tom hawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Phat said:
Tom was 195cm and 85kg when he turned 15. Not sure if he's grown since then.

Is roughly around the 197cm mark at the moment. Not sure weight wise, but I'd suspect he's put some muscle on.

For those interested, have dug up some info on Tom's performances this year thus far. Appears to be doing fairly well considering he's being double-teamed already.

Preseason

MGS 18.5 (113) defeated Alfred College 8.10 (58)

Goals Kicked: Tom Hawkins 3
Named in Best: NA
Mentions in Report: “With the likes of Tom Hawkins…rotating through the forward line, most opposition sides will have real trouble containing these players.”

MGS 14.7 (91) lost to St. Peters College 13.15 (93)

Goals: Tom Hawkins 5
Best: NA
Report: “Tom Hawkins was also outstanding at CHF. He was simply too big and smart for the opposition, who, having done their homework, double teamed him all match”

MGS 11.15 (81) def Scotch College 12.7 (79)

Best: Tom Hawkins (1)
Report: “Tom Hawkins was dangerous up forward…”

Season

Round 1 (Bye - Practice)

MGS 10.6 (66) def Assumption College 7.9 (51)

Goals: Tom Hawkins: 4
Best: NA
Report: “As we turned towards our respective change rooms to prepare our charges, and not having previously in our discussion mentioned Tom Hawkins, Ray said quietly, “and where do you play young Hawkins?" ..."Young Tom Hawkins plays up forward, and he kicked 4 goals.”

Round 2

MGS 18.11 (119) def Brighton Grammar 14.10 (94)

Goals: Tom Hawkins 3
Report: “Tom Hawkins, double and even triple teamed at times, was the focus at centre half forward, and did well.”

--

Thanks GeeCat.

The depth of information around isn't great, so it's excellent to see such stuff.

With Tommy Hawkins, NA23, still to be added we have some talented tall timber locked in for our future.

Question, for Geecat, Have you see young Tom. If not F/S , where would you think he would go in the draft. The numbers sound good but in junior footy numbers/stats can be that way, Im sure Travis Cloke would haver good number playing Juniors as well

Turbocat said:
With Tommy Hawkins, NA23, still to be added we have some talented tall timber locked in for our future.

Was actually thinking along those same lines recently. If those two boys can live up to half the hype that's been generated and team well with others like Playfair, Johnson, Mackie, Chapman etc we'll have ourselves a solid forward rotation going for a few years.

That being said, it has hints of the Blight era, where our forward line was potent and our defence so so. In the Thompson era it's been the opposite, with our defence proving to be more solid than our forward line. As it stands, we haven't really got any mouthwatering prospects for defence at the moment once Scarlett, Harley and co move past their best.

Turbocat said:
Question, for Geecat, Have you see young Tom. If not F/S , where would you think he would go in the draft. The numbers sound good but in junior footy numbers/stats can be that way, Im sure Travis Cloke would haver good number playing Juniors as well

Seen him play twice mate.

Has impressed me both times, although the times I have seen him play he has basically stayed at full-forward, thus it was rather hard to tell regarding his work ethic etc, as he didn't move far from the home. Moves well for a big lad and takes strong marks, most of which have been on the lead. The contested marks I have seen tend to be one on one as opposed to crashing a pack of 4 or 5 (although this facet of his game may have changed seeing as he's made the transition to CHF).

His kicking for goal looks very solid and at his age he doesn't appear to have any bad habits. When he has gone into the ruck he has showed some nice tap work to go with his good leap.

Too early to tell where he'd go if he wasn't father/son material. The 2006 draft is shaping as the next big draft since 2001, and generally you'd expect there to be some great talent out there. Regarding the junior stats, it's a fair point considering he's generally bigger than most players, but they were simply an indicator as to how he's performing at the moment. Nevertheless the boy has ability, a bucketload of it if you ask me.

GeeCat said:
That being said, it has hints of the Blight era, where our forward line was potent and our defence so so. In the Thompson era it's been the opposite, with our defence proving to be more solid than our forward line. As it stands, we haven't really got any mouthwatering prospects for defence at the moment once Scarlett, Harley and co move past their best.
Excellent Point , the only thing Id say is a point raise in another thread is most talls drafted are forwards.Backmen generally are the forwards that didnt get the gig. Tom could end up, just like Scarlo, playing in his fathers position. CHB??? Still Id like to see in the next draft or two them getting a more verstile type like Harley. The difference between Thompson and Blight is not forwardlin/Backline as I see it,its more about development.Blight wouldnt even talk to you if you were out of the seniors.The reason we failed with blight is he failed to develop/groom players in the backline, Thompson wouldn't let this happen.

