Opinion Top up

Remove this Banner Ad

so after three and a half games two of which we won handsomely, you think we can make this call, it just baffles me. Using this protocol there would be a few footballs at our club that would never have got another game after their first four games.
It also doesn't explain why Goldy went to shit for the back end of the year.

so after three and a half games two of which we won handsomely, you think we can make this call, it just baffles me. Using this protocol there would be a few footballs at our club that would never have got another game after their first four games.

they played in the NAB cup games also.... But as i mentioned, unless Goldy does more around the ground its a waste... Cannot afford to have 2 big guys get 10 possies a game. Even when Goldy plays on his own, his stats are pretty low... Anyway actually have a break down of stats? Marks, kicks, handballs.

I might have missed something, but it seems to me there have been very few significant trades involved in the three teams who have won a premiership since 2007.
Geelong - traded Moloney and #12 for Ottens in 2004 (finished 4th that year)

Collingwood - traded #14 and #16 for Jolly in 2009 (finished 4th)
- would have traded for Ball in 2009, but didn't have to

Hawthorn - nothing, but picked up Stuart Dew coming back from retirement in 2007 (finished 5th). Of course they've done a few trades (Burgoyne, Gibson, Hale) since 2008 and it looks like it might bear fruit this year.

I've probably missed something glaringly obvious, but it still seems to me we'd be going a year early at least. And the most common trade commodity, a ruckman, we've got covered.

Yes. Wonder if we can get a guy like Merret from Brisbane. Big Key Defender who can also play up Forward.
Although i think our backline is pretty good this is a great idea in my view as it would release Thompson to intercept anythiing coming in....

Call Brad make it happen!!

Certainly a small forward. We don’t really have a natural crumber on the list at all.

Would you expect the mature mids to come in and play a role straight away or be there as insurance?

Straight away until a junior player takes their spot. No more apprenticeship games. We have had 3 and a half years of that shit.

I ask because if Mullett and Kennedy are going to get games in the backline in 2013, one can assume that Atley goes into the middle. That gives us Wells, Swallow, Cunnington, Ziebell, Bastinac, Atley, Adams, Macmillan, Gibson and Anthony as our midfield rotations based on 2012. Who makes way for the 2-3 mature midfielders?

Anyone that disappears in the contest should be dropped until they are ready to play proper senior AFL football. Bastinac for starters and Anthony & Gibson need pressure applied.

As long as the mature types come via the rookie draft or late picks I’m fine with that. We still need to target quality youth while pushing for a flag to ensure we can maintain a conveyer belt policy of talent out, talent in, thus keeping us up for an extended period, not just a few years.
I was moreso after examples, rather than definite targets, so that I can get a better idea of what you are thinking. If a very, very good player wants to come to North and is a better option that the incumbent, I wholeheartedly agree.

If a prime mid shows up then we throw everything at them, but I agree we should keep our 1st pick otherwise. Happy top trade a 2nd rounder for solid mature citizens, and of course, take advantage of the free agent process.

Straight away until a junior player takes their spot. No more apprenticeship games. We have had 3 and a half years of that shit.
I guess that's my point. After 3 and a half years these guys will most likely be ready to now rock and roll properly. Cunners, JZ, Basti and Wright at +50 games, Atley, Harper and Macmillan at 30+. That's a third of our 22. Getting in senior types could very well be a waste considering that our guys will (fingers crossed) make it impossible for them to get in in the first place and that very good to excellent young players go from high 30's picks onwards each year.

Whatever happens we do need good, true, midfield depth, which I'm not sure we have at the minute. Levi and Cruize are the only two outside the 22 that you would call decent options for the cauldron at this stage. None developing either. Considering this then I would be happy to bring in a ready to go option either by trade or late draft pick/rookie pick. 2 or 3? no, I think that's too many. In hindsight bringing in Lynch and probably Mangan (who I like) was probably not the best idea.

If he is fit enough and mentally in the right frame of mind I would be very happy to get Travis Tuck on the list. If he could be anything like his brother he would serve us very, very well.

If a prime mid shows up then we throw everything at them, but I agree we should keep our 1st pick otherwise. Happy top trade a 2nd rounder for solid mature citizens, and of course, take advantage of the free agent process.

Agree with the sentiments here, only thing I will add, In my opinion it would be preferable to get someone who can be damaging going forward.

I guess that's my point. After 3 and a half years these guys will most likely be ready to now rock and roll properly. Cunners, JZ, Basti and Wright at +50 games, Atley, Harper and Macmillan at 30+. That's a third of our 22. Getting in senior types could very well be a waste considering that our guys will (fingers crossed) make it impossible for them to get in in the first place and that very good to excellent young players go from high 30's picks onwards each year.

