Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has a ridiculous natural VO2 max score. Last year Bont described him as our most important player as he is a virtual on-field coach.
He is always there for the outlet kick from a stoppage or when rebounding from 50. Bloke makes a few skill errors every now and then but I reckon that cause he works his a** off to get into position. Great player for us

With our line up and tactics, as much as I want us to play an offensive wingman, it appears we won’t. Our wings appear to be wingbacks and only on the defensive side. We also persistently play a 7 man defence.

This leaves us 5 offensive players and 3 on ballers (plus ruck). Of these 5, it appears we like 2 talls, 2 marking mediums and a small. Reserves in brackets.
Talls:
Naughton (Schache)
Bruce (Le Young)

Mediums:
Dale (Wallis)
Lloyd (Dickson)

Small:
McLean / Weightman (Cavara)

Wings being defensive will mean that we are only looking at:
Hunter, La Young, R Smith, Hayes

This puts Richards & Williams into HBF competition with Suckling, Daniel & JJ.

Young players who without injuries who may be looking elsewhere at end of year:
McLean, Williams, Richards, West, Schache, Le Young

I am not one of the coaches & I hope I am wrong with our likely lineup. I would play Williams & Richards ahead of Daniel & Suckling.

With our line up and tactics, as much as I want us to play an offensive wingman, it appears we won’t. Our wings appear to be wingbacks and only on the defensive side. We also persistently play a 7 man defence.

This leaves us 5 offensive players and 3 on ballers (plus ruck). Of these 5, it appears we like 2 talls, 2 marking mediums and a small. Reserves in brackets.
Talls:
Naughton (Schache)
Bruce (Le Young)

Mediums:
Dale (Wallis)
Lloyd (Dickson)

Small:

I am not one of the coaches & I hope I am wrong with our likely lineup. I would play Williams & Richards ahead of Daniel & Suckling.
West looking elsewhere....???? Schache just put pen to paper late last year... a fit suckling will play over Williams or Richards everyday of the week and leaving Daniel out..??? Do go on haha 😂 Or are we going to “tank” this year for draft picks for our academy players.

Talls:
Naughton (Schache)
Bruce (Le Young)

Mediums:
Dale (Wallis)
Lloyd (Dickson)

Small:

Richards has been very out of form he needs to go to the 2s to develop his game similar to how Lippa did at the start of last year. Give him a run in the guts or on a wing to develop his game more. He doesnt get enough of the ball so maybe this will give him the opportunity to learn. On form he does not make the 22 for round 1. No harm in while we have depth developing our kids in the VFL.

Caleb was fantastic on the weekend and its clear our game plan out of defense is to get it in his hands to start the attack forward. Suckers is Bevos boy he will play for sure and he was pretty good last year and can play hbf, wing and hf so hes versatility is handy. These young blokes will get in the side eventually but theres no point rushing them in when they arent the best in that position at the moment

McLean, Williams and Lewis Young are all guys I can definitely see looking elsewhere despite their current contract status, so I would agree with you there. They will be starved of opportunity in a fully fit side, but would likely make the 22 in a number of other teams (McLean in the majority of teams).

Schache only just signed on until 2022, and will likely feature in our side the majority of weeks. He seems past his form issues and has addressed a number of weaknesses in his game. He now seems fairly reliable for around 2 goals/game - we haven't had many 40 goal/year players lately. Doubt he struggles for a game this year.

Richards is given opportunity even when he underperforms. Doubt he goes anywhere anytime soon.

Something would need to go seriously wrong for West to look elsewhere.

If we hope to win a final this year, there's no way Williams and Richards are forcing out Daniel and Suckling unless there's an enormous improvement in form by the former, or massive drop off from the latter. Daniel and Suckling are among our best and most important players

McLean, Williams and Lewis Young are all guys I can definitely see looking elsewhere despite their current contract status, so I would agree with you there. They will be starved of opportunity in a fully fit side, but would likely make the 22 in a number of other teams (McLean in the majority of teams).

Schache only just signed on until 2022, and will likely feature in our side the majority of weeks. He seems past his form issues and has addressed a number of weaknesses in his game. He now seems fairly reliable for around 2 goals/game - we haven't had many 40 goal/year players lately. Doubt he struggles for a game this year.

Richards is given opportunity even when he underperforms. Doubt he goes anywhere anytime soon.

