Tough shot for Goal for J Brown made easier by Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Slaja

Rookie
Aug 18, 2009
Williamstown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Luke Delaney wouldn't be happy with Cunnington, who gifted J Brown a goal.

Late in the 4th q, Brown took a grab about a metre inside the 50 in a marking contest against Cunners. For some bizarre reason, Cunnington didn't step up on the mark, but actually went back about 5 metres, which allowed Brown to take his shot, and goal, from just about right on the 50m line. I don't understand why we don't stand the mark harder. It was only about 10 minutes earlier that Brown had missed from about 55m, and allowing him to kick closer due to poor marking gave him the confidence to kick the goal, even though the angle was greater.

Cunners needed to wake up, it was a crap effort and hopefully the coaches highlight the error.

Not totally due to this absent minded effort, but I think Cunners needs to go to the VFL for a month to win some decent footy, either that or have him tag one of the Hawks midfielders this week

If anyone can download the vision on this incident to illustrate the point it would make the error easier to follow.

I was sitting right next to where the mark was taken. The umpire moved Cunnington back to where he was, suggesting that Brown in fact took the mark a bit closer. Of course Cunnington could have attempted to steal a meter or so, but gee, Brown's shot sailed through high enough for this all not to matter. But if it still dogs you on Wednesday afternoon, I take it you must have not watched the last quarter against Port, because you would have probably jumped out the window if you did. ;)

Luke Delaney wouldn't be happy with Cunnington, who gifted J Brown a goal.

Late in the 4th q, Brown took a grab about a metre inside the 50 in a marking contest against Cunners. For some bizarre reason, Cunnington didn't step up on the mark, but actually went back about 5 metres, which allowed Brown to take his shot, and goal, from just about right on the 50m line. I don't understand why we don't stand the mark harder. It was only about 10 minutes earlier that Brown had missed from about 55m, and allowing him to kick closer due to poor marking gave him the confidence to kick the goal, even though the angle was greater.

Cunners needed to wake up, it was a crap effort and hopefully the coaches highlight the error.

Not totally due to this absent minded effort, but I think Cunners needs to go to the VFL for a month to win some decent footy, either that or have him tag one of the Hawks midfielders this week

If anyone can download the vision on this incident to illustrate the point it would make the error easier to follow.

Good pickup. We need to nail all these little things along the way.

I remember it when it happened.

Brown was just inside the 50 when he completed the grab, and next thing I see Cunners about 40 out on the mark.

I noticed it at the time, and was thinking that cunners was leaving the mark for someone else to take it. That was the only reasonable explanation i could think of. Have just looked at the replay a couple of times and there is no-one there. Cunners with hands in the air walks back a number of paces, and then after this, the umpire draws him back the obligatory extra metre. Benefit of the doubt. Must have been one exhausted young man I reckon.

Without singling out Cunners, I reckon the OP has a point. We're pretty generous when we stand the mark.

I've especially noticed this when teams are kicking in from near the goal line. When the positions are reversed we're given practically no room to get a decent run-up.

And when someone's having a shot from the boundary line close to goal we never crowd the guy with players encroaching along the line of his kick.

And when we take a mark close to goal we never try to improve the angle before the umpire arrives on the scene. If anything we take several steps toward the boundary line after marking and stay there.

In other words, we're too bloody nice!

I'm not advocating reckless encroaching on the mark to the point that we're giving up goals. However, I reckon we shouldn't give an inch if we can avoid it.

I can't believe you could play and watch footy for 15 to 20 years and not try to do these little things at every opportunity.

also happened 'right in front of me'.. and at the time I was wondering why Cunners was not pushing closer to 50m and even the umpire was marking the spot further out than Cunners was standing.
We definitely should push up on the mark as hard as we can, without giving away 50. Other teams do it.

Without singling out Cunners, I reckon the OP has a point. We're pretty generous when we stand the mark.

No one's bothering to try because they nothing will come close to Lachie Hansens effort a couple of years ago :thumbsu: was a great spin

But yeah, all those little things lead to a bigger thing, which leads to another bigger thing etc and so on.
So we really need to crack down and do all those 'professional' things.

Starting this week vs the premiership favourites :rolleyes:

I remember it when it happened.

Brown was just inside the 50 when he completed the grab, and next thing I see Cunners about 40 out on the mark.

Cunners shouldnt be on the mark to begin with. It should be manned by one of our talls, and there should be talls on the goal line to try to lay a fist on it.

common sense.

Cunners shouldnt be on the mark to begin with. It should be manned by one of our talls, and there should be talls on the goal line to try to lay a fist on it.

common sense.

Maybe we're working on the 5 percenters before we start worrying about the 1 percenters??

common sense.

Bigger question was why he was the one defending Brown while he took the mark...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its been one of my pet hates for ages, along with guys standing a meter of the contest with arms on hips looking like were at a bbq as we waite for the ump to call for a bounce.

No one's bothering to try because they [know] nothing will come close to Lachie Hansens effort a couple of years ago :thumbsu:
Heheh, that stilll cracks me up!

[YOUTUBE]KkGZr-oGSsU[/YOUTUBE]
2czyejk.gif
...taken from this thread

brain fade has always been a big issue with AFL footballers,

1 percenters cost nothing,

its not rocket science, there shouldn't be any interchange infringements, its easy to wait untill the other player has run off,

there shouldn't be any issues with mark, you are allowed to ask ump to confirm where mark is,

there shouldn't be any center square infringements, its quite obvious when the ump has bounced the ball,

and as for conquer downing saad last night off the ball and giving up a free, that was plain ridiculous,

remember just because thay are afl footballers dont mean they are smart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tough shot for Goal for J Brown made easier by Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Back