Tonight's crowd at the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw it as 90% Sri Lankan. Great atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% an Australian fan but us Sri Lankans know how to party haha.

:thumbsu:Damn straight we do.

I think the problem is that any side series that is played over the same summer as the Ashes is generally considered fairly irrelevant by both media and supporters in this country. The selectors have probably just viewed this series as purely a warm up for the Ashes. They probably thought smashing the Sri Lankans in some ODI's would be great as a warm up and to build some confidence prior to the Ashes.

There has been virtually no publicity about this series. Sri Lankan supporters will turn up in droves to see their side play anyway and with Melbourne having the highest number of Sri Lankans in 1 city in the world outside of Sri Lanka there were always going to be piles of Lankans there. But the average Aussie cricket supporter only really cares about the Ashes this summer. Not to mention playing it the day after the Melbourne Cup, in Melbourne is just ridiculous scheduling. Should have started the series Friday night at the G and it would have been much better.

a) It's the day after melbourne cup
b) Average weather
c) Ashes/a long summer of cricket is coming soon, so people dont feel the desire to jump on just yet
d) Most students who are old enough to go the cricket without their parents are in the middle of exams
e) Everyone else has to work/be at school

come up with any excuses you want, australia got owned on the field and in the stands...............in australia's sporting capital nonetheless. sydney is going to be a disaster.

has there ever been such a circumstance in any sport where fans for the home country have been comprehensively out-supported by fans from the away country? such a situation should never happen, particularly of the scale as last night.

It really sounded as if it was being played in Colombo last night. was strange to see the support so one sided

Yeah bar the pitch it was effectively a Sri Lankan home game. Even that wasn't too bouncy yesterday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tonight's crowd at the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back