Analysis Tom Langdon - time for a spell son.

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't need a spell, just needs to kick it before he gets runned down.

Doesn't need a spell, just needs to kick it before he gets runned down.

Agree. I think his decision making will improve as he continues to develop. It's only his second season after all.

Matthew Scharenberg.

With 5 weeks of VFL footy under his belt and back to back 20+ possession games the difference between what Langdon is providing now and what Scharenberg will provide is minimal at best.

The relegation would do Langdon some good, IMO, and ditto the promotion for Scharanberg. Though I doubt it will happen.
Haven't seen him play tbh but it seems a bit early for scharenberg if reports are correct. Maybe more likely in a couple of months.

Agree. I think his decision making will improve as he continues to develop. It's only his second season after all.

Well, before I was advocating for him to be dropped, but I think that was just my frustration on him, now that I've had a night sleep, I can see his performance wasn't all that bad.

I think that's too much of a rush job. Unless he belts the door down, I'd wait another month or so. Steady as she goes. With Reid also coming on, we don't need to rush Scharenberg.

That being said I think Nathan Brown will come under some more heat in the next month. His mobility I think is suspect and his set-up is quite average. Reid might come in to fill the Brown role alongside Frost which opens a space for a spare man.

Oxley is to my mind far superior in his disposal than Langdon, but if the opposition sends someone back to man up the spare then Langdon probably gets the chocolates there. With Scharenberg, we know he's a good intercept mark and kick, like Oxley, but I'm not assured of his defensive capacity one-on-one.

If we're prepared to give Maynard a taste as the carryover emergency I think we should be prepared to play Scharenberg who is in much better form.

I also believe you can only take the kid gloves approach for so long and a game leading into the bye could provide an easier introduction to senior footy than a potential matchup against Fremantle in Perth, Hawthorn or Port at Adelaide Oval.

Again I'm confident it won't happen, but I could think of worse match committee decisions over the past 18 months...

Last year he was a revelation but he was playing as an unknown quantity and solely in defense, more often than not as a loose man.

This year, teams will have done some work on countering him and he's also had to contend with changing roles (midfield, defensive sweeper, forward, accountable defender). I walked away from yesterdays game thinking that his form was down but on reflection is that more that he set such high standards last year and he's not quite reaching the same level this year, or that a lot of his work is going unnoticed, or is his form down?

Either way, I don't think dropping him is the answer. Let him work his way through it. I've got faith that he can.

Matthew Scharenberg.

With 5 weeks of VFL footy under his belt and back to back 20+ possession games the difference between what Langdon is providing now and what Scharenberg will provide is minimal at best.

The relegation would do Langdon some good, IMO, and ditto the promotion for Scharanberg. Though I doubt it will happen.

Couldn't agree more. Sharon looked composed with the ball in hands on Saturday and has more awareness than Tom. He still does need a few more games in the 2s though. Tom's decision making is looking slower and is taking too long to to dispose of the ball resulting in getting run down. The passage of play after Watts dropped the ball resulting in Swanny kicking the goal is a perfect example. He has been great and exceeded everyone's expectations so what he has done so far had been fantastic. It would be good for his intensity and desire if he had a run in the VFL.

Couldn't agree more. Sharon looked composed with the ball in hands on Saturday and has more awareness than Tom. He still does need a few more games in the 2s though. Tom's decision making is looking slower and is taking too long to to dispose of the ball resulting in getting run down. The passage of play after Watts dropped the ball resulting in Swanny kicking the goal is a perfect example. He has been great and exceeded everyone's expectations so what he has done so far had been fantastic. It would be good for his intensity and desire if he had a run in the VFL.

How so?
I'm thinking it would be detrimental to the kid given the VFL is much, much slower than the AFL not to mention the fact the kid hasn't missed a beat in his 2nd season (that's right.... 2nd!!) and you're dropping him after having a 25 possession game. flipping brain scientists on this board I swear!!

