Player Watch Tom Langdon (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully Dunn and Moore get their bodies right. Will be a really solid backline if Moore can become the player we hope.

Agree, but would like to see Moore as a swingman, am convinced it could wreak havoc in the forward line with the way the ball is delivered now and his maturing.

Langdon and Moore are housemates and pretty tight. Think the overall bond we have in this club creates a culture that helps players want to stay and as has been outlined above, for less.

While people wanted May, Langdon is younger and May would have been on big coin and cost us a bit to land.

Took 4 more intercept marks than Jeremy McGovern in the finals series.

If he can take that form into next year..
He was a bargain. Really rate guys who take unders to remain loyal.
Played an extra game also

Agree, but would like to see Moore as a swingman, am convinced it could wreak havoc in the forward line with the way the ball is delivered now and his maturing.

Langdon and Moore are housemates and pretty tight. Think the overall bond we have in this club creates a culture that helps players want to stay and as has been outlined above, for less.

While people wanted May, Langdon is younger and May would have been on big coin and cost us a bit to land.
Let him settle in a position first. There's been a lot of attempts to use blokes as smingmen, but not many have been successful. It only seems to work with the AFL elite. With blokes further down the totem pole, they tend to become mediocre 'utilities'.

Could we start next season with a back 6 like this?

B: Langdon Dunn Maynard
HB: Howe Moore Crisp

I suppose it depends on whether or not Dunn can get back and up for it by round 1.

Or could we still sign May and May would play where Dunn is above?

Starting to like our approach to contracts
* Degoey stayed for less
* Moore stayed for less
* Elliott stayed for less
* Langdon stayed for less

Really good Clubs do this stuff

I would remove Elliot from that group. Needs to get healthy before we can rate anything with him. A 1yr extension is basically a free hit for both him and the club.

I like the idea behind your post, but the truth is we dont have any of the facts.
Is it "less" compared to what?
- how we rated them?
- what another offer was?
- their true "value"?

Without transparency of contracts we can't really know those answers.
We know with JDG we did have to increase our offer to close some of the gap with Norths (inflated) offer. He has shown that was clearly the right decision.

With Moore and Langdon - im not as convinced just yet.
I am very glad we have kept them both, but I really hope we have not reached too far over our valuations to keep them, which may have other repercussions in chasing FA's over the next few years.

I would remove Elliot from that group. Needs to get healthy before we can rate anything with him. A 1yr extension is basically a free hit for both him and the club.

I like the idea behind your post, but the truth is we dont have any of the facts.
- how we rated them?
- their true "value"?

We know with JDG we did have to increase our offer to close some of the gap with Norths (inflated) offer. He has shown that was clearly the right decision.

I am very glad we have kept them both, but I really hope we have not reached too far over our valuations to keep them, which may have other repercussions in chasing FA's over the next few years.

Do we know what we re-signed Langdon for? Was reportedly offered 5+ year contracts at Freo and Sydney, and would have undoubtedly accepted less to stay (you're always offered more to move clubs), of course that doesn't necessarily mean our offer is 'less' than what he's worth to the club.

- how we rated them?
- their true "value"?

Remember that Well's money comes off the SC next year and some are due to retire in a few years time. One could also argue, had Moore not got injured and actually started fulfilling his potential, he could have been on more like JDG money next year.

Let him settle in a position first. There's been a lot of attempts to use blokes as smingmen, but not many have been successful. It only seems to work with the AFL elite. With blokes further down the totem pole, they tend to become mediocre 'utilities'.

Big Ronnie was always a useful swingman. He tended to move up and down the field in a game, depending on need. Was unlucky to miss the 1990 flag.

People on this board are obsessed with swing men.

You only swing players when your original plan isn’t working. I’d rather have a rock solid plan A in a defender who can do his job week in, week out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember that Well's money comes off the SC next year and some are due to retire in a few years time. One could also argue, had Moore not got injured and actually started fulfilling his potential, he could have been on more like JDG money next year.

But by that stage we will also be having to pay for new contracts/extensions to:
JDG
Grundy
Stephensen
Moore (if he gets healthy)
Sier
Phillips
Maynard
Who will all be commanding significantly more money on their next contracts. (JDG and Grundy could easily command $1m+ on their next deals, as could Stepho once he reaches his peak and also Moore if he ever gets consistently healthy and performs at the level we hope he could)
With the likes of Wells, Mayney, Pendles, and to a lesser extent Sidey, coming off their bigger deals.

This all goes in cycles. But any decision we make has to have one eye on our (potential) cap position going forward and requires a balance between putting us in the right position now and being discipilined enough to not screw us in the medium-to-long term. (See GWS's current stocktake sale)

People on this board are obsessed with swing men.

You only swing players when your original plan isn’t working. I’d rather have a rock solid plan A in a defender who can do his job week in, week out.

But I would add the benefit of covering for injuries (again, not your plan A) is important.
If you can pay for 1 AFL quality guy who can backup 2 positions, that is (everything else being equal) better management than paying for 2 separate guys who can only back up 1 position each.

Could we start next season with a back 6 like this?

B: Langdon Dunn Maynard
HB: Howe Moore Crisp

I suppose it depends on whether or not Dunn can get back and up for it by round 1.

Or could we still sign May and May would play where Dunn is above?
I like it

Fast mobile and can contest the air (Moore and Howe)

But I would add the benefit of covering for injuries (again, not your plan A) is important.
If you can pay for 1 AFL quality guy who can backup 2 positions, that is (everything else being equal) better management than paying for 2 separate guys who can only back up 1 position each.
Sure, but while players who can play forward and back are marginally more valuable;
a) you’ll be paying a premium for a swing man
b) you’ll be using more draft capital for a player who may become a swing man
c) you can compromise a player’s development by trying to turn him into a swing man instead of letting him lock down one role

tyTc1Nl.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Tom Langdon (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back