Bumped Tom Hawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

No one should be criticised for doubting him, because he wasnt that good. Yes, it takes players like him awhile to develop, (and I was always on his bandwagon) but at the same time, how many players do we sit around and wait to get better and they never really do? I guess I dont understand the need to call people out when they are wrong, when we all want the same thing really; the success and improvement of the Geelong Football Club.

No one should be criticised for doubting him, because he wasnt that good. Yes, it takes players like him awhile to develop, (and I was always on his bandwagon) but at the same time, how many players do we sit around and wait to get better and they never really do? I guess I dont understand the need to call people out when they are wrong, when we all want the same thing really; the success and improvement of the Geelong Football Club.

We all have the capacity to make calls that are wide of the mark. Few would rail against that. If you take the time to read the thread many of us who are Hawk supporters spoke of deficiencies we saw in him. What some of us objected to was the mindless savaging of Hawk that was offered with no reasoned opinion. Like he’s a ‘spud’.

Anyone with the most elementary football knowledge could see he was struggling in many parts of the game but that he possessed a lot of innate football ability and frankly deserved better than mindless cheap shots like the one mentioned before.

I admit to a bias as Hawk was very kind to a person I know who was doing it tough and he didn’t want that kindness publicised.

Yeah but you never hand it out David. So you probably shouldn't give it out.

No one goes back looking for those who actually called a player a 200 game player but failed.
I agree, that people who go over the top with bagging deserve a bit of crap. But let's not get carried away.

Rubbish. No-one expressed more support for Travis Varcoe on this board and I handed it out to plenty who disagreed...and copped plenty in return.

I also handed it out to you when you wrote your now famous Smedts post...2 examples and there are others.

I give my opinions....just not in an "in ya face" kind of way.

You ought to try it sometime.

We all have the capacity to make calls that are wide of the mark. Few would rail against that. If you take the time to read the thread many of us who are Hawk supporters spoke of deficiencies we saw in him. What some of us objected to was the mindless savaging of Hawk that was offered with no reasoned opinion. Like he’s a ‘spud’.

Anyone with the most elementary football knowledge could see he was struggling in many parts of the game but that he possessed a lot of innate football ability and frankly deserved better than mindless cheap shots like the one mentioned before.

I admit to a bias as Hawk was very kind to a person I know who was doing it tough and he didn’t want that kindness publicised.

Spot on. As the old saying goes, opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has one and most of them stink.

I'm not one who thinks our club or players are above criticism or analysis. But as you say, it has to be reasoned.

And if Tom's performances are open to often scathing attacks in these parts simply because he gets paid to run around for our footy club, why should the posters who put them in the public domain not be open to the same?

I forget that Hawkins was a father-son selection. Incredible to think that in recent times, your best midfielder, best defender and best key forward were all acquired under the father-son criteria

Hawkins is a classic example of everyone making hasty judgments about a kid who just needed a bit of time to mature. He is bossing games just like it was TAC Cup. I felt a bit sorry for Schoey the other night. There wasn't much he could do.

I forget that Hawkins was a father-son selection. Incredible to think that in recent times, your best midfielder, best defender and best key forward were all acquired under the father-son criteria

Hawkins is a classic example of everyone making hasty judgments about a kid who just needed a bit of time to mature. He is bossing games just like it was TAC Cup. I felt a bit sorry for Schoey the other night. There wasn't much he could do.
And for the latest two (can't remember the first one), I was told for years and years by flogs that they would never become anything, and were only getting a game because of their surname.

And for the latest two (can't remember the first one), I was told for years and years by flogs that they would never become anything, and were only getting a game because of their surname.

There certainly wasn't much fuss made about Scarlett, mainly because he became a star when were still pretty ordinary. No one minds you having gun father/son players when you finish 11th every year, it's only when you start winning it becomes unfair strangely enough.

Absolutely accurate with Ablett and Hawkins now. Already a lot of opposition fans are pretending they thought Hawkins would always make it. Complete nonsense.

Exactly, and yet more evidence that players take time to develop. Whether it's Hawkins or Lonergan for us, or Schoenmakers for you guys, you can't, or at least shouldn't, make rash judgements after less than 50 games. Seems every Monday morning footy fans have their memories wiped. Schoenmakers is definitely a better player than last year; but he's still conceding a ton of size to Hawkins who now knows how to use his strength. No other defenders have been faring any better recently either.

Here's an interesting stat in regards to Hawkins. In his first 5 years at the club (2007-2011), he had 10 or more kicks in a game 7 times. In 2012, he's had 10 or more kicks 8 times. Bear in mind too that in previous years he was played as a CHF and 2nd ruckman, so was up the ground a lot more than he has been this year.

Here's an interesting stat in regards to Hawkins. In his first 5 years at the club (2007-2011), he had 10 or more kicks in a game 7 times. In 2012, he's had 10 or more kicks 8 times. Bear in mind too that in previous years he was played as a CHF and 2nd ruckman, so was up the ground a lot more than he has been this year.