They swing the axe quickly on BF I find wicksy.

A couple of glaring errors/turnovers and you're out, no matter what other good you do.

His numbers were good in the end and he was way better in the second half than the first. They are a little misleading though and i do think he is in a bit of a form slump but will come through it fine. I don't think he deserves to be dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How so?
I'm thinking it would be detrimental to the kid given the VFL is much, much slower than the AFL not to mention the fact the kid hasn't missed a beat in his 2nd season (that's right.... 2nd!!) and you're dropping him after having a 25 possession game. ruddy brain scientists on this board I swear!!

I am not doubting what he has done so far in his 2nd season. He seems a little slower with his decision making and executing the skill the last few weeks. From where I am watching it seems like he needs more intensity in his game. For a guy who hasn't played 2s it might be just the catalyst to raise that intensity. He won't get dropped though but I want more pressure coming through the 2s for spots.

It is true that he does sometimes take too long to dispose of the ball. He turns a situation where he is under no pressure into a situation where he is under pressure. But drop him? Hell no. He is still playing good footy.
I am sure the coaches will show him videos and tell him to increase his urgency a bit. He will be fine.
Every week a player gets put under the spotlight on this board and the following week that player makes everyone eat humble pie.
Last week everyone was saying it was time to drop the Ox.
We never learn.

I'm generally a massive advocate for our kids and the way they're developing. I believe we'll be a serious force in a few years if they keep coming on!

Young Tom in the last few weeks has worried me. When he burst onto the scene, his decision making, whilst not amazing wasn't that bad and his skills were sure. Now when I see the ball near him, I cringe in a way similar to what you may do when Cloke is 10m out in front kicking for goal.

I couldn't count how many times this season he's hand balled to someone who's under the pump causing a turn over, or kicked across goal to someone who has someone on them. Seems like he's missing the confidence and flair he has in his previous seasons.

I think it may be time for him to have a spell in the 2's. Is he playing injured? I'm just not sure. I do know one thing, I want the Tom of old back!
He was terrible in the first half but after that pretty good imo, doubt he gets dropped for next week

How so?
I'm thinking it would be detrimental to the kid given the VFL is much, much slower than the AFL not to mention the fact the kid hasn't missed a beat in his 2nd season (that's right.... 2nd!!) and you're dropping him after having a 25 possession game. ruddy brain scientists on this board I swear!!

I agree with the VFL being a much slower competition. Still think he needs a spell - looks like a deer in the headlights at times.

Didn't know having an opinion was seen as having a jab? Don't get me wrong - I believe he's going to be a solid player for us and I'm positive sides have put some work into him. But currently he's not a person I feel good about having the ball in his hands.

And before you start crying "25 posessions man!" - Didn't think Pendles was great despite getting 27 - again, just my opinion.

I agree with the VFL being a much slower competition. Still think he needs a spell - looks like a deer in the headlights at times.

Didn't know having an opinion was seen as having a jab? Don't get me wrong - I believe he's going to be a solid player for us and I'm positive sides have put some work into him. But currently he's not a person I feel good about having the ball in his hands.

And before you start crying "25 posessions man!" - Didn't think Pendles was great despite getting 27 - again, just my opinion.

the flip!?

Farcical comments really. 25 touches, 1 clanger. 88% disposal efficiency. The best in our team of anyone over 20 touches. Clearly people are on the wacky tobaccy. If he gets dropped this week I'll eat my proverbial hat. I guess we could bring Shazza in who is completely under done and not ready or Armstrong could be brought back on as a poor replacement in every regard. Or we could just surrender like the French...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Langdon is a young kid in his second year of football. The more senior games the better he will be!

Last year people called for him to be dropped after a couple of poor games, but he was able to work through it and finish the year well. Give him a chance! He hasn't even played 50 games yet and people are calling for his head...

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Tom Langdon - time for a spell son.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back