Recommitted Tom Mitchell [contracted and staying at Hawthorn]

If he were to be traded, what would Hawthorn get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not surprising he was on ~500k as a 18yr old we had to outbid GWS just for his signature.

This Before he even made his debut.
So blame the Giants not Tom?

He was worth more than 500k by the end of 16 not less.

You’d think so, but they probably look at us and see that as a warning sign. But if geelong get up this year, maybe more teams take the risk and push hard for a premiership. Cause once you’re out of contention it’s pretty hard to work your way back up

Yep spot on. We look at what Hawthorn did and worse still what they did with one of exactly the same players. And then hope somehow it turns out differently for us. Plus you could also throw in the recent cautionary tales of Bryce Gibbs and Dayne Beams which I suspect would have made a lot of clubs gun shy of offering a first rounder for a player as old as Tom Mitchell (which is what Hawthorn would want). Also even during our dynasty we didn't top up by trading out picks for established players, it seemed a pretty ironclad philosophy to stick to the draft. True we did it in 2016 but Nankervis, Prestia and Caddy were a hell of a lot younger than Mitchell.

Anyhow, it's hard to pick where we are now. Injuries, injury prone players and some visibly showing their age, it's really hard to get a handle as to our prospects in 2022 but it's as likely as not that our window has closed. That being the case I suspect if we trade out a first rounder it will be for a Cerra (not that I really want him) rather than a Mitchell. Even if he doesn't help us in clearances he'd be a bet each way, both for the now and present and for the long term future. Btw again it's not what I want, my strong preference is to go to the draft, but it's just what I think.

Cant see how Gibbs or Beams are at all relative to taking Tom on.

Tom's the most prolific ball winner in the league right now, it's not like you'd be getting someone that you hoped you could get back to good form.
He's already there, he just doesn't have much class around him any more so he bangs it on the boot so often.

I will be happy enough for us to keep him, and add a couple of classy young mids to his side.

As much of a flog as Dayne Beams is, he was traded at 28 years old coming off an 18 Brownlow vote season. He was also traded for pick 18 and a future first, which would be a pretty good return if Hawthorn want to move on Mitchell.

People trying to make a narrative fit their preconceived ideas.

Tom left the club for cash.... Hawthorn offered more, we couldn't/decided not to match. I don't blame any AFL player for trying to seize on their limited playing window to make a much money as possible.

However, don't be surprised when those players seek greener financial pastures, when the opportunity come.
We hardly blew you out of the water, it was around $150k more a year wasn’t it? Which in hindsight was a bargain. Also there’s not a team in the afl that could outbid us atm, so if he leaves I doubt it will be a monetary reason

We hardly blew you out of the water, it was around $150k more a year wasn’t it? Which in hindsight was a bargain. Also there’s not a team in the afl that could outbid us atm, so if he leaves I doubt it will be a monetary reason
Be what? A 20% pay rise.

Sounds like you blew them outta the water.

Be what? A 20% pay rise.

Sounds like you blew them outta the water.
$600k for a bloke who finished top 3 in the brownlow then won it. Sounds to me like sydney lowballed him because they were hamstrung by the amount of money they’d blown on Franklin, tippett and Reid.

$600k for a bloke who finished top 3 in the brownlow then won it. Sounds to me like sydney lowballed him because they were hamstrung by the amount of money they’d blown on Franklin, tippett and Reid.
You paid $600 or they offered that?

Why do people peddle this?

Mitchell played every game in 2016 (was one of the Swans best in the GF) and 19 games in 2015 after missing the first 4. He was well and truly best 22.

He left because Sydney had Kennedy (28), Hannebery (25) and Parker (24) and didn't want to prioritise him over those guys. Hawthorn had Sam Mitchell (34), Lewis (30), Hodge (32) and Brad Sewell had already retired. It was an ideal landing spot to be a #1/#2 mid and a pretty fair trade in terms of Hawthorn having a first round pick around his value. It was very similar to Josh Kennedy moving to Sydney in the first place, but he was less established at that time.

If Sydney had a crystal ball they would've got rid of Dan Hannebery and kept Mitchell but in 2016 no one would have suggested that because he was a 25 year B2B AA with no injury history. They also could've not gone after Kurt Tippett at the end of 2012 but Mitchell hadn't even debuted at that stage.

Tom left primarily for $$$.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much of a flog as Dayne Beams is, he was traded at 28 years old coming off an 18 Brownlow vote season. He was also traded for pick 18 and a future first, which would be a pretty good return if Hawthorn want to move on Mitchell.

Unsure why a bad trade is cited as evidence of a players value. Nobody will be giving a first and a future first for Mitchell.

Unsure why a bad trade is cited as evidence of a players value. Nobody will be giving a first and a future first for Mitchell.
This much is true, Sam might want to keep him anyway.

Last edited:
This is also true. If your weakness is the midfield, and you are already not doing well, a coach may think it better to keep the best midfielder in the team.
Yes, and I'm not sure the incoming coach rates the current midfield coach.

Our offer was reported to be between 600-650. Sydney’s offer was supposedly around the $450 mark. Fairly insulting offer after having a pretty good year and seeing what they were paying some of the other guys
33% higher. Sounds like it blew them outta the water

More than happy to keep him

However if a godfather offer came in and he was happy to for greener grass, happy for him to go.

But if that offer is anything less than a top 10 pick or equivalent then no

Reckon Hawthorn would take anything in the first round for him. Mainly because they’re a young rebuilding side.

Those first round picks are like ****ing gold when you’re rebuilding. Very hard to get hold of and very hard to pass up.

He’s 28 and hasn’t been the same since the injury, which is understandable, it was a massive one.

Pretty good deal I reckon… got him in, got a couple of great years (17 and 18 will be the best of his career), then if he left and they could get the same price they paid and flip it into a kid in the first round of the draft… pretty good outcome.

Reckon Hawthorn would take anything in the first round for him. Mainly because they’re a young rebuilding side.

Those first round picks are like ******* gold when you’re rebuilding. Very hard to get hold of and very hard to pass up.

He’s 28 and hasn’t been the same since the injury, which is understandable, it was a massive one.

Pretty good deal I reckon… got him in, got a couple of great years (17 and 18 will be the best of his career), then if he left and they could get the same price they paid and flip it into a kid in the first round of the draft… pretty good outcome.
Nah we ain't taking anything that isn't favouring us plenty, he's worth more keeping.

Has been one of the form midfielders in the comp post bye aswell, getting back to his form in 2018 and that's after a broken leg and a shoulder reco.

Hasn't had a full pre season since 2018.

2019 injured, 2020 he was a fight for R1 and 2021 he was a fight for R1 after his shoulder Reco.

2022 will be his first full pre season in years. He's gonna get back to it and as i said worth more keeping, teach the other mids, be the leader and we really aren't that far off with what we have atm + the picks coming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Tom Mitchell [contracted and staying at Hawthorn]

Back