Tom Williams gone for 10 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

McDougall and Wight are not up to it so whos next?

That is the back up. It's not like you need 4 players to cover one mans injuries. If Glass gets injured its not like West Coast have 4 gun KPPs waiting in the WAFL to take his spot. They would have to risk a player they know is not up to it. Like we have to with Wight or McDougall.

Bassett normally plays on Johnson (and usually does a fair job, too) so they'll have to make up their mind about which way they go.

They might throw Bock forward but he's a 'get-on-your-bike' kind of forward rather than a 'push-and-shove' kind. Hargrave would get him.

If Bock does go forward, who would they play on Murphy? Stevens? You'd fancy Murphy's chances of out-running him. Massie? Will he even get a game? Symes?

They could throw Stevens forward, I suppose, but he's never really been very successful there (not that that usually matters against us).

If Lake is OK we'll be alright. If Lake misses we could be in real trouble.

Having a look at the results from rd 2 last year when Lake missed Adelaide kicked 16 goals made up of:

Bock 4
Welsh 4
Stevens 3
Perrie 2

They played with only 4 or 5 forwards, they seperated our defenders and forced our players to go 1 on 1 against taller and stronger opponents and we got found out. I think they will do the same again.

Do we counter by playing extra numbers back or do we just hope our defenders have a good day?

1 out of maybe 6. What about the name calling? Taking that back?

Hahaha which one moron or pea ant??

You think i cant see what you are so sadly trying to do? Mate you are not baiting me now and ALL YOU ARE DOING IS FOLLOWING ME so if they kick me off thats life.

I ONLY DEFENDED MYSELF AFTER SCOOPER ATTACKED ME AND THAT IS ALL I HAVE DONE SINCE SO if they wish to red card me they must red card him also.

Now like a have now said 10 times please go away.

Bassett normally plays on Johnson (and usually does a fair job, too) so they'll have to make up their mind about which way they go.

They might throw Bock forward but he's a 'get-on-your-bike' kind of forward rather than a 'push-and-shove' kind. Hargrave would get him.

If Bock does go forward, who would they play on Murphy? Stevens? You'd fancy Murphy's chances of out-running him. Massie? Will he even get a game? Symes?

They could throw Stevens forward, I suppose, but he's never really been very successful there (not that that usually matters against us).

If Lake is OK we'll be alright. If Lake misses we could be in real trouble.

I agree, if Brian misses we are in trouble, we can cope with Morris getting the 2nd tall and Doogs taking probably Tippett or Bock, but if Morris has to be the No 1 defender and we're left with Shaggy playing above his height & weight yet again, then we can be exploited. As you've pointed out though, the Crows have some matchup issues of their own. They at least need to pay Minson the respect of putting someone who can go with him strength wise, and they know what Welsh can do, plus matchups for Johnno and Murph.

That is the back up. It's not like you need 4 players to cover one mans injuries. If Glass gets injured its not like West Coast have 4 gun KPPs waiting in the WAFL to take his spot. They would have to risk a player they know is not up to it. Like we have to with Wight or McDougall.

No but they would have at least one.

We have none because lets be honest, Doogs and Wight are not up to it are they?

I mean give them a chance and pray they finally show something but the fact that we lose Williams and Everitt(both rookies) and our backline falls apart(maybe) says alot about our list at the moment dont you think.

I mean give them a chance and pray they finally show something but the fact that we lose Williams and Everitt(both rookies) and our backline falls apart(maybe) says alot about our list at the moment dont you think.

I thought Wight showed promise as a tall backman in 06. He had a poor season last year and has to work on his handling and disposal, but he can certainly play a negating role. He will most likely miss the first couple of rounds anyway due to his hammy, but he should by no means be written off completely. Sure at the moment he is a depth player, but with Williams out for 4-6 minimum he will most likely get a shot at CHB when he's fit.
Doogs I agree is a depth player at best and can't take a Lucas type, but can still play on a 3rd tall type if needed. We certainly are less liable to be exploited this year by teams just throwing talls forward as they have done in the past. Teams don't usually have more than one or two really good tall forwards, so someone like Doogs will be playing on someone of around their own ability generally.
Of course if Lake gets a serious injury then we're truly screwed.

No i don't think. I think we have satisfactory back up. We can handle this situation better then a lot of teams because we have O.K players waiting in the wings. Everitt and Williams haven't even played 25 games between them.

I thought Wight showed promise as a tall backman in 06. He had a poor season last year and has to work on his handling and disposal, but he can certainly play a negating role. He will most likely miss the first couple of rounds anyway due to his hammy, but he should by no means be written off completely. Sure at the moment he is a depth player, but with Williams out for 4-6 minimum he will most likely get a shot at CHB when he's fit.
Doogs I agree is a depth player at best and can't take a Lucas type, but can still play on a 3rd tall type if needed. We certainly are less liable to be exploited this year by teams just throwing talls forward as they have done in the past. Teams don't usually have more than one or two really good tall forwards, so someone like Doogs will be playing on someone of around their own ability generally.