Amazing turn around isnt it. He stacks up EXTREMELY well statistically to John Brown at the same stage of their careers (kicked more goals from less games too) and both played in comparable sides.
The upside to the T-Bone Tommahawk Hawkins is HUGE!
Hes not only taken the next step this year, hes taken 4 and smashed the steps into little pebbles.

Exactly one year ago Chris Dawes was just a big, lumbering young Pie KPP who had played perhaps a dozen games in his career without doing all that much, a glimpse here, a couple of goals there. Suddenly, he got selected in the Pie's side toward the middle of the season and has turned into a dual-threat sort of player, who plays taller than his 193 cm but also can lead like the wind and present contest after contest.

Can Hawkins suddenly just 'turn' into something like this? Dawes' ascension from promising youngster to KPP mainstay is amazingly quick given he also had spent a few years in the system albeit having also needed to come back from a knee. I do hope Hawkins can just look at what Dawes is, and learn from how he has managed to go from just an unproven youngster into a forward line dynamo. (i know he also gets a lot more forward pressure help from his mates) But there must be at least something to learn from here.

Hawkins was important in the 2009 GF, and so he has proven he can do it on the biggest of stages. he just has to bottle that belief and apply it weekly. I hope he can he has too much size and promise not to.

Good....i haven't bagged him. But remarkably i suggested the he look to Dawes to find what he could be:p:eek::oops:!

And now with his foot injuries behind him (they must have played a role in hindering his confidence in that 09-early 11 period, his established role as the key forward, and it's all upside here. I am very excited to think of what his career can produce from here on in, he has a chance to perhaps be looked upon as Geelong's best big key forward of all time (thinking of Flanagan, Wooller and the like). Gary Sr is a totally different story, but at 24 now Hawkins now has the confidence and belief and the talent to do it all.

same thing is happening to T Hunt on another thread. And someone called for Motlop's head the other day ........

there seem to be a few supporters that turn the moment that less than perfection is provided ....

same thing is happening to T Hunt on another thread. And someone called for Motlop's head the other day ........

there seem to be a few supporters that turn the moment that less than perfection is provided ....

Happens every year.

Only have to look at the reaction last year after the Swans loss. The bandwagoner's badly exposed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ha, that Swans post-game thread was quite funny. :D

Sigh, i wish i saw it.

That was the day as soon as i finished watching the game i decided to ride my bike to clear my head. Ended up crashing and destroying my shoulder and becoming permanantly disabled. Couldnt fly over for the GF and id won tickets in the ballet.

we must meet in the SC one day
Haha, well I'm always up for a brew. Well except the Dogs game, where I've got to fly up to Sydney for work straight after the game. Although the Sydney game the following week I'll be more 'social'.

Just look out for the guy wearing that Hawkins polo.

Haha, well I'm always up for a brew. Well except the Dogs game, where I've got to fly up to Sydney for work straight after the game. Although the Sydney game the following week I'll be more 'social'.

Just look out for the guy wearing that Hawkins polo.

Huh?!? You can get Hawkins polos?!?
Why do I not know of this!?!!

When it gets to the point that it's clear someone on this board is happy that one of our players is struggling, because it proves them right, that's when it's a problem. If I come on here during the week and say something like "Player X isn't offering enough at the moment, he needs to have a spell in the VFL" and he keeps his spot, I'd be much happier for him to prove me wrong by playing a blinder, than for him to struggle, so I can come on here to tell everyone how right I was.

Until last week, I wasn't convinced that Orren Stephenson had done enough to retain his spot on the list. You can bet I'm happy that he played so well on Friday. I was calling for Josh Hunt to be dropped after the Carlton game; he's been very good ever since. I'm happy to be wrong, when it means one of our players is exceeding my expectations.

When it gets to the point that it's clear someone on this board is happy that one of our players is struggling, because it proves them right, that's when it's a problem. If I come on here during the week and say something like "Player X isn't offering enough at the moment, he needs to have a spell in the VFL" and he keeps his spot, I'd be much happier for him to prove me wrong by playing a blinder, than for him to struggle, so I can come on here to tell everyone how right I was.

Until last week, I wasn't convinced that Orren Stephenson had done enough to retain his spot on the list. You can bet I'm happy that he played so well on Friday. I was calling for Josh Hunt to be dropped after the Carlton game; he's been very good ever since. I'm happy to be wrong, when it means one of our players is exceeding my expectations.

That is an issue I agree. However, I’m not nearly as put out by that as I am with the few –and it is only a few – who are prepared to savage a player with a put down but aren’t prepared to back-up their opinion by providing any reasoning as to why they’ve reached their conclusion.

That is an issue I agree. However, I’m not nearly as put out by that as I am with the few –and it is only a few – who are prepared to savage a player with a put down but aren’t prepared to back-up their opinion by providing any reasoning as to why they’ve reached their conclusion.

Yet you are deadset against boak joining us, and continue to rubbish him, and your reasoning is rubbish.

When I read this I thought you said you were a Hawthorn supporter, then it made sense lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back