John McDonald
Matthew Wright
Travis Dulic
Dayne Zorko
Tim Bongetti
Matthew Quinton
Michael Dell Aquilla

Who else?

I'm surprised that with last years draft said to be so deep, and this years so shallow, there were not more players say 19 years olds drafted who missed out last year.

I agree. From the VFL;

Neville - Said to be a gun i think he is not great.
Iaccabouci - Missed out b/c he is a good solid player (in the bentick mould).
Horne - Still too short? Dont know what else it could be. He is a great player.
Bannister - Trained with roos, dont know much about him.

Valenti, Cartledge and Martin were picked up today.

Others;

Zakharis
Joyce
Hockey

Good point with the over aged players. I expected a few more 19-22 year olds to go this year, particularly today in the PSD and Rookie Draft.

Zaharakis and Joyce are bottom aged, so couldn't go today. I already mentioned Hockey. ;)

Daniel Noy is another name we might have seen, but didn't.

Quite a few missed that I thought would get there. Agree Hall, Denis Lane, Hockey, Renton are some of the more unlucky. Get them down to Lexus to play with the Pies seconds side.

Very surprised with Hall, Hockey and Dell Aquila missing. Just goes to show the emphasis clubs put on athletes and pace I guess - the above are pure footballers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James Bristow.

Anyone got any idea why these players missed the cut..
Jackson Hall
Haelen Kay
Michael Dell Aquilla- Too injury prone(OP and hamstring at DC) would have scared clubs off... i was really surprised i thought he would have at least got rookied

Jayden Donaldson - Bendigo Pioneers.
Terrible testing results, lack of fitness through injuries cost him a spot.

Jackson Hall very very unlucky.

Is there more to it than meets the eye with Jackson Hall?

I must've missed something because I rated him very highly.

HBF said:
I'm of the same view. Didn't do much wrong when I saw him play.

Same here. He was the biggest surprise for me. I thought he played very well in the last half of the season.

I'm just as baffled with Haelen Kay as I am with Jackson Hall. Sure, his kicking needs work but he can kick a ball very well (with the obvious weakness being that he can kick a ball very poorly) so it seems to be something that could be fixed.

Both of their non-selections really surprise me. I'm not a huge Hall fan, but I certainly expected him to go in the ND as he brings a fair bit to the table.

Is there more to it than meets the eye with Jackson Hall?

I must've missed something because I rated him very highly.

I thought Hall would go, but I can understand why he didn't.

He gets a fair amount of the ball, but never hurts you with it. He's also quite unaccountable. Has some likeable attributes, but doesn't bring an awful lot to the table IMO.

Harry Croft was one that should have gone IMO. Just played in a variety of roles all year and had a few troubles with injury (OP and the like). If he was injury free and played mostly as a leadup CHF he would have gone in the ND IMO. I could see him come through the VFL and get rookied in a few years.

Burstin and Francis would also have gotten drafted if they had injury free years too IMO. Like Croft, they could be on a few clubs radars in a few years if they put together some solid VFL footy.

Of the guys already mentioned, I'm surprised no one even rookied Zorko, I rated him quite highly. Hockey I wasn't surprised was overlooked, but I still like him and think he has something to offer an AFL club.

I'm just as baffled with Haelen Kay as I am with Jackson Hall. Sure, his kicking needs work but he can kick a ball very well (with the obvious weakness being that he can kick a ball very poorly) so it seems to be something that could be fixed.

Kicked the ball pretty well during the Champs when he played as a permanent forward. But, having said that, I did see him butcher it quite badly when he was playing on a wing.

Is the system right? Should list sizes be increased? Does the AFL need to slow the game up so 'slow' players are given more of a chance? Is there too much 'punting' in the rookie draft?

The fact is that some of the players who missed out on being selected are superior footballers to those who got picked. You'll only need to look at the VFL, WAFL or SANFL come the middle of next year to see that some undrafted players are having more of an impact on footy than guys who are on AFL lists.

I hope all the blokes who missed out can go away, play a good year in the VFL and try again and again and again if need be. Persist. There are knockbacks in every job search - not everyone who applies for a job first time gets it. Footy is no different. The stories of Jarrod Silvester, Brodie Moles, Nathan Grima and Jarrod Atkinson who got rookied should be good enough motivation for every single one of them to put the head down and try to prove the recruiting fellas wrong.

I hope all the blokes who missed out can go away, play a good year in the VFL and try again and again and again if need be. Persist. There are knockbacks in every job search - not everyone who applies for a job first time gets it. Footy is no different. The stories of Jarrod Silvester, Brodie Moles, Nathan Grima and Jarrod Atkinson who got rookied should be good enough motivation for every single one of them to put the head down and try to prove the recruiting fellas wrong.

You can add Denis Armfield to that list as well footyman. Was available in the '05 draft, and Col Wiseby even had him ranked #8 2 years ago. Didn't get selected, and then spent 2 years at Swan Districts. Watching him at training today, and I can see why Carlton selected him. A real goer.

Is the system right? Should list sizes be increased? Does the AFL need to slow the game up so 'slow' players are given more of a chance? Is there too much 'punting' in the rookie draft?

The fact is that some of the players who missed out on being selected are superior footballers to those who got picked. You'll only need to look at the VFL, WAFL or SANFL come the middle of next year to see that some undrafted players are having more of an impact on footy than guys who are on AFL lists.

I suppose the problem with this is that is list sizes were to be made bigger I can only see clubs getting more speculative with their picks. I completely agree with your sentiment, but bigger list sizes with the aim of trying to get more footballers in over athletes might be counter productive because teams could end up getting more speculative.

If there were two extra spots on every list would footballers like Ashley Hockey, Tim Bongetti and Thomas Rockliff have got taken over athletes like Steve Gaertner and Joel Smouha. I guess we'll never know, but it makes for an interesting discussion. I guess you'd probably get your mix of both and that could only be good because it gives the footy players more chance to prove their worth in the system.

Completely agree with your last point. It's certainly not the end of the road for those determined enough to make the AFL if they've missed out this year. Every year there are success stories of guys who have been overlooked in past drafts that have come in and chopped it up. Sam Mitchell's is an excellent story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top aged players that missed out today as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back