Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't he the one Bevo has a link with?
Correct and I believe he’s a Dogs supporter. Let’s hope if he does decide to come back, those couple of things can give us an edge. He was pick 3 seven months ago, enormous talent but also wouldn’t be cheap.

Our recruiters have a giant woodie over him. He’s a vic boy and hasn’t settled in as well as hoped in Sydney.

Doesn’t mean he’s actively trying to get out of there but there’s definitely questions being asked and GWS are putting a fair amount of pressure on for a signature.

Virtually no chance we get him I reckon.

It's cute to keep Wallis and JJ on the list but someone like will Hayes on minimum $ and $500-$600k to splash around would be more beneficial

It's cute to keep Wallis and JJ on the list but someone like will Hayes on minimum $ and $500-$600k to splash around would be more beneficial
Surely Wallis is on bottom dollar this year? JJ hasn't been out of contract for years either.

JJ's big contract ends this year. He signed it less than 12 months after winning a Norm Smith Medal so wouldn't be cheap, but fortunately he'll be taking a hefty pay cut come November.
Exactly. He should be cut from the list. Goes from norm Smith to big $ contract to zero. List management killer. Big part of why we didn't progress after 2016

Exactly. He should be cut from the list. Goes from norm Smith to big $ contract to zero. List management killer. Big part of why we didn't progress after 2016

JJ was a big reason why we made GF last year, FFS he was one of our better players in GF playing a really difficult role.

Having said that he will take a big $$ cut as you don’t pay small forwards what he is on. I see another side offering him a good contract and opportunity to go back to a half back play maker.

Of course Beveridge would never agree to have him go back there, we have Anthony Scott doing a great job as our main running player

JJ was a big reason why we made GF last year, FFS he was one of our better players in GF playing a really difficult role.

Having said that he will take a big $$ cut as you don’t pay small forwards what he is on. I see another side offering him a good contract and opportunity to go back to a half back play maker.

Of course Beveridge would never agree to have him go back there, we have Anthony Scott doing a great job as our main running player
Since when is Scott our Half Back play maker? Would that not be Daniel, Dale or Richards? Scott is a forward half outside role player. The exact role JJ will probably play when he comes back into the team in the next couple of weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the following 3 seasons he finished 2nd (by 1 vote), 7th and 4th in our B&F. Yes he was quiet through the two COVID years but I don’t think he’s a big part of the reason we didn’t progress 2017-2019 and not fair to say he’s a list management killer. Across his career there will be a couple of years where he was overpaid and a couple pre-2016 where he was underpaid. That’s all pretty normal.

Hayden Crozier has gone from top 10 B&F finishes in 2018 and 2019 to absolutely nowhere which is a much bigger fall from grace for mine.

JJ was good late last year, was good in preseason, was pulsing in the 3rd qtr of the granny but didnt have enough fresh legs around him, has been sorely missed, in saying that he should sign back on for not much money.

Over dramatic much? We've still been able to retain our young stars and traded in Bruce, Keath and Treloar on good coin. Sure JJ wasn't worth 600k a season (if true), but calling it a list management killer is way over the top.

The bigger issue was Boyd's contract. He won us a premiership so it was worth it, but we had a player that hardly did anything for 3 years and he was our highest paid player on a million a season. Thankfully he tore up the contract when he retired.

Despite the melts over the last 24 hours, I'm not as worried as others about the state of our list. We have a crazy amount of talent on our list that will still be here in 5 years time. We've had JUH and Darcy fall in our laps during a period of competitiveness, and will get another top 10 pick this year. I think people calling this a waste of the most talented list our club has ever seen are getting a little ahead of themselves - a lot of that talent is yet to reach their potential, and there's still plenty of time.

Say we do plateau or regress for a couple years, then rebound in 2025, we will have probably lost:

Martin (replaced by Sweet)
Duryea (replaced by Cleary?)
Keath (replacement unclear)
Libba (replaced by West/Garcia)

We may also have Bruce and JJ on their last legs. Out of that lot, the only one without an obvious replacement already on the list is probably Keath, and we still have this year to draft a KPD to begin developing. It's really not the end of the world if we do need a minor reset to get our spine in order.

We could still have a 31 year old Macrae, 30 year old Hunter, 29 year old Bont, etc. all in good condition and still capable of performing at an elite level without their bodies breaking down due to age.

Despite the melts over the last 24 hours, I'm not as worried as others about the state of our list. We have a crazy amount of talent on our list that will still be here in 5 years time. We've had JUH and Darcy fall in our laps during a period of competitiveness, and will get another top 10 pick this year. I think people calling this a waste of the most talented list our club has ever seen are getting a little ahead of themselves - a lot of that talent is yet to reach their potential, and there's still plenty of time.

Say we do plateau or regress for a couple years, then rebound in 2025, we will have probably lost:

Martin (replaced by Sweet)
Duryea (replaced by Cleary?)
Keath (replacement unclear)
Libba (replaced by West/Garcia)

We may also have Bruce and JJ on their last legs. Out of that lot, the only one without an obvious replacement already on the list is probably Keath, and we still have this year to draft a KPD to begin developing. It's really not the end of the world if we do need a minor reset to get our spine in order.

We could still have a 31 year old Macrae, 30 year old Hunter, 29 year old Bont, etc. all in good condition and still capable of performing at an elite level without their bodies breaking down due to age.
Darcy may replace Keath in time. The reason he's suited for a KPD role over a ruck or KPF is he can take a mark at his highest point and can put body on his opponent. He'll be a great 1 on 1 Defender. His ability to body his opponent will be less utilized in the forward line.

Darcy may replace Keath in time. The reason he's suited for a KPD role over a ruck or KPF is he can take a mark at his highest point and can put body on his opponent. He'll be a great 1 on 1 Defender. His ability to body his opponent will be less utilized in the forward line.
Harris Andrews type? Fletcher ?

Harris Andrews type? Fletcher ?

He's been compared to Harris Andrews by a few, I think Shifter Sheehan mentioned it early on in his draft year from memory. He does seem very confident in his foot skills as well. I've noticed he quite often looks to the centre of the ground and he's quite quick to move the ball on and will hit his target 9 times out of 10. I'm sure Beveridge would like this.

I'm still more of the view he's a forward simply because the way he intercepts the ball, he kinda looks like a forward leading out and taking it at the highest point. I can see why others view him as a back man though. His intercept marking and foot skills are two weapons he does have.

Darcy is close to 208cm and reportedly still growing. Would that be prohibitive to his ability to play KPD?

I assume he'd easily be the tallest key defender in AFL history if that's where he ends up playing, I don't have a clue if that's an advantage or a disadvantage..

Are we confident Baz is actually going to re-sign. Over half way and basically no update on the situation.

Darcy is close to 208cm and reportedly still growing. Would that be prohibitive to his ability to play KPD?

I assume he'd easily be the tallest key defender in AFL history if that's where he ends up playing, I don't have a clue if that's an advantage or a disadvantage..

I don't think he's mobile enough. Certainly not in Beveridge's defensive style when basically no one plays body to body.

He's the long term 2nd forward/ruck for me to pair with English.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back