We need a player that has the ability to play on guys like Lucas that is our biggest flaw IMO.

We have no one that can play on a tall mobile forward and at years end it should be our main concern.

Morris is the perfect player to play on the likes of Lucas. In fact he's so perfect i can't think of a better player in the AFL to play on the likes of Lucas.

Ok then why everytime we play essendon does Lucas kill us?

Hey i like Morris alot so why dont they give him a go on him?

One of my close mates has played on Wight pretty recently when he played up forward and said that he was surpised at how big an 'engine' he had. Said he could really run and keep going all day, but just couldn't compete strength wise.

Given that information - perhaps we should be looking at playing him of the forwards that run around alot - the Bobby Murphy equivalents.

Just a thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of my close mates has played on Wight pretty recently when he played up forward and said that he was surpised at how big an 'engine' he had. Said he could really run and keep going all day, but just couldn't compete strength wise.

Given that information - perhaps we should be looking at playing him of the forwards that run around alot - the Bobby Murphy equivalents.

Just a thought.

Everyone at the club says Wight has a big engine but he is very slow to get up to speed and therefore gets hurt on the lead.

Is it just me or does he seem to get "lost" sometimes? Running the wrong way and totally mis reading the flight of the ball.

Ok then why everytime we play essendon does Lucas kill us?

Because he's a good player. So what he kicked 4 goals against us last time and we won the match. He has dominated other teams as well. Eade has already said he wouldn't have played McDougall on Lucas in a real match he was just seeing if Doogs could respond.

I suppose Morris is better then anyone at these clubs,
West Coast: 8 goals
Collingwood: 4 goals
Melbourne: 5 goals
Kangaroos: 5 goals
Fremantle: 5 goals
Adelaide: 7 goals
Geelong: 3 goals

Just a thought.

When he came to us he was a stick and I think it's taken him a while to build up some muscle. He certainly looks a lot bigger in the last year or so. Hopefully he continues to do that and can compete better in that area. His running and spoiling ability are good so there's tools there to work with. I think he is ideal (once he gets a bit stronger) for the lead up centre half forwards and that's what he was doing back in 06. As I said he still has deficiencies but I'm not writing him off yet.

Well said.

We would be doing well if we had Lake and Williams injured and could replace them with Glass and Scarlett.

Wight and Doogs are certainly not the best options, but its not like other teams have better replacements waiting in the wings. Besides, I think Doogs and Wight could do a respectable job for us if needed.

Plus doesnt Morris usually play on Lloyd?

We need a player that has the ability to play on guys like Lucas that is our biggest flaw IMO.

We have no one that can play on a tall mobile forward and at years end it should be our main concern.

I remember Morris towelling up Lucas on at least one occasion. He is one versatile player.

I think our main concern should be to ease the pressure on our defence by not allowing the ball in there a easy as we have done in the past.

Not at all. I haven't posted in full caps yet nor have added an extra exclamation or question mark for no reason or resorted to bagging someones grammar/spelling when I'm just as bad.
Most importantly when I have been proven wrong and I've admitted it.

Post in numbers Ernie that will stump him.

Everyone,
please leave me alone. I said 10 weeks and the club has finally come clean and said 4-6 weeks after I gave the scoop. Now we all know that 4-6 weeks with rehab actually means around 8 weeks. Throw in some slow running first and then a few games at Willy then its 10 weeks - no doubt about that. The Europe thing will definitely happen in 4 weeks if he is not responding to treatment and the comments I heard at training suggest that this is more likely than not. No need for for the doubters to apologise for doubting my information; although dare I say, some probably should.
The Good Thing

Well I suppose you got 1 out of 3 things right with your prediction so well done.

Hahaha which one moron or pea ant??

You think i cant see what you are so sadly trying to do? Mate you are not baiting me now and ALL YOU ARE DOING IS FOLLOWING ME so if they kick me off thats life.

I ONLY DEFENDED MYSELF AFTER SCOOPER ATTACKED ME AND THAT IS ALL I HAVE DONE SINCE SO if they wish to red card me they must red card him also.

Now like a have now said 10 times please go away.
I don't need to bait you, you post rubbish anyway.
Scooter said you were wrong where you used a BS stat to prove a stupid point. After some name calling on your part, you finally agreed you were wrong. Who attacked who?

You keep going as you are going and you won't need to worry about me.
Yellow card already, red on the way.

I think our main concern should be to ease the pressure on our defence by not allowing the ball in there a easy as we have done in the past.
Bingo. That (and not individual defender performances) was our biggest problem last year, has been our biggest problem against Adelaide (and tough ball sides like the Swans) and will be the major concern for round 1.

I'm confident in our defenders against the Crows sans Everitt & Williams - A Sydney forward line would be a nightmare by comparison.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Williams gone for 10 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back