Toovey was an embarassment

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
His errors came from nerves which shouldnt be in his game.
Your opinon that his game constitutes embarrassment is quite rightly among the minority.

As for Anthony he looked completely lost but nobody is calling him an embarrassment as they shouldn't, like Toovey he is a kid and will learn.

I seriously doubt Malthouse is pulling any of the kids aside and telling them they are an embarrassment, so I think I'll stick with Mick on this one.

Your opinon that his game constitutes embarrassment is quite rightly among the minority.

As for Anthony he looked completely lost but nobody is calling him an embarrassment as they shouldn't, like Toovey he is a kid and will learn.

I seriously doubt Malthouse is pulling any of the kids aside and telling them they are an embarrassment, so I think I'll stick with Mick on this one.

I will pull them aside and say .......
Done well., but not good enough Toov.

This poor kid cops so much unwarranted criticism on this board.

Because most of our young players step up so well straight away, we have no patience for the players who have to feel their way a bit. Thank god we have a coach who has a bit of patience and understanding for some players. How many of you would have delisted Leon Davis in 2002? Look at him now. Most of you called for Medhurst's head last year as well.

Toovey was not an embarassment today. In fact from where I sat, he seemed to have improved since last year, and that is all we can ask for.

For what it's worth, I would pick Goldsack ahead of Toovey next week as well. But Toovey showed some endeavour today, and all he gets met with here is condemnation.
Looks like one of the few people on BF who know anything about footy and have probably played a bit. Toovey showed a lot of dash and promise, and I think his development is going very well so far. I don't know how much he'll improve and what sort of level he'll reach or even if he'll make it in the AFL - obviuolsy a lot is up to him. but I predict he'll become a good tagging mid with dangerous rebound, that will be hard to leave out of the team. Johnno, Leon and Rhyce took a lot longer than this to come good. To say he'll never be any good is just plain ignorant IMO based on what we've seen so far, but I'm used to this sort of stupidity having seen it on these boards for years.
Having said that, this year might be his last chance to make it at CFC. IT would be great for his development to play again vs Carlton so hopefully that happens - if so he'll need to show noticeable improvement you'd reckon. Would be worth it for the purpose of list development and give Goldsack's nose another week's respite.

I wouldn't say Toovey "will never be any good", but AFL clubs are only allowed 38 players on their senior list, and we are duty bound to retain players who not only have some chance of being "any good", but have a very strong chance of being excellent.

It's Darwinism as applied to football list management.

Looks like one of the few people on BF who know anything about footy and have probably played a bit. Toovey showed a lot of dash and promise, and I think his development is going very well so far. I don't know how much he'll improve and what sort of level he'll reach or even if he'll make it in the AFL - obviuolsy a lot is up to him. but I predict he'll become a good tagging mid with dangerous rebound, that will be hard to leave out of the team. Johnno, Leon and Rhyce took a lot longer than this to come good. To say he'll never be any good is just plain ignorant IMO based on what we've seen so far, but I'm used to this sort of stupidity having seen it on these boards for years.
Having said that, this year might be his last chance to make it at CFC. IT would be great for his development to play again vs Carlton so hopefully that happens - if so he'll need to show noticeable improvement you'd reckon. Would be worth it for the purpose of list development and give Goldsack's nose another week's respite.

I will tell you now
Toovey is Jason Wild in Bill Valli pygamas.

Anthony looked completely lost? He looked completely lost running through half forward, taking a mark on the run and kicking a goal (after losing whoever was supposed to be marking him) from 50 meters with his first kick in senior footy:confused:. 100% effective use of the footy in his first game and 2 goals from his first 2 kicks, give me lost anyday.

Anthony looked completely lost? He looked completely lost running through half forward, taking a mark on the run and kicking a goal (after losing whoever was supposed to be marking him) from 50 meters with his first kick in senior footy:confused:. 100% effective use of the footy in his first game and 2 goals from his first 2 kicks, give me lost anyday.

Toovey was given a far more difficult task in having to shut a player down a provide run from the back. Anthony was eased in down forward and had no pressure on him, I think Anthony will be a player but listening to you glorify his 4 possessions while bagging Toovey is just plain hilarious.

Toovey was given a far more difficult task in having to shut a player down a provide run from the back. Anthony was eased in down forward and had no pressure on him, I think Anthony will be a player but listening to you glorify his 4 possessions while bagging Toovey is just plain hilarious.
Your decision to bag Anthony (describing him as lost?) as a way of defending Toovey was a debateable tactic, when this thread is quite plainly about one players place in the team. Unfortunately Toovey was a rabbit in the spotlight at times and no amount of 1st gamer bagging will change that.

The thread is about Toovey.

Start one about Anthony... and take your arguements over there. That would be Fabulous!

Toovs played like crap, fair dinkum be realistic. From 9 kicks 3 were clangers, each of them breaking down our momentum on the quick release from half back and a better team would have punished us for it. Hes a liability out there and for me that was his last game in black and white.

