Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett

He has over taken Cross has the handball king, hopefully we will get to see him cry twice this year, once at the Brownlow and once on GF day when the Cats get their pants pulled down again, Such a great record over the last 3 year how funny it would be if they come away with only 1 flag in that time:eek:

Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett

He has over taken Cross has the handball king, hopefully we will get to see him cry twice this year, once at the Brownlow and once on GF day when the Cats get their pants pulled down again, Such a great record over the last 3 year how funny it would be if they come away with only 1 flag in that time:eek:

You did leave out one player though - Ablett

Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett

I can recognise:

Gary Ablett Snr
Gary Ablett Jnr
Geoff Ablett
Kevin Ablett
Luke Ablett
Nathan Ablett
Len Ablett (Richmond player from the '40s)

Who have I missed? :p

jonathon robran - how did he make a state team?

He didn't, did he? I thought it was his brother Matthew was the more decorated.

On that note, I always thought Matthew Robran was a bit overrated myself.

Top 10 Overrated
1 - Jonathan Brown
2 - Lindsay Gilbee
3 - Brendan Fevola
4 - Daniel Kerr
5 - Stuart Dew
6 - Nathan Jones
7 - Danyle Pearce
8 - Ryan Griffen
9 - Alwyn Davey
10 - Trent Cotchin

Top 10 Underrated
1 - Jude Bolton
2 - Simon Prestigiacomo
3 - Matthew Boyd
4 - Roger Hayden
5 - Andrew Swallow
6 - Harry O'Brien
7 - Adam Selwood
8 - Brent Moloney
9 - Dean Polo
10 - Martin Mattner
Dew pretty much won us the flag in 2008 in about 10 minutes what more can you ask for.

Lenny Hayes is so underratted his an absolute GUN.

Personally I think Ablett is a tad overrated not taking away that he is a fantastic player, but the way they talk about him should be when he end's his career comparing him to his dad and the like.

Who ever said Joel Selwood is overrated should be banned from Bigfooty because they have no football sense.

Overrated:
Dale Thomas
Tom Hawkins
Gary Ablett (awesome player but not as awesome as he is made out to be)
Stephen Milne

Underrated:
Jarryd Roughead
Daniel Bradshaw
Adam Schneider

Too hard to compile a whole top 10, but here's a few that come to mind.

Underrated:
Lenny Hayes
Clinton Jones
Matthew Boyd
Bernie Vince

The problem with the last two is that I'm a bit hazy on how they were before this year. I didn't follow other teams much until this year, so maybe they've just burst out on to the scene this year.

Overrated:
Dane Swan - He's good, I'm not sure he's as good as his disposal numbers make him out to be.

Dew pretty much won us the flag in 2008 in about 10 minutes what more can you ask for.

What you said is true, but throughout his career, I've never really seen him provide much more than good long kicking. Even back in his Port days, he was criticised on-and-off in the local media (depending on whether Port won or lost it seemed) for being an overweight, unfit one-trick pony, and I agreed wholeheartedly whenever it was mentioned. A credit to him that he could forge a comeback with the Hawks at the weight and fitness level that he was/is at, but IMO he could have been a much more damaging player over the course of his career if he'd commited 150% to fitness and becoming a complete player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What you said is true, but throughout his career, I've never really seen him provide much more than good long kicking. Even back in his Port days, he was criticised on-and-off in the local media (depending on whether Port won or lost it seemed) for being an overweight, unfit one-trick pony, and I agreed wholeheartedly whenever it was mentioned. A credit to him that he could forge a comeback with the Hawks at the weight and fitness level that he was/is at, but IMO he could have been a much more damaging player over the course of his career if he'd commited 150% to fitness and becoming a complete player.

Yep.

His 2001/2002 was a glimpse of what he could've been had he seriously got his shit together.

People forget that even in 2004 he was perilously close to being dropped at one stage but won an 11th hour reprieve due to a late withdrawal, had a good game and stayed in by the skin of his teeth for the rest of the year.

Has to be current day players. Can be under/over rated for any reason. Public opinion, you can't understand why he gets picked in the side each week, looking back on a players career and how he's compared to the greats of the game etc.

Top 10 Overrated players:
1. Joel Bowden - The uncontested cheap disposal king.
2. Dale Thomas - The cult hero who is too inconsistent.
3. Jordan Russell - I don't know what Ratten sees in him.
4. Dane Swan - Waddles around the ground kicking mongrels. Works hard but lacks class.
5. Russel Robertson - Doesn't look like a footballer and has never impressed me apart from his aerial antics.
6. Mark Williams - Carried by superior teammates, no longer does enough.
7. Daniel Wells - Move to HB might be good, but so far in his career he hasn't done much.
8. Luke Ablett - A famous last name can only get you so far. Never seen him as a good player.
9. Matthew Priddis - During the match you'll barely notice him and then look at the stat sheet to see he got 30+ touches.
10. Jonathan Brown - Good player, but overrated in terms of his standing in the game. Media hype has oversold him.

Top 10 Underrated Players:
1. Tyson Edwards - I think he's been a star for ages doesnt seem to get enough recognition
2. Daniel Bradshaw - Playing with Lynch and now Brown he has never seen the spotlight but he is a powerhouse.
3. Matthew Boyd - In all the AA team threads I don't see his name enough, seriously good this year.
4. Simon Prestigiacomo - Nearly the best 1-on-1 defender in the game.
5. Roger Hayden - When fit he is one of the best small defenders in the game.
6. Bernie Vince - Adelaide are building a good solid young midfield with Vince a key cog.
7. Steven Salopek - A very good player this season before he had injury troubles.
8. Tarkyn Lockyer - Seems to get forgotten in all the Davis, Didak and Thomas euphoria.
9. Warren Tredrea - Seems to get forgotten in debates for the best players of the past decade.
10. Daniel Jackson - With Deledio, Foley, Tuck and Tambling the bigger name draftees, Jackson has stood out this year.
Swan is not that overated nor is Brown on thier day these two can win the game of thier own back, whether it be getting a heap of possesions or kicking a bag . enough said.