Something would need to go seriously wrong for West to look elsewhere.

If we hope to win a final this year, there's no way Williams and Richards are forcing out Daniel and Suckling unless there's an enormous improvement in form by the former, or massive drop off from the latter. Daniel and Suckling are among our best and most important players

I just see too many defensive deficiencies with Suckling and Daniel. I know Suckling is Bevo boy and can do a lot offensively but I think teaching Richards his role in the team and feeding him the ball, like we do Suckling, would benefit the team.

Schache I hope moves into a medium forward or wing role. His disposal is great but he isn’t currently a KPF. He could be one day but isn’t now.

I just see too many defensive deficiencies with Suckling and Daniel. I know Suckling is Bevo boy and can do a lot offensively but I think teaching Richards his role in the team and feeding him the ball, like we do Suckling, would benefit the team.

Schache I hope moves into a medium forward or wing role. His disposal is great but he isn’t currently a KPF. He could be one day but isn’t now.
In terms of Schache, I don't think we'll be playing him as a traditional KPF anyway. So many of his possessions are higher up the ground, where we put his great field kicking to better use. He's more of a mobile tall flanker, which fits him alongside Naughton and Bruce quite nicely. If he was to compete with those two for a spot, he'd be playing VFL

Long season ahead very hard to say right now who will and won't get games. Injuries always play apart in deciding that. We may lose some to look for greater opportunity, if that is the case hope we get a good deal / slash drive a hard bargain.
Good depth is necessary in a Premiership tilt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The pies haven’t been too outstanding on the recruitment front over the last 10years.

Grundy, De Goey and Stephenson picked themselves and they have got some decent players with the odd later pick but if you look at their recruitment over that period, there’s been quiet a few rubbish drafts for them.

Hopefully he’s a good pick up, but from the little we know of him, his CV could be read as pretty ordinary.

The pies haven’t been too outstanding on the recruitment front over the last 10years.

Grundy, De Goey and Stephenson picked themselves and they have got some decent players with the odd later pick but if you look at their recruitment over that period, there’s been quiet a few rubbish drafts for them.

Hopefully he’s a good pick up, but from the little we know of him, his CV could be read as pretty ordinary.

They have been very active in trade periods though which has impacted their drafting. Adams, Treloar, Beams etc.

They have been very active in trade periods though which has impacted their drafting. Adams, Treloar, Beams etc.

They sure have. It’s left them with plenty of mid to late selections in most of those drafts, but if you go back to 2009 more often than not their mid/late picks have turned out to be pretty ordinary and nearly all their rookie picks have been shite. Cox and Mihocek being the exception.

It’s something to consider as Milesi was the talent identifier during that time.

Think the because we mostly Trade our 1st Round Draft Picks Away

None of those players picked themselves. Grundy maybe at 18, but heaps of teams chose to not draft him. De Goey was considered a bolter at the time. Stephenson was tipped to slide because of his heart condition. All of those picks were good decisions Collingwood made that other teams didn't or weren't going to. Hine is right up there as one of the better drafters.

Think the because we mostly Trade our 1st Round Draft Picks Away

Unfortunately for Milesi, he isn’t judged on how many first rounders he traded out, he’s judged on the picks he has been able to identify prospects against and for large parts of the last 10 years the Pies have had some shocking drafts.

09,10,11 all busts. 12 a massive bust apart from Grundy.
13, 14, 15 good drafts.
16 Bust.
17,18,19 juries still out.

None of those players picked themselves. Grundy maybe at 18, but heaps of teams chose to not draft him. De Goey was considered a bolter at the time. Stephenson was tipped to slide because of his heart condition. All of those picks were good decisions Collingwood made that other teams didn't or weren't going to. Hine is right up there as one of the better drafters.

Grundy the only slider yes but the other two were never going to last far past the pick they went. They were touted as top 10 weeks out from the draft. Picking a gun player with Pick 5 and 6 doesn’t exactly require much skill for someone who watches U18 footy all year round.

Go and have a quick geez at their draft hauls over the last 10 years. Been some stinkers

Milesi could’ve been the scout who identified all the guns they’ve drafted and it was someone else there who picked the spuds.
Hopefully that’s the case and we’ve got ourselves a good one, but as a whole, Collingwoods Recruitment CV looks pretty ordinary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back