Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few mentally weak boys on our list that don’t back their ability to improve their games.

I think they should take a leaf out of Bailey Dale & Bailey Williams books.
Don't really see anything mentally weak about it. Can get more money and more gametime elsewhere in a role that they feel suits them better. It's a short career nothing wrong with trying to maximise it.

As long as they see out the contract they sign it's all good imo

People a while ago (like a year) mentioned Tyson Stengle. I know he was a douche and that's why he was let go but he seems to have his head back on straight and his footy going well.

Averaging
14 touches
2.5 goals
3 tackles
3 inside 50s
3 marks

I'd back Bevo and the team to get the best out of him and could be a really good pressure forward combo with Weightman.

That being said, I really want Rhylee West to get an opportunity in the forward line as well. Reckon He'd kill it as a pressure forward who can chop out in the midfield.

Just asking a question Pocket . There is a swirl of player movement innuendo to better all lists and prolong players careers and benefit a suiter.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The swirl of player movement innuendo is only really pushed by Croc/AFL media, in this case Cleary. Every second player that’s mentioned has Essendon or Carlton as a ‘possible suiter’. It’s obvious why. I don’t know who relies on it more - those doing the linking or fans of those clubs who are desperate to hear it.

Unless there’s something from the player or the clubs involved, you’re going on a journo’s opinion of where the player could fit well. Tenuous at best.

If we get Ladhams - well and good, but I wouldn't sell Lewis Young short in developing into a key defender, Tim English developing into a Forward Pocket or Jordan Sweet developing into a Primary Ruckman

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water

If we get Ladhams - well and good, but I wouldn't sell Lewis Young short in developing into a key defender, Tim English developing into a Forward Pocket or Jordan Sweet developing into a Primary Ruckman

The decision about Sweet, Young and English staying and developing in the positions you state maybe taken out of the clubs hands with them asking to be traded.

Can’t keep everyone sitting on the the list forever waiting in hope that they’ll come good.

The swirl of player movement innuendo is only really pushed by Croc/AFL media, in this case Cleary. Every second player that’s mentioned has Essendon or Carlton as a ‘possible suiter’. It’s obvious why. I don’t know who relies on it more - those doing the linking or fans of those clubs who are desperate to hear it.

Unless there’s something from the player or the clubs involved, you’re going on a journo’s opinion of where the player could fit well. Tenuous at best.

Fair point Pocket and
thanks for your temperate reply. Agree with your points. All clubs just want to improve. Will play out . Wish both clubs the best outcome .

Would Ben Crocker be worth a look? Provide some good FWD/MID depth that we'll lose after Lipinski and/or Wallis leave, and would be massively valuable for the boys to have such a positive presence around after such a demoralising GF loss
I'd rather give Garcia and West more opportunity next year.

Would Ben Crocker be worth a look? Provide some good FWD/MID depth that we'll lose after Lipinski and/or Wallis leave, and would be massively valuable for the boys to have such a positive presence around after such a demoralising GF loss
Might as well being back Gowers if that's what we want

Cannot blame him, MC gives mixed messages about VFL form And senior selection. They say they reward VFL form but promote players with ordinary form give them 10 weeks plus of poor or avaerage performance at AFL level. Other players who get 35 possessions and are BOG are promoted to sub or get 1 or 2 games to perform and vanished mid season not to reappear.

The kid has no choice and I believe this will bite us. Anyway our 27 years old Rookie won best first year player award. Will be interesting to see who will have the better career. The 27 yr old rookie who was gifted games or 23 yr old mid with the elite skills and vision. I have no doubt 1 will be a 200 plus game player and the other will struggle to get to 50. We of course invest in the Mitch Honeychurch/Billy Gowers/Will Hayes type player.
All footy lists have the same problem. Just ask Richmond, Collingwood, Essendope, and every other club. If we could pick the best players each year we would be forever unbeatable and so each of the other clubs.

Linked to Carlton. I looked him up in a limited search . 50 reserve games and 20 odd in the seniors over 5 years. Nice mark over Ceglar . What’s he like Dogs fans ?