Overrated:
1. Cam Mooney. A main forward that cant kick straight?
2. Alwyn Davey. As much as I hate to say it, should get more possessions and more goals. F50 pressure is good though.
3. Dale Thomas. Need I say more?
4. Karmichael Hunt. Just getting in early.
5. Justin Kozhitschze. Doesn't do enough
6. Matthew Scarlett. Only because I thought that Lake had a better year, and still didn't get the full back role.
7. Priddis. Heaps of possessions, no impact.
8: Brett Stanton. Touted as Essendon's best midfielder, only because we didn't have anyone good (Until Jobe came good).
9: Ricky Dyson. Love him, but doesn't do enough.
10: Adam Goodes: Dual Brownlow medalist...really? A flashy player in a boring team (not saying sydney doesn't have good players)

Underrated:
1. Matthew Lloyd. I want him to retire, and he is well past his prime, but still has the ability to lead and turn games (E.g. Rd 22 Vs Hawthorn)
2. Daniel Cross. Is the handball king, but a vital linking player.
3. Tarkyn Lockyer. Gets overshadowed by Davis and Thomas for flashyness, and Swan and Didak for posessions.
4. Shane O'Bree. Same reasons as above.
5. Dustin Fletcher. Been dominant in the backline for 15years, and recently keeps getting looked over for AA team.
6. Simon Black. Everyone recognizes that he is a star player, but everybody forgets him at Brownlow time. 2nd and 4th in the last 2 years, not bad
7. Daniel Brawshaw. Overshadowed by Lynch, Voss, amongst others.
8. LeCras. Prob cos' from a WA team, and doesn't get seen much in Victoria.
9: Quentin Lynch. Big lumbering bloke, but gets his job done every week.
10: Daniel Kerr. People forget how good he really is. Unlucky with injuries, and nobody to relieve his tag.

Overrated:
4. Karmichael Hunt. Just getting in early.
5. Justin Kozhitschze. Doesn't do enough
6. Matthew Scarlett. Only because I thought that Lake had a better year, and still didn't get the full back role.
10: Adam Goodes: Dual Brownlow medalist...really? A flashy player in a boring team (not saying sydney doesn't have good players)

For KH: :thumbsu: will be a disaster on and off the field.
for Kozi: Think your a bit rough there, really has stood up for the saints this year
for Scarlett: I understand your reasoning, I personally agree Lake should have got the FB position, but to say scarlett is overrated is harsh, really worth the AA this year, just not ahead of Lake.
for Goodes: One of the few players in the comp that can have 0 impact until the last 10-20 minutes of the last quarter then still win a BOG. And he rarely has a game where he has so little impact for so long. Rare freakish talent.

Underrated:
1. Matthew Lloyd. I want him to retire, and he is well past his prime, but still has the ability to lead and turn games (E.g. Rd 22 Vs Hawthorn)
10: Daniel Kerr. People forget how good he really is. Unlucky with injuries, and nobody to relieve his tag.
You're saying he is underrated because he can still lead? Until Lloyd loses the ability to run he will always be able to lead. He is definitely past it.
In regards to Kerr, he was a gun with better players around him. I think the fact that he doesn't play well when tagged is more of a reason he is overrated as opposed to underrated.

OVERRATED
1. DALE THOMAS
2. Matt Priddas
3.Matthew Scarlett
4. Cam Mooney
5. Nick Maxwell (All Aus pfft)

UNDERRATED
1. Andrew McQualter
2. Danial Cross
3.Bernie Vince (Although now rated)
4. Lenny Hayes (Deserves more credit)
5. Mark Lecras (Seriously....Davis in the all aus:thumbsdown:)

Overrated:

Dale Thomas
Mark Blake
Leon Davis (Only during finals)
Cam Mooney
Dane Swan
Brent Stanton
Chris Tarrant
Richard Tambling
Tim Callan
Chris Yarran
Robert Warnock

Underrated:

Lenny Hayes (3rd in Brownlow proves he is good)
Ben Warren (How he can kick 4 in a losing team and not get a rising star is beyond me)
Taylor Walker
Tyson Edwards
Scott D Thompson
Michael Jamison
James McDonald
Simon Prestigiacomo
Nathan Grima
David Zaharakis
Mark LeCras
Dustin Fletcher
Andrew Swallow
Craig Bird

Though all the trade hype about Warnock last year was a bit much considering he isn't that good.

Isn't it funny how most of the "overrated" players come from popular Victorian clubs?(Richmond, Collingwood, Geelong, Essendon, Carlton)

OVERRATED
1. DALE THOMAS
2. Matt Priddas
3.Matthew Scarlett
4. Cam Mooney
5. Nick Maxwell (All Aus pfft)

UNDERRATED
1. Andrew McQualter
2. Danial Cross
3.Bernie Vince (Although now rated)
4. Lenny Hayes (Deserves more credit)
5. Mark Lecras (Seriously....Davis in the all aus:thumbsdown:)

Does anyone actually rate Dale? He's a decent player, but most C'wood supporters agree he's inconsistent and still coming to terms with AFL. It's more the image with Thomas, his media marketability precedes his performance.

If you understood the game, you would realise how vital Maxwell is for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Top 10 Overrated and Underrated Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back