Toast Tom Stewart - Gun Footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty close to Joel before and after the games personally think he’s been groomed for the role
Is he comfortable though? That’s the most important part from the outside looking in and why I sadly believe it’ll be Dangerfield

Blicavs or CGuthrie
Weren’t they good mates before joining Geelong? They’re the only case I’d ever make for co-captains. I think the concept of having two captains is quite weak personally.

Weren’t they good mates before joining Geelong? They’re the only case I’d ever make for co-captains. I think the concept of having two captains is quite weak personally.
I haven't suggested that, but the Guthries were responsible for Blicavs being head-hunted. Hence we have those 3 as premiership players.
I won't mind if Stewart wants the job, as he is a gun, but just not sure it's his thing emotionally.

I haven't suggested that, but the Guthries were responsible for Blicavs being head-hunted. Hence we have those 3 as premiership players.
I won't mind if Stewart wants the job, as he is a gun, but just not sure it's his thing emotionally.
What about Duncan

What about Duncan
NQR, imho. Key player, nearer the end than some others, just.
Interesting from my (biased) pov, that Cam Guthrie was the player greeting and meeting and photographed with our new recruit Jhye Clark.
Does that mean anything?
And Eddie Betts on one of those post match shows, Best On...., suggested Cam as next skipper after Selwood, well before finals.
All little signs, maybe, and I know it depends entirely on how you read those signs.
In any case, we are blessed with great leaders all over the ground.
Hawkins, Danger, Stewart, Blic, CG, Duncan, Cameron, Smith, Tuohy....

Last edited:
NQR, imho. Key player, nearer the end than some others, just.
I’ll be sad to see him retire. He’ll be the 4th one club Geelong player that I would’ve saw the entirety of his career after Taylor, Selwood and Hawkins. Life is passing me by Vdubs

I’ll be sad to see him retire. He’ll be the 4th one club Geelong player that I would’ve saw the entirety of his career after Taylor, Selwood and Hawkins. Life is passing me by Vdubs
It will be sad. I actually just added to that post, but many words not saying much.

What about Duncan

From one Aussie Country & Western music icon to a Geelong FC icon, I’m sure the Geelong FC team for 2023 would ‘love to have a beer with Duncan’ by hopefully celebrating his newly appointed captaincy..... because Duncan is their mate! 🍺🍻 👍

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re-toasting.

I've seen things here and there from Cats fans criticising Stewart or at least declaring his season has been mediocre in comparison to 2022. It doesn't add up to me.

Besides his one shocker vs Fremantle he's been excellent in a largely depleted and out of form defensive group. The Richmond game he had a few defensive gaffes but was still the best rebounding player of the evening. Almost our only good player in the Gold Coast and GWS losses. Strong in all of the wins.

Stats wise his numbers have taken a minor hit because of the Collingwood game in which he was injured first quarter. Take that game out and he's averaged 24.5 disposals (career high) and 7.5 rebound 50s (only bettered by his 2019 season). 8th in the league for intercept possessions. 2.4 clangers a game is also the third least he's averaged so he's been using the footy well and not infringing much.

I think we take what Stewart provides for granted. Without him we'd be stuffed (we coped well last season with everyone playing out of their skin, but this season it wouldn't fly).

Re-toasting.

I've seen things here and there from Cats fans criticising Stewart or at least declaring his season has been mediocre in comparison to 2022. It doesn't add up to me.

Besides his one shocker vs Fremantle he's been excellent in a largely depleted and out of form defensive group. The Richmond game he had a few defensive gaffes but was still the best rebounding player of the evening. Almost our only good player in the Gold Coast and GWS losses. Strong in all of the wins.

Stats wise his numbers have taken a minor hit because of the Collingwood game in which he was injured first quarter. Take that game out and he's averaged 24.5 disposals (career high) and 7.5 rebound 50s (only bettered by his 2019 season). 8th in the league for intercept possessions. 2.4 clangers a game is also the third least he's averaged so he's been using the footy well and not infringing much.

I think we take what Stewart provides for granted. Without him we'd be stuffed (we coped well last season with everyone playing out of their skin, but this season it wouldn't fly).
We underrate a lot of our guns. Throw Dangerfield in there too, pre-injury he was one of the best midfielders in the comp at 33 years of age, but reading some comments you'd be forgiven for thinking he was on the edge of selection.

Just another (joint) best on ground for Stewart on the weekend in a losing side in hostile territory.

Stewart vs the Brisbane Lions: and he got within 10 points too.

That's 9 times in the coaches votes after 16 completed games this season. That's almost twice as many times as the next best Geelong player.

He is a marvel and it still feels like in some circles, taken for granted.

Feel REALLY REALLY bad for thw next bloke that gets the 44 whenever it happens.

Boris, Stewy.....

4 Flags... about 36 AA... Carji x 4 or 5 and 57 Finals.

No pressure kid... but keep up the legacy lol

GO Catters

Hes done it again.

the fastest player to 5 all australians in world history!!!!

and yet barely a murmur.

most underrated player at geelong since steve johnson. Maybe even more then steve johnson.

jet.

possibly will go down as the greatest half back flanker that sported a full head of hair.
I'm one of the only ones on this board who rates him higher than Enright. I thought he hopeless in his first year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back