Too many "white guys" talking about footy on TV?

Remove this Banner Ad

So it's diversity at the cost of qualifications? No chance as the networks will go with ratings and stick with what they know.

On the flip side, I would love to see a female commentator if she had the ability to engage the audience with the right experience, in depth knowledge
and the right personality.

Equality in gender with regards to any type of work should be by the right candidate and NOT because it should be for the "community".

Enough of this PC crap already I say. True feminists would not accept a "token" position based on community "expectations".
I am a firm believer of equality and the woman can do any job a man can and should have the same pay and benefits. The only line i draw is calling a game of Footy. Sure boundary riding, special comments and hosting pre and post game shows is fine but the calling of the game just doesn't sound right and I don't believe that any womans voice could pull it off. I will eat my words if proven wrong though.

Don't get me wrong, I like hearing from former players and coaches. It just feels like some them only got the job because of who they are and who they know rather than their ability to add insight.

I am a firm believer of equality and the woman can do any job a man can and should have the same pay and benefits. The only line i draw is calling a game of Footy. Sure boundary riding, special comments and hosting pre and post game shows is fine but the calling of the game just doesn't sound right and I don't believe that any womans voice could pull it off. I will eat my words if proven wrong though.

For what it's worth, I think Kelli Underwood is fine as a radio commentator. I didn't like her on TV as she didn't quite have the ability to add excitement to the game when required and when she tried, it just sounded forced (see: Bartel's point after the siren against the Hawks a few years ago, Lewis Jetta's first AFL goal), but she is a decent play-by-play caller. I don't see any reason why women can't call the game if they are good enough.

Are you suggesting that the current crop of commentators and special comments people have been hired through a carefully selected process?
It's hilarious how the "anti PC" crowd can't see the hypocrisy.

I've got no issues with a commentator being white, black, blue, pink or orange. I've got no problem if they are gay, straight, catholic, muslim, atheist, male or female.
I do want them to be the best people for the job though. So whatever needs to happen to make that happen should happen. There is no such thing as a need for diversity. **** that. Give me the best people for the job regardless of any need to diversify it. If that means 20 white males so be it. If it means 20 asian females so be it. I don't care I just want a good end product.

In terms of callers, many of these types have risen from covering sports on community radio. They've done hard yards. How many females have done this? I don't recall any in Perth but I've plenty of years listening to Adam Papalia, Ben Cameron and Corbin Middlemass - these are guys still quite early in their career.

Then you move onto special comments who are all specifically AFL players or ex-players - no real opportunities there, and it's not based on gender.

Finally you have media commentators, which is where we see the likes of Caroline Wilson, Sam Lane, and Rebecca Maddern. These types have come from a journalism background. They not only battle the above categories for these spots (as well as comedians), but also the media creep of contractually having a personality across multiple shows (who already fulfills one of the above, core competencies).

No doubt it's tough to break into and there's poor representation of females, but when you examine it a bit more closely, it's pretty reasonable and understandable to arrive at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For what it's worth, I think Kelli Underwood is fine as a radio commentator. I didn't like her on TV as she didn't quite have the ability to add excitement to the game when required and when she tried, it just sounded forced (see: Bartel's point after the siren against the Hawks a few years ago, Lewis Jetta's first AFL goal), but she is a decent play-by-play caller. I don't see any reason why women can't call the game if they are good enough.

Really? Just watched it and I have no problem with her commentary for the goal. Each to their own though I suppose. Inherently subjective.

Agree to disagree on that. She was the one who brought it to my attention that woman are no good IMO. When the play is getting exciting and they try to ramp the game up and get excited with it the voice just isn't right. There a Netball add on one of the fox sports channel where she gets excited by a play. It just doesn't work for me whether it's AFL or Netball tbh.

All I know for sure is that the Marngrook footy show beats the pants off the ch 9 Footy Show and that is even with that illiterate muppet Dipper on it. It's got black panalists and even a black woman. Is that why it's better? I am sure it is part of the reason but it's just fresher and more relaxed.

Having herd the author of the article on SEN this afternoon when I was in the car I think she wants more women on the TV and involved in the coverage than anything else. It's a fair point of view but the reality is at this stage not that many women operate in the industry.

Mods, move to Footy Fourth Estate?

It is a boys' club, but the problem is not that there are not enough women, but there are too many duds.

On the Swans board we have been having a discussion about who are the worst football journos/commentators at the moment and one of our posters came up with this list:

1 Eddie McGuire
2 Jason Dunstall
3 Dwayne Russell
4 Mark Robinson
5 Damien Barrett
6 David King
7 Jon Ralph
8 Dermott Brereton
9 Sam Landsberger
10 Rebecca Wilson
11 Callum Twomey
12 Bruce McAvaney
13 Kevin Bartlett
14 Brian Taylor
15 Luke Darcy
16 Leigh Matthews

Of course, this is entirely subjective, and it's written from a Swans perspective, but let's be honest there is not a lot of quality there. Where are the next Huddos and Whateleys in the footy media? I agree that forcing diversity for the sake of it is ridiculous, but let's start with getting the most qualified people for the job first. I dare say that if you do that, you will probably start to see a few more women in the media anyway.
Barrett & King are easily 1-2

Again, no problem. Out of curiosity, why don't you like her commentary here?

[Not trying to be rude or anything, generally interested]

It's not bad, but too monotone for mine. I certainly wouldn't hold it up as an example of why women shouldn't be commentators. Given Channel 10 once had Peter Daicos calling matches, it would not be hard to find a female commentator who could do a better job, but that's just my opinion :p

Mods, move to Footy Fourth Estate?

It is a boys' club, but the problem is not that there are not enough women, but there are too many duds.

On the Swans board we have been having a discussion about who are the worst football journos/commentators at the moment and one of our posters came up with this list:

1 Eddie McGuire
2 Jason Dunstall
3 Dwayne Russell
4 Mark Robinson
5 Damien Barrett
6 David King
7 Jon Ralph
8 Dermott Brereton
9 Sam Landsberger
10 Rebecca Wilson
11 Callum Twomey
12 Bruce McAvaney
13 Kevin Bartlett
14 Brian Taylor
15 Luke Darcy
16 Leigh Matthews

Of course, this is entirely subjective, and it's written from a Swans perspective, but let's be honest there is not a lot of quality there. Where are the next Huddos and Whateleys in the footy media? I agree that forcing diversity for the sake of it is ridiculous, but let's start with getting the most qualified people for the job first. I dare say that if you do that, you will probably start to see a few more women in the media anyway.

dunstall and brereton both got the job by reputation but you can't deny they know what they're talking about. dunstall is quite articulate for a key forward and i think if you don't fall asleep through breretons monologues you'll find he's usually right on the money with his comments as well.

It's not bad, but too monotone for mine. I certainly wouldn't hold it up as an example of why women shouldn't be commentators. Given Channel 10 once had Peter Daicos calling matches, it would not be hard to find a female commentator who could do a better job, but that's just my opinion :p

Yeah fair enough. Thanks for the reply. As you said, the standard is fairly low with some commentators we have now/have had. Maybe I've just subconsciously lowered my expectations but I always thought she was alright.

Remove this Banner Ad

Too many "white guys" talking about footy on TV?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back