Toast Tom Hawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Not only the goals he has kicked either. He has given away or heavily influenced as many as he has kicked in our close wins against the Pies, Bombers, Pies and Hawks.

underrated post IMO. Hawkins is so good at knocking the ball to advantage, he's making an art form of it.

Let's not tempt fate by crowing about him too much .
You never really 100 percent get over those kinds of back injuries. He is a big boy and that huge body will take a bit of management to take him through a ( hopefully) long and dominant career.
Love what he is doing at the moment though. If Kersten or another KPF can cut it at this level it will be a boon for him.

Just to think people on this board wanted him traded in 2010. And for what, Koschitzke?

He's easily our most important player right now, even last year at a lesser capacity he was still better than Josh "at least he's fit" Walker, as it was proved in the first final.

A fit Tomahawk is vital to our success.

underrated post IMO. Hawkins is so good at knocking the ball to advantage, he's making an art form of it.
Indeed, as I said somewhere else it seems his time spent in the ruck is reaping rewards now.

Without a true CHF Hawk is probably close to the most important player in the side.

I like Kersten but he needs another season at least before he becomes a dominant player that can really get us over the line if Hawk is down.

This unfortunately is true of Vardy as well !

But just maybe - Hawkins, Vardy and Kersten will be enough of the threat next season to create problems for most defences - even though two of them are inexperienced.

Then we just need sort out the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that you have to remember about Hawkins is that he is so unselfish. Even when he is within range of goal, he looks for possible opportunities to set up another teammate. I reckon Hawkins is such a great forward because of this. You can't just look at his goal tally, because it doesn't fully reflect his influence on the team.

Does anyone think Hawkins still has some improvement in him? If he does, get excited cats fans!! His goalkicking has come along nicely this year.

I love how Hawkins just battled through all the tough times and harsh criticism he got, mainly in 2012. He was understandably frustrated, but never seemed to give up or lose hope and confidence in himself. Look where he is now. IMO, he is One of the best forwards in the game, and he's only 26. Can't help but feel proud of him and crack a wide smile whenever he kicks a goal.

Last edited:
I like what Tom has done but I think it says something about our entries into our forward 50 and how we structure up in the forward line that Tom does not kick 5-6 quite a few times over the season.

This is what I though earlier in the year, however I've come to the conclusion that while he would certainly have a few more to his name by the end of the year if the I50 quality was better, he's not an 80 goal a year forward. Unstoppable in a one-out wrestling match, very good mark in general, accurate kick, but struggles a bit to find space, and not the smartest leader or the most prolific. Basically just wants it bombed long to the square 8 times out of 10.

Just a different take on things for variety's sake. Love the manchild obviously. Possibly my favourite player.

Let's not tempt fate by crowing about him too much .
You never really 100 percent get over those kinds of back injuries. He is a big boy and that huge body will take a bit of management to take him through a ( hopefully) long and dominant career.
Love what he is doing at the moment though. If Kersten or another KPF can cut it at this level it will be a boon for him.
Very true, back injuries are often chronic at elite level sport as the load his body is under is a constant. Even with time off, recurrences are common. But looks to be managing it particularly well at this point.

Can't wait to see the fit Vardy/Hawkins/Kersten combo next year. Whether that's together or just a rotation, we we could see some serious goals being kicked.

This is what I though earlier in the year, however I've come to the conclusion that while he would certainly have a few more to his name by the end of the year if the I50 quality was better, he's not an 80 goal a year forward. Unstoppable in a one-out wrestling match, very good mark in general, accurate kick, but struggles a bit to find space, and not the smartest leader or the most prolific. Basically just wants it bombed long to the square 8 times out of 10.

Just a different take on things for variety's sake. Love the manchild obviously. Possibly my favourite player.
Disagree just a bit, he's not a terrible lead. Reckon because of our lack of dominant fwds, opponents can afford to play a man in front of him which kills the opportunity he has to lead. Agree it can probably be better, but he ends up in the square because he doesn't have anywhere else to go. When we rebound quickly, he's a monster on the lead.

Very true, back injuries are often chronic at elite level sport as the load his body is under is a constant. Even with time off, recurrences are common. But looks to be managing it particularly well at this point.

Can't wait to see the fit Vardy/Hawkins/Kersten combo next year. Whether that's together or just a rotation, we we could see some serious goals being kicked.

Disagree just a bit, he's not a terrible lead. Reckon because of our lack of dominant fwds, opponents can afford to play a man in front of him which kills the opportunity he has to lead. Agree it can probably be better, but he ends up in the square because he doesn't have anywhere else to go. When we rebound quickly, he's a monster on the lead.

Yes agree, it is definitely hard to lead when there's a spare man blocking space. I believe however that he has become a bit lazy with his leads as a result of this. I believe a really smart and committed leader can get around it to a degree, while Hawkins seems inclined to accept defeat more often than he ought.

And doesn't seem to attempt high pack marks at all anymore either. Early on in his career he'd launch at a few.

Yes agree, it is definitely hard to lead when there's a spare man blocking space. I believe however that he has become a bit lazy with his leads as a result of this. I believe a really smart and committed leader can get around it to a degree, while Hawkins seems inclined to accept defeat more often than he ought.
Hawkins has spent quite some time telling the umpires about how he's getting held in contests before the ball is within cooee, too, this year- doesn't seem to do him much good, unfortunately. Another unfortunate thing is that he can't just start elbowing those players out of the way, either, because he knows the umps would be very quick to penalise him- funny how the umps are quick to see some things but can't see the obvious, isn't it?

Hawkins has spent quite some time telling the umpires about how he's getting held in contests before the ball is within cooee, too, this year- doesn't seem to do him much good, unfortunately. Another unfortunate thing is that he can't just start elbowing those players out of the way, either, because he knows the umps would be very quick to penalise him- funny how the umps are quick to see some things but can't see the obvious, isn't it?
He needs to get moving more, then it would become more obvious. If you just stand there rooted to the spot you'll never get many free kicks because it's too hard to tell who is holding whom.

He needs to get moving more, then it would become more obvious. If you just stand there rooted to the spot you'll never get many free kicks because it's too hard to tell who is holding whom.
That's true, SJ. He seems to go well when he gets running out of the 50 but he's of lesser value to us if he's marking up on the wing than if he's marking just outside or on the 50. Maybe he's got to get moving, as you said- but roam not too far from goal. That's where our 2nd and 3rd talls come in and slot in behind him to cover the hole he leaves. I'm not convinced that Kersten is the entire answer on his own- it'd be nice to have Brown up there as well- or Walker- just to have someone take the extra opponent off Hawkins.

Love it when he marks and lines up just outside 50, he's just so comfortable at that range (preferably not much of an angle) and slots them in with authority.
I do miss him flying for big grabs though, can't have it all I guess..

And doesn't seem to attempt high pack marks at all anymore either. Early on in his career he'd launch at a few.

I've often thought that he needs to set out deliberately to do it more often.
Even if he just plucks one every 2 or 3 games, it raises a whole new set of questions in the minds of the defenders about where to position themselves; in particular, it can drag a 2nd or 3rd man into a useless position behind the pack, blocking his potential run.
And he had the leaping ability, of course, as he showed as a schoolboy athlete and early in his career, though it may now be limited by his increased bulk and back problems. But something is probably still there, they didn't call his old man Jumping Jack for nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Tom Hawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back