Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda is unwilling to part with its No. 43 draft pick for Jackson Macrae, hopeful of securing the triple All Australian with a backend pick.

St Kilda is prepared to absorb the huge salary he is owed in the next three years - which is above $800,000 in the next two seasons.

Macrae and his management are prepared to drive a hard bargain on a trade as he moves to St Kilda, which is desperate to keep picks seven, 24 and 43 plus a Josh Battle compensation pick.

They will offer a third or fourth-round pick for Macrae, the player of the 2021 finals series.

Pick 43 is a third round pick though…

Smith attended 50% in 2022 and 30% (with far less as the season progressed as his form dropped off) in 2023. It is true he was never to really top 3 with us and could have been with others, but at the same time it wasn't as if he wasn't given opportunities to prove us all wrong and demonstrate that we were a better team the more we put him in the middle over others.

He was severely underplayed there in 2023. He has to take responsibility to because he had an awful season regardless of where he was playing but he really should have got opportunities.

When he went in when Treloar was out and played head to head roles against Carlton and Adelaide, he was probably our best player. 15 coaches votes in the two games, 30 and 37 touches. Then Treloar came back and he was back to half forward and having zero influence. Should've stayed in the midfield and played a role similar to what Richards played this year. There was room

Think he would have had a big year if he didn't do his knee because I think they would have given him those chances for sure. Do agree that Richards has gone ahead of him for now, but probably would have been handy to have both of them with our main midfielders closer to the end than the start of their careers. He was never staying after he did the knee unfortunately.

Article says the Saints won’t give up 43 for Macrae and want to get him for a later pick.

Also said Macrae and his manager are prepared to drive a hard bargain. Not sure how that’s possible with a 3 year contract to go.

Should be fun.

Gee if we can’t even get pick 43 for him and aren’t using his salary elsewhere, we should be keeping him.

I'm very surprised by that from Saints. I thought Macrae for pick 43 would have been a pretty simple deal, if anything I thought we'd be the ones trying to get a little more.

They need to trade something for Soldo too I guess. Have no idea what his worth is, Port massively overpaid for him last season. He is probably worth something close to that pick 43 as well.

I think they can probably find a way to work it that they can keep there first two picks and the compensation pick but would assume there third and fourth rounders for this year and next would be needed to secure the two of them.

I'm very surprised by that from Saints. I thought Macrae for pick 43 would have been a pretty simple deal, if anything I thought we'd be the ones trying to get a little more.

They need to trade something for Soldo too I guess. Have no idea what his worth is, Port massively overpaid for him last season. He is probably worth something close to that pick 43 as well.
Sam Power is dealing with that Flog Silvagni we have the whip hand here not the saints it’s pick 43 or no deal

St Kilda is unwilling to part with its No. 43 draft pick for Jackson Macrae, hopeful of securing the triple All Australian with a back-end pick.
St Kilda is prepared to absorb the huge salary he is owed in the next three years – which is above $800,000 in the next two seasons.
Macrae and his management are prepared to drive a hard bargain on a trade as he moves to St Kilda, which is desperate to keep picks seven, 24 and 43 plus a Josh Battle compensation pick.
They will offer a third or fourth-round pick for Macrae, the player of the 2021 finals series.
They will likely offer a mid-draft future pick for Ivan Soldo, and could end up trading their future second pick with the Power’s future third pick.

St Kilda is unwilling to part with its No. 43 draft pick for Jackson Macrae, hopeful of securing the triple All Australian with a back-end pick.
St Kilda is prepared to absorb the huge salary he is owed in the next three years – which is above $800,000 in the next two seasons.
They will likely offer a mid-draft future pick for Ivan Soldo, and could end up trading their future second pick with the Power’s future third pick.
The Power paid the world for Soldo when he left Richmond.
But the trade value of mid-tier rucks is usually about pick 40-50 and he is due around $500,000 for each of the next two seasons, so they would let him go given Dante Visentini is a solid back-up.
The Power will secure Gold Coast’s Jack Lukosius on a deal rival contender Adelaide believes is seven years at $1 million a season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey Smith has done a ACL - he may well do another and be a spud lads.

Sam Power is dealing with that Flog Silvagni we have the whip hand here not the saints it’s pick 43 or no deal
Think I'd prefer St Kilda's F2 to be honest. This draft is deep, but our potential list changes next year will be massive. Lots of fringe uncontacted guys.

Macrae will be such a good get for Saint Kilda and finish top 5-7 in their b&f next season. I hope the trade breaks down and their tightness costs them Macrae. There's still a spot for him here next year, especially if Daniel then moves to North.

Yeah, I suspect we’d be happy to keep one or the other. They can posture, but their midfield is diabolical without Macrae if they don’t make any other moves.

Think I'd prefer St Kilda's F2 to be honest. This draft is deep, but our potential list changes next year will be massive. Lots of fringe uncontacted guys.
If that article is current that the Saints ain’t giving up pick 43 what makes you think they will give up an F2

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back