He has the ability to take a LOT of intercept marks every now and then. He also has the tendency to lose his head at times and be extremely inconsistent from game to game. Bevo has played him everywhere - KPB, KPF and ruck. And in all 3 positions he has has moments where he has been great, and then lost his way. He is still only 22 so he may gain that consistency as he matures. But he hasn't become much more consistent over the last 4 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd hope any suggestions of West leaving are immediately shut down by Power. Kid has serious talent, and ideally we'd be looking to give him a reasonable amount of centre bounces starts next year

Too many get caught up in the romance of the son of a favourite son playing in the same side.
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think West is just a polder. There’s nothing about his current game that stands out in any of our lines. Slow, ordinary skills, not great decision making. He doesn’t have any attributes that demand a spot in our 22.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him playing elsewhere, or even not at all in a few years.

West is contracted and I’d be amazed if we let him go, seems to be a perfect Libba replacement.
Yeah but when would that happen
West not hanging around for 3 years waiting for the handover and Libba not going anywhere soon.
Agree he has the ability but who’s spot in the granny 22 does he take ?
Had a chance this year and was selfish with ball in hand and repeatedly flew for Mark’s against our key forwards when a front and centre small would have cleaned up

Should West ask to leave what does it do to our hopes of attracting his brothers father son ?
Are they next years draft ?
Are they developing into likely draftees ?

I don’t know much about how they are going but Rhylee leaving wouldn’t be a great sign I would think.

Is he or is that dunks?

Still would keep him as well, but he will struggle for games I feel.
Garcia will be the libba replacement. Bull that ferociously attacks the ball. Good in traffic and speedy over short distances (without being a running machine like Jj). I was a little concerned with his disposal early vfl games but I think he sharpened that up by the time he got his opportunities in the big boys team.

Last edited:
He has the ability to take a LOT of intercept marks every now and then. He also has the tendency to lose his head at times and be extremely inconsistent from game to game. Bevo has played him everywhere - KPB, KPF and ruck. And in all 3 positions he has has moments where he has been great, and then lost his way. He is still only 22 so he may gain that consistency as he matures. But he hasn't become much more consistent over the last 4 years.

Thanks for the reply Dogs . He’s young with potential. Where ever he plays .

Too many get caught up in the romance of the son of a favourite son playing in the same side.
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think West is just a polder. There’s nothing about his current game that stands out in any of our lines. Slow, ordinary skills, not great decision making. He doesn’t have any attributes that demand a spot in our 22.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him playing elsewhere, or even not at all in a few years.
Nah, he’s got talent. Watched him a fair bit in the VFL. Just needs to mature (from a football sense) but has a good eye for goal, can tackle and is competitive. His skills are fine and his deficiencies (now) are easily overcome with good coaching and a bit of introspection.

Nah, he’s got talent. Watched him a fair bit in the VFL. Just needs to mature (from a football sense) but has a good eye for goal, can tackle and is competitive. His skills are fine and his deficiencies (now) are easily overcome with good coaching and a bit of introspection.

Its such a fickle thing developing these guys throuh the seconds in the VFL. Its a question of whether the developing talent you see is the next Lachie Hunter or the next Ayce Cordy. I watched both learn their craft playing for the seagulls and thought they would both develop into high end talent. Only one became great!

Just asking a question Pocket . There is a swirl of player movement innuendo to better all lists and prolong players careers and benefit a suiter.

What would amaze me is if just one trade period Carlton said, 'Nah, we're not going to pay top dollar for a bunch of mid to average players from other clubs and we're not going to raid GWS again. We're going to the draft, we're going to develop our own from now on'. 😂

Last edited:
What would amaze me is if just one trade period if Carlton said, 'Nah, we're not going to pay top dollar for a bunch of mid to average players from other clubs and we're not going to raid GWS again. We're going to the draft, we're going to develop our own from now on'.

Well hopefully we trade well and develop also our unknowns. Incomings also to develop and get up to speed as to what’s required. We want to match you guys and Dees . Daydreaming I guess. Good luck who ever you guys draft .

From some of the games I've seen he has a bit of hunger and mongrel that few players do, there's a little bit of Libba about him when he's playing well. Whether he does it consistently, I haven't seen enough of him to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back