As someone said earlier he was lucky the ump was momentarily blind-sided and didn't notice him pulling someone by the jumper off the ball inside our fifty. It was a free every day of the week and he got lucky.

JA seemed to have more of a densive forward role. MM must have told him that once the ball goes inside 50 he needs to keep it there, and he seemed to do that okay.

Your decision to bag Anthony (describing him as lost?) as a way of defending Toovey was a debateable tactic, when this thread is quite plainly about one players place in the team. Unfortunately Toovey was a rabbit in the spotlight at times and no amount of 1st gamer bagging will change that.
I would hardly call it bagging him, certainly not by your own lofty standards of starting threads and calling a player an embarrassment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure its not gunna be Tooveys last game. So u better get use to him being around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:)
Happy to see anyone inthe team who is playing well. If Toovey comes back against Carlton and plays well under pressure with good skills, fine.

The thread is about Toovey.

Start one about Anthony... and take your arguements over there. That would be Fabulous!

So whenever we want to briefly mention another player we have to start an entirely new thread?

Sounds like the many worlds theory of quantum mechanics :p

The real embarrassment is that a few people who insist on venting their negative views have made this the biggest thread for the week.

The players you are demeaning are unexperienced kids.
If it was easy to be an AFL standard player everyone would do it.....

Any of the knockers claim to be of the same standard they require of their targets?

Not bloody likely.

Any of the knockers claim to be of the same standard they require of their targets?

Not bloody likely.
While I understand and appreciate your sentiment, your reasoning is poor.

Society's expectations of individuals in a given profession are not based on whether society could perform the role to the same standard if required.

If Alan Didak's surgeon botched his ACL reconstruction, would Alan shrug his shoulders and say "meh, I couldn't have performed the surgery to a higher standard"? Would we?

If a scientist in charge of a nuclear reactor allowed it to overheat and meltdown, sending a toxic cloud throughout the surrounding area and killing tens of thousands, would we say "meh, I don't know anything about nuclear fission, so I can't blame the guy as I couldn't have done better"?

Footballers have highly specialized skills, and as such are well-paid and thus subject to high levels of scrutiny. It is logical that players employed by clubs, which rely on members, supporters and sponsors for their turnover, should have to be accountable for their performance.

While I understand and appreciate your sentiment, your reasoning is poor.

Society's expectations of individuals in a given profession are not based on whether society could perform the role to the same standard if required.

If Alan Didak's surgeon botched his ACL reconstruction, would Alan shrug his shoulders and say "meh, I couldn't have performed the surgery to a higher standard"? Would we?

If a scientist in charge of a nuclear reactor allowed it to overheat and meltdown, sending a toxic cloud throughout the surrounding area and killing tens of thousands, would we say "meh, I don't know anything about nuclear fission, so I can't blame the guy as I couldn't have done better"?

Footballers have highly specialized skills, and as such are well-paid and thus subject to high levels of scrutiny. It is logical that players employed by clubs, which rely on members, supporters and sponsors for their turnover, should have to be accountable for their performance.

Yes you are right.
AFL footballers are a uniquely talented group of elite athletes.
The analogies you have used are very relevant.

It takes 8-10 years to train a surgeon and costs the taxpayer several million dollars.

It takes slightly less time to train a nuclear physicist but they must have considerable experience once qualified to run a nuclear power plant.

Both of these professionals, during their training, will make numerous errors and only through the patient guidance of their teachers and with experience gained through the practical application of the theory they must soak up will they every graduate.
Many will fail to make the grade.
But all have to go through the process.

Very, very few of the above professional will ever be under the scrutiny that an AFL footballer is, especially an Collingwood AFL footballer.
The point I wanted to make was it is a bit much for any of us to shit-can any player as long as that player is doing his best. It may not be as good as we would like but that's life.

Mate I would love it every player that ever pulled on the Black and White was as good as Buckley....but I remember when blokes like Jason Wilde and Adkins were our "big hope"....Toovey is not going too bad.

That was interesting, BT just said on League teams (Foxtel) that Toovey played well and the panel agreed with him.

They still think Goldsack should get the nod based on his record of course, but evidently Toovey had a good game according to some ex champions and a premiership coach. :eek:

The real embarrassment is that a few people who insist on venting their negative views have made this the biggest thread for the week.

The players you are demeaning are unexperienced kids.

Not bloody likely.
They can retire whenever they like, just ask Nathan Ablett. It is probably the biggest thread of the week because it deals with the future of Collingwood which people actually are passionate about. BTW, all Toovey needs is Caro from Footy Confidential to give him her kiss of approval and he will be the next Brownlow Medalist, lets not rely on the footy media for tips on our players.

That was interesting, BT just said on League teams (Foxtel) that Toovey played well and the panel agreed with him.

They still think Goldsack should get the nod based on his record of course, but evidently Toovey had a good game according to some ex champions and a premiership coach. :eek:
Thats why they are on TV and not coaching anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back