Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inclusiveness according to the Cambridge dictionary: the quality of including many different types of people and treating them ALL fairly and equally.
Key word being ‘all’.
All: every one of, complete amount of, the whole of

All does not allow to pick and choose

Inclusiveness is a double edged sword

Now back to the footy

Yes, including many different ‘types’ of people referring to traits that people don’t choose including sex, race, sexuality. If you choose to be racist, sexist, homophobic/ transphobic you’re making a choice to segregate yourself from an inclusive society. Pretty straight forward.

Yes, including many different ‘types’ of people referring to traits that people don’t choose including sex, race, sexuality. If you choose to be racist, sexist, homophobic/ transphobic you’re making a choice to segregate yourself from an inclusive society. Pretty straight forward.

0*NuUfYTApeku7mgIt

It looks like our 2 big targets for next year need to be a philosopher and a psychoanalyst
and a ruck wouldn't go astray
Given Sam Power said we'll be more active at trade time this year, I'll nominate my expectations as:

1. Ruck Plan A - Max Lynch (Pies) involving our 2022 first with 2022 later picks from Collingwood coming back (they need 2021 picks as much as we do
Ruck Plan B - Kieran Straughan (crows) involving our 2022 second round pick with a late 2021 pick coming back. Averaging 16 disposals and 36.5 hit outs in the SANFL
Ruck Plan C - Mason Cox. Probably has two years left, would cost a token late pick

2. KPD - potential DFA signings Schlengsong / Sam Skinner

3. KPF (1 year Bruce cover) - Tom Lynch or Josh Jenkins as a 1 year DFA signing.

4. Small forward - Jarmaine Jones from WCE - stuck behidn others and previously courted for our VFL side.

Philosopher: Epicurus (DFA). Unfortunately a lot of his works didn't survive but by example he eschewed the big frescos that were fashionable in Athenian households at the time and lived with friends.
His view that friendship was more important than materialism and the fact that 2 weeks before he died, and despite sufferring from kidney stones, he wrote a letter stating how happy he was seems to fit in the Bevo worldview.

Pick swaps - 2022 picks for 2021 & 2022 later picks, noting next year we have a father son (Croft) so we'll need points for him too

Last edited:
We ain't getting any ruckman this year. bevo simply doesn't rate them.

This trope is so ****ing stupid. If it was true how does it explain our use of a 1st round draft pick on Tim English? When convention has it to take them late or from another club after they have done the hard work. Or indeed our recognition of the problems that we have in the ruck that we punted on a broken 34 year old, but proven ruckman?

What he clearly doesn't rate is sub-par ruckmen who offer nothing around the ground. This shouldn't come as surprise given his entire coaching philosophy is based on the mantra of player flexibility.

This trope is so ******* stupid. If it was true how does it explain our use of a 1st round draft pick on Tim English? When convention has it to take them late or from another club after they have done the hard work. Or indeed our recognition of the problems that we have in the ruck that we punted on a broken 34 year old, but proven ruckman?

What he clearly doesn't rate is sub-par ruckmen who offer nothing around the ground. This shouldn't come as surprise given his entire coaching philosophy is based on the mantra of player flexibility.
Agreed. Can't believe people still run with it.

Why is it a gamble worth taking? He has no upside.

We can’t find a better ruck?
That's your view and I don't disagree but my point about Witts was that Collingwood supporters said the same about Witts. The reality is we don't know unless they are put in the position. The question is "Is it worth the risk"?

That's your view and I don't disagree but my point about Witts was that Collingwood supporters said the same about Witts. The reality is we don't know unless they are put in the position. The question is "Is it worth the risk"?
Collingwood supporters said Witts was a good tap ruckman but was only a no 1 ruck so couldn't play with Grundy. He has moved somewhere to be the no 1 ruckman.

Just curious who people are sending out to bring players in? As based on our current uncontracted players and our likely rookie upgrades, drafting Darcy (and whether we need list spots open for the picks we take to the draft or not) we will have limited space to bring people in unless we trade out contracted players.

Also 2 of our uncontracted players have contracts on the table in lipinski and young. Which means there is a possibility that only guys off the senior list without trading contracted players could be Jong, Wallis and Martin (if he retires)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given Sam Power said we'll be more active at trade time this year, I'll nominate my expectations as:

1. Ruck Plan A - Max Lynch (Pies) involving our 2022 first with 2022 later picks from Collingwood coming back (they need 2021 picks as much as we do
Ruck Plan B - Kieran Straughan (crows) involving our 2022 second round pick with a late 2021 pick coming back. Averaging 16 disposals and 36.5 hit outs in the SANFL
Ruck Plan C - Mason Cox. Probably has two years left, would cost a token late pick

3. KPF (1 year Bruce cover) - Tom Lynch or Josh Jenkins as a 1 year DFA signing.

4. Small forward - Jarmaine Jones from WCE - stuck behidn others and previously courted for our VFL side.

Philosopher: Epicurus (DFA). Unfortunately a lot of his works didn't survive but by example he eschewed the big frescos that were fashionable in Athenian households at the time and lived with friends.
His view that friendship was more important than materialism and the fact that 2 weeks before he died, and despite sufferring from kidney stones, he wrote a letter stating how happy he was seems to fit in the Bevo worldview.

Pick swaps - 2022 picks for 2021 & 2022 later picks, noting next year we have a father son (Croft) so we'll need points for him too
When did Power say this?