There's one sure way to keep them honest.

Whatever happens we do need good, true, midfield depth, which I'm not sure we have at the minute. Levi and Cruize are the only two outside the 22 that you would call decent options for the cauldron at this stage. None developing either. Considering this then I would be happy to bring in a ready to go option either by trade or late draft pick/rookie pick. 2 or 3? no, I think that's too many. In hindsight bringing in Lynch and probably Mangan (who I like) was probably not the best idea.

Mangan is still a kid and a keeper. He's just wrapped to be on a list and will bide his time.

Lynch is just another outside midfield transition player.

Our premiership window is 5 years away with the current group and their rate of development, Brad wants the team to develop organically, in other words he couldn't be bothered trading because its just too hard.
Here's a suggestion, Thomas, Anthony, MacIntosh, Grima, Greenwood and Wells all tradeable, see what gets offered, not saying get rid of but lets dangle the line in the water and see what bites. I know it won't happen, but neither will a flag for the forseeable future.
Club is in a rut, Brad is hanging by a thread, supporters are in denial.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where the hell would we get 2-3 mature mids from?

If you get them from the VFL you likely end up with guys like Clifton, Magner, Couch, Valenti etc. Other AFL teams don't like giving away their good midfielders.

Moloney, Goddard and Peirce would be free? there would be others around if we wanted to trade.

If we were the only club interested in them it would be easy. The difficulty is getting those type of players without paying massive overs in terms of salary.

I want to know why everyone still thinks MacMillan should be in the team? Slow, crap decision making , brings nothing to the team off half back. Would rather McKenzie, Mullet or Speight. Speaking of Speight - was in our best last year and can't get a game now?? Perfect half forward I reckon.... Quick, good skills - could create forward line pressure which we lack ! Worth a try?

I want to know why everyone still thinks MacMillan should be in the team? Slow, crap decision making , brings nothing to the team off half back. Would rather McKenzie, Mullet or Speight.
Slow, no. Crap decision maker, not really. Brings nothing to the team off half back? Probably because it's not exactly his role.

Speaking of Speight - was in our best last year and can't get a game now?? Perfect half forward I reckon.... Quick, good skills - could create forward line pressure which we lack ! Worth a try?
Probably because his form in VFL level was average at best all year?

Our premiership window is 5 years away with the current group and their rate of development, Brad wants the team to develop organically, in other words he couldn't be bothered trading because its just too hard.
Here's a suggestion, Thomas, Anthony, MacIntosh, Grima, Greenwood and Wells all tradeable, see what gets offered, not saying get rid of but lets dangle the line in the water and see what bites. I know it won't happen, but neither will a flag for the forseeable future.
Club is in a rut, Brad is hanging by a thread, supporters are in denial.

POTY

Invest in what we have. Its coming along very nicely, we just need to be patient - 2014 i predict will be our big spike up.

Invest in what we have. Its coming along very nicely, we just need to be patient - 2014 i predict will be our big spike up.
2015 - McDonald in his second year, McKenzie effectively in his third. A seasoned midfield all with 100-plus game. Black in attack. Goldy a very seasoned ruckman. Atley tearing it up in the midfield, Harper across half-forward. Swallow the Younger crossing from GC. I don't see any need to panic with our list adn throw the baby out with the bathwater, the rewards are obvious if we are patient.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, shades of Geelong under Thompson.

2015 - McDonald in his second year, McKenzie effectively in his third. A seasoned midfield all with 100-plus game. Black in attack. Goldy a very seasoned ruckman. Atley tearing it up in the midfield, Harper across half-forward. Swallow the Younger crossing from GC. I don't see any need to panic with our list adn throw the baby out with the bathwater, the rewards are obvious if we are patient.

Couldnt agree anymore - we are definately going to be the team everyone will not only fear but love to watch. The draft has clearly shown us that if you invest in it and recruit well (regardless of draft position) you will be rewarded if your patient. You're prob right about 2015 but i hope we can hold out till then.

Ablett, Scarlett, Johnson, Selwood, Bartel, Chapman, Corey, Enright, Ling, Ottens, Rooke.

Who do we have that comes even remotely close to any of these players?

Love ya work Scotty but this comparison is just silly talk.

Ablett, Scarlett, Johnson, Selwood, Bartel, Chapman, Corey, Enright, Ling, Ottens, Rooke.

Who do we have that comes even remotely close to any of these players?

Love ya work Scotty but this comparison is just silly talk.

How good were those blokes, bar Selwood, at 20-22?

Seriously.

Short memories.

Nothing is a given, but denying that there is any chance is daft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Top up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back