see how a top 4 or even a final spot is 100% secure at that point.

Team balance with a week off coming up means Say Neale, Henry or Rohan have 2 weeks off before the first final.

If we play Hawkins and lose, or lose a spot because of percentage it would be disastrous.

Remember Port have jumped over us and GWS because of an 112 point win against Sydney.

Just cant see how we can get sentimental with the stakes being so high.

I would love to be sentimentaland have Hawkins play in round 24, legend of the club and would be in the conversation for the 5 greatest Cats of all time!!!

But:

Only Collingwood V Melbourne will have been played when the final teams are named, cant see how a top 4 or even a final spot is 100% secure at that point.

Team balance with a week off coming up means Say Neale, Henry or Rohan have 2 weeks off before the first final.

If we play Hawkins and lose, or lose a spot because of percentage it would be disastrous.

Remember Port have jumped over us and GWS because of an 112 point win against Sydney.

Just cant see how we can get sentimental with the stakes being so high.
Tom, being THE most unselfish player to don the blue and white hoops would no doubt be the first to agree with what you posted.

Tom, being THE most unselfish player to don the blue and white hoops would no doubt be the first to agree with what you posted.
The only thing he would have issue with is saying he is one of the best 5 cats of all time;)

Odd to say about a player who kicked 800 goals 5AA’s and sits second on the all time contested mark board, but I feel like he underachieved with how talented he is.

Was the victim of being born in the wrong playing era. Colossal key forward, but also very athletic with an incredible vertical leap ( lost it after his lower back injuries).

If he was to play in the 80’s-90’s I feel he would be 1,000 + goals and a centurion on several occasions and talked up alongside dunstall Coventry Lockett.

Incredible testament to his talent that he was able to reinvent himself to adapt to modern football
He was a victim of a stuffed back. Not playing in the wrong era.

He was a victim of a stuffed back. Not playing in the wrong era.
that impacted him, but overall his style of play and attributes are more suited to a bygone era of the 80’s and 90’s of strong wrestling key forwards 1 out.

Would have kicked several tons in those eras. Not pb’s of 50-60 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Tom Hawkins To Retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back