GeeCat said:
Seen him play twice mate.

Has impressed me both times, although the times I have seen him play he has basically stayed at full-forward, thus it was rather hard to tell regarding his work ethic etc, as he didn't move far from the home. Moves well for a big lad and takes strong marks, most of which have been on the lead. The contested marks I have seen tend to be one on one as opposed to crashing a pack of 4 or 5 (although this facet of his game may have changed seeing as he's made the transition to CHF).

His kicking for goal looks very solid and at his age he doesn't appear to have any bad habits. When he has gone into the ruck he has showed some nice tap work to go with his good leap.

Too early to tell where he'd go if he wasn't father/son material. The 2006 draft is shaping as the next big draft since 2001, and generally you'd expect there to be some great talent out there. Regarding the junior stats, it's a fair point considering he's generally bigger than most players, but they were simply an indicator as to how he's performing at the moment. Nevertheless the boy has ability, a bucketload of it if you ask me.

All sounds good.Does he have a leap like his old.If so we are in for some Special moments

Well here is another idea - Nathan to CHB..

It allows him to look after a player rather than be a focal point and also takes alot of the spotlight off of him.

Hawkins up forward, maybe full forwardwith H still out at half forward.

Man, sucks to be a Geelong supporter!!!

Turbocat said:
the only thing Id say is a point raise in another thread is most talls drafted are forwards.Backmen generally are the forwards that didnt get the gig. Tom could end up, just like Scarlo, playing in his fathers position. CHB??? Still Id like to see in the next draft or two them getting a more verstile type like Harley.

Fair point, although generally speaking your fullbacks are defensive through and through. In my view, alot of versatile forwards cum backmen are best suited as a third tall or holding centre half back. Not too many have what it takes to be a mainstay fullback.

On Hawkins, at this stage it would appear his talent is too great to waste at CHB.

Turbocat said:
The difference between Thompson and Blight is not forwardlin/Backline as I see it,its more about development.Blight wouldnt even talk to you if you were out of the seniors.The reason we failed with blight is he failed to develop/groom players in the backline, Thompson wouldn't let this happen.

Perhaps, but what I was hinting at was more that we could be lacking key defenders to go along with our upcoming key forwards.

Turbocat said:
Does he have a leap like his old.If so we are in for some Special moments

The leaping prowess has been handed down, and certainly gives him an advantage at centre half forward as well as the odd pinch hit in the ruck.

Surely we can get a couple of good defenders out of Egan, Spencer and Lonergan?

Egan and Lonners both looked good on debut, and Spencer was captain of the WA U18 side as apparently is a very dedicated person so should improve. Perhaps H will end up down back once again?

Thought I'd add this:

Round 3

MGS 11-15 (81) Defeated Scotch
College 12-7 (79)

Best: Tom Hawkins
Report: “Tom Hawkins was dangerous up forward...”

Looking good.

Does anyone else think he looks really weird in that photo, maybe it's because he's so bloody huge for his age.

donkster said:
Thought I'd add this:

Round 3

MGS 11-15 (81) Defeated Scotch
College 12-7 (79)

Best: Tom Hawkins
Report: “Tom Hawkins was dangerous up forward...”

Looking good.
:confused:

GeeCat said:
Preseason

MGS 11.15 (81) def Scotch College 12.7 (79)

Report: “Tom Hawkins was dangerous up forward…”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Errmm.. what the hell? Don't know if that was my fault, but I grabbed the details from one of their bulletins and it said round three...

donkster said:
Errmm.. what the hell? Don't know if that was my fault, but I grabbed the details from one of their bulletins and it said round three...

Think you've mixed it up with the preseason results.

Anyway, here's Round 3:

MGS 24.10 (154) def Carey 5.9 (39)

Goals: Tom Hawkins 3
Best: None
Report: “Up forward there were options everywhere, with Bryan Vance and Tom Hawkins kicking eight goals between them”

Tom is about 195cm and has legs the size of tree trunks!!!!!!

Always hard to tell whether someone could be drafted, but he's as close as you can get to knowing he'll be drafted. Good leap and kick.

I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing him in the blue and white hoops!

Remove this Banner Ad

tom hawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back