Toast Tom Hawkins To Retire

Remove this Banner Ad

The way he was running on that video they showed a couple of days ago gives me no confidence he'll be anywhere near fit enough to play a final.
I agree. For a clip that was undoubtedly intended to provide a sliver of hope around Toma's potential return, I found that it had entirely the opposite effect on me.

Seems extremely long odds to make it back, given that's how he's going at this stage.

The way he was running on that video they showed a couple of days ago gives me no confidence he'll be anywhere near fit enough to play a final.

There's some of an older generation who are holding out hope and that he'll line up first week of the finals

I think those who aren't quite that generation are understanding that there's really no room for sentimentality, especially in finals and that we've likely seen Hawkins in the hoops for the last time

I know right now that Scott & Tom are saying all the positive things heading into finals, but I dare say what's said to the media & fans would be a lot different to what's said behind closed doors

It's what we were discussing - we'd posted the info earlier today when it was first announced he won't be playing next week
Yes, hadn’t read those posts, was eager to correct my ‘It’s happening’ post

There's some of an older generation who are holding out hope and that he'll line up first week of the finals

I think those who aren't quite that generation are understanding that there's really no room for sentimentality, especially in finals and that we've likely seen Hawkins in the hoops for the last time

I know right now that Scott & Tom are saying all the positive things heading into finals, but I dare say what's said to the media & fans would be a lot different to what's said behind closed doors
The club have been very non committal the whole way through, even back to Scott a couple of weeks ago on 360.

Our coach loves using vague language, but I get the feeling that if both the club (and Tom for that matter) were intent on him playing in the finals, they would have made it a bit more clear.

Something along the lines of this would make more sense in that case...

"Tom's progressing really well in his rehab. There are still check marks that he needs to meet, but all things being equal we expect him to line up week 1 of the finals if we qualify"

Even something like that still leaves room for ambiguity, and we've deliberately decided to be even more vague.

If anyone deserves a send off of sorts, it's Tomahawk. He's a legend, and we're all in his debt as GFC supporters...but the planets just don't look like they're aligning.

Deep down, I think the club and Tomahawk know that Neale needs to be backed in over the next 6 weeks, but they obviously can't just come out and say that.

Farewell Tom Hawkins at last Home game

https://www.facebook.com/share/xQv7MurYzvavHsQd/?mibextid=ox5AEW

I agree. For a clip that was undoubtedly intended to provide a sliver of hope around Toma's potential return, I found that it had entirely the opposite effect on me.

Seems extremely long odds to make it back, given that's how he's going at this stage.
as soon as I saw that I knew we'd seen him play for the last time. Tomma's doing the right thing by the club (and himself) and doing everything he can to be seen to be trying to get back, providing the example and leadership, but he's done.

as soon as I saw that I knew we'd seen him play for the last time. Tomma's doing the right thing by the club (and himself) and doing everything he can to be seen to be trying to get back, providing the example and leadership, but he's done.
Incredibly sad.

And absolutely true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if we lose Cameron or Neale, you think there's no chance we see Hawkins in a semi final for instance?

Probably depends on how Hawkins is actually tracking at that stage - if he's on one foot, I'd rather say no then have him limp out there and not be able to perform

IF we (MC) can finally make the hard call to drop/omit/manage one of Henry or Rohan from the team, then maybe it's them who'd come in first

Probably depends on how Hawkins is actually tracking at that stage - if he's on one foot, I'd rather say no then have him limp out there and not be able to perform

IF we (MC) can finally make the hard call to drop/omit/manage one of Henry or Rohan from the team, then maybe it's them who'd come in first
Yeah I was more alluding to how they, from the vision, would know Hawkins will be in no shape to play in say 3-4 weeks time if one of our two key forwards miss out? Whether it was based in logic or just the raw emotion of seeing a middle aged man not run fluently.

Yeah I was more alluding to how they, from the vision, would know Hawkins will be in no shape to play in say 3-4 weeks time if one of our two key forwards miss out? Whether it was based in logic or just the raw emotion of seeing a middle aged man not run fluently.

At this stage of things, I have Hawkins as more of a break glass option rather than a certainty to return - come the first week of finals it'll be 11 weeks since his injury, and just not sure we could willingly take him into a final with no matches under his belt for the best part of 3 months, especially if other options are available

BUT if something happens, Cameron or Neale go down and that creates an opening - that's a different scenario and one I wouldn't completely rule him out from playing in

I still hold out hope …still it’s the end to an era and I’ll miss him as much as I miss his old mate Joel

I will enjoy seeing them two together having a beer and watching the side from the stands next year
The two things I remember most from '22 are Joel's goal and them two getting emotional, all in the last. Both absolute servants of the club. Club Legends. Love 'em both! Wonder if Tom will go into the media, into coaching or disappear from the scene altogether and go back to farming?

The two things I remember most from '22 are Joel's goal and them two getting emotional, all in the last. Both absolute servants of the club. Club Legends. Love 'em both! Wonder if Tom will go into the media, into coaching or disappear from the scene altogether and go back to farming?
I’d say the latter personally, haven’t seen any hints from him via the media or coaching but you never know

It'd be an absolute 'break glass' moment for him to play imo.

The vision showed a guy jogging on a very tender foot. He looked real proppy, and it suggested a miraculous recovery would be needed for him to make any contribution come finals time.

He is a natural in front of camera

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Tom Hawkins To Retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back