On exposed form, I'd have Kieran Straughan as my number 1 target. I am a massive fan boy of his.
I'd hazard a guess and say that Straughan has performed better in the lower leagues than Lynch as well.
Straughan is in a great age bracket (25).

Witts was always a good number 1 ruck. He isn’t a ruck forward. Pies fans loved him but Grundy was better.

Collingwood supporters said Witts was a good tap ruckman but was only a no 1 ruck so couldn't play with Grundy. He has moved somewhere to be the no 1 ruckman.

Unbelievably Im not privy to the inner workings of our recruitment discussions. However, I think what you say may be an indicator as to why we haven't been able to recruit a quality 2nd ruck to give relief to a green English. I really do doubt that it has been through a lack of trying or Beveridge hating on the ruck...mans. Most options that would've been canvased are going to be journeymen the likes of Witts, Pruess or Hickey. None of whom would be prepared to move to another club after doing the hard yards of being a second ruck, only to potentially land in exactly the same position and be second fiddle to Tim English knowing our club has invested heavily into him as the number one ruckman. Who until his concussion was actually starting to live up to being the ruckman that we need.

This has left us with secondary ruck stocks consisting of a raw, but not very versatile state league level player, a number of tall non ruck hole fillers and a Hail Mary shot with a fragile 34 year old on his last legs. Its no coincidence that we loaded up and jumped on the Treloar gift as a means trying to turn our obvious weakness into a strength. All of the above was going swimmingly until Dunkley, Treloar, Martin, and English went down with injuries that none of have in my opinion fully recovered from.

The timing couldn't have been worse for the team and for us supporters, but the reaction of many of our supporters especially in here is just pathetic.

Last edited:
Unbelievably Im not privy to the inner workings of our recruitment discussions. However, I think what you say may be an indicator as to why we haven't been able to recruit a quality 2nd ruck to give relief to a green English. I really do doubt that it has been through a lack of trying or Beveridge hating on the ruck...mans. Most options that would've been canvased are going to be journeymen the likes of Witts, Pruess or Hickey. None of whom would be prepared to move to another club after doing the hard yards of being a second ruck, only to potentially land in exactly the same position and be second fiddle to Tim English knowing our club has has invested heavily into him as the number one ruckman. Who until his concussion was actually starting to live up to being the ruckman that we need.

This has left us with secondary ruck stocks consisting of a raw, but not very versatile state league level player, a number of tall non ruck hole fillers and a Hail Mary shot with a fragile 34 year old on his last legs. Its no coincidence that we loaded up and jumped on the Treloar gift as a means trying to turn our obvious weakness into a strength. All of the above was going swimmingly until Dunkley, Treloar, Martin, and English went down with injuries that none of have in my opinion fully recovered from.

The timing couldn't have been worse for the team and for us supporters, but the reaction of many of our supporters especially in here is just pathetic.
Given the players we've chased in recent years (notably Lobbe, Stef Martin previously,and Jackson Payne as a KPD) it seems weird that people actually think the club aren't trying to improve the list. It goes against all evidence and sense.

Unbelievably Im not privy to the inner workings of our recruitment discussions. However, I think what you say may be an indicator as to why we haven't been able to recruit a quality 2nd ruck to give relief to a green English. I really do doubt that it has been through a lack of trying or Beveridge hating on the ruck...mans. Most options that would've been canvased are going to be journeymen the likes of Witts, Pruess or Hickey. None of whom would be prepared to move to another club after doing the hard yards of being a second ruck, only to potentially land in exactly the same position and be second fiddle to Tim English knowing our club has invested heavily into him as the number one ruckman. Who until his concussion was actually starting to live up to being the ruckman that we need.

Yep we need to be clear as to what English is and what we see any new recruit being. Ruck share, number 1 ruck etc.

Given the players we've chased in recent years (notably Lobbe, Stef Martin previously,and Jackson Payne as a KPD) it seems weird that people actually think the club aren't trying to improve the list. It goes against all evidence and sense.

It also runs counter to boards (including mine of course) invariably knee jerk reactions to talk that we are linked to said players.

We can't have it both ways.

Yep we need to be clear as to what English is and what we see any new recruit being. Ruck share, number 1 ruck etc.

This is why convention has it to take rucks late, as rookies or from somewhere else.

We have asked a hell of a lot from Tim English.

Perhaps we saw him as a no 1 ruck but are starting to realise that he's... not?
I would hope that we continue with him as the forward/ruck role and target someone who can play more as a primary ruck in 2022.

Strachan sounds like the type we should target - stuck behind an established ruck a la Nank when he was at Sydney. Max Lynch in the same boat.

It also runs counter to boards (including mine of course) invariably knee jerk reactions to talk that we are linked to said players.

We can't have it both ways.

This is why convention has it to take rucks late, as rookies or from somewhere else.

We have asked a hell of a lot from Tim English
We have. A Lynch or Hayes type would need some convincing of the structure with English and does it suit them. Can we offer Lynch a more attractive role in the team than Hawks? Would Hayes come unless we really had plans to make him a number 1 ruck which is what his skill set is suited to? If we really still see English as a future number 1 ruck an older list filler is the go. Going to be tough until the club lands on exactly what English is going forward.

Perhaps we saw him as a no 1 ruck but are starting to realise that he's... not?
I would hope that we continue with him as the forward/ruck role and target someone who can play more as a primary ruck in 2022.

Strachan sounds like the type we should target - stuck behind an established ruck a la Nank when he was at Sydney. Max Lynch in the same boat.
Coming round to Strachan. Although Sweet was also impressive in the SANFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back