Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we confident Baz is actually going to re-sign. Over half way and basically no update on the situation.

I don't think he's mobile enough. Certainly not in Beveridge's defensive style when basically no one plays body to body.

He's the long term 2nd forward/ruck for me to pair with English.
I don’t think there’s any indication he won’t has always spoke about how much he loves the joint and he’s obviously super popular with everyone - I just think the club has a lot of things going on right now tbh so I don’t think it’d be overly helpful for us to speculate either way, I’d be shocked if it didn’t get done but, probably just 3 year? contract to free agency at a guess, although wouldn’t surprise me at all if the longer it takes the more likely it’s a long termer, 5+ years. Would make sense if we wanted to know where we sit with the rest of the contracts that are a bit more up in the air (ie how much do we have to pay to keep Dale, English, Dunks or whether we end up keeping them at all) before we can lock in terms on a long term contract for Baz, more in terms of the breakdown on how much we pay per year etc

I don’t think there’s any indication he won’t has always spoke about how much he loves the joint and he’s obviously super popular with everyone - I just think the club has a lot of things going on right now tbh so I don’t think it’d be overly helpful for us to speculate either way, I’d be shocked if it didn’t get done but, probably just 3 year? contract to free agency at a guess, although wouldn’t surprise me at all if the longer it takes the more likely it’s a long termer, 5+ years. Would make sense if we wanted to know where we sit with the rest of the contracts that are a bit more up in the air (ie how much do we have to pay to keep Dale, English, Dunks or whether we end up keeping them at all) before we can lock in terms on a long term contract for Baz, more in terms of the breakdown on how much we pay per year etc

Baz has basically said "I'm waiting for the team and my manager to get it all figured out then I'm signing what they give me".

Coming off the bye we have the potential to add:

Bruce
JJ
García
McLean
Hannan

VDM and Hunter later

Also have Schache and JUH getting 5+ goal games and Crozier killing it every week these give us options for the build to finals. We are under the pump but can certainly make finals.

West has grabbed his opportunity- still hasn’t had a breakout game but has jumped an number of players and brings an edge to us that we have little of. Hope he can keep growing for the back end of this season.

English struggled against Geelong but more about coaching - they play him by moving into him front on and holding his arms down - took out his jump and made him wrestle - he will learn but this worked for Geelong. Sweet has stepped up but as a second ruck we lose a lot around the ground. Schache ruck work is still weak and Bruce is Ok but for a knee injury does that make sense?

We have a couple of players in the team struggling.

For the junior players McNeil, Scott, McComb and Buku that is OK - they just don’t have the experience.

Probably more important for us are Daniel and TOB have been very quiet and may come under pressure. Both are needed to pay to their potential and are not atm but Williams looked sure to be dropped weeks ago and have been refreshed on the wing so who knows. Cordy has dropped off.

Full team and we have a top 4 list and so we should focus on top ups in the window and 1-2 good young kids. We don’t need volume of players. Available KPDs are limited probably to Payne (people saying he won’t come but eventually will want to play AFL every week), Melican, Hamling and to a lesser extent Petty and Nelson (both 4th in line and should be playing) should be targets. If not we could go for a Lake moment - go for someone big and be prepared to give quality - someone wanting a premiership but doesn’t have one yet and will be worried if ever will come like Charlie Ballard or McKay or Weitering. It happens to us - why can’t we do it?

Small forwards I have talked about Lewis Taylor and Ronke - would go for them but wish a Charlie Cameron like aggressive player was available. I look in envy at Brisbane for the mix they have:

Bailey Daniher Cameron
Hipwood McStay McCarthy

Or Melbourne

Picket Brown Fritsch
JacKson MacDonald Spargo/Sparrow/Bullen

V

Weightman Bruce West
Buku/JUH/Schache Naughty JJ

This is our second strongest zone but not quite up to Brisbane but I reckon is better than Melb (but their defence has us in most positions)

Salem Lever Tomlinson
Rivers May Hunt

V

Dale/Daniel Gardner TOB
Duryea Keath and Richards

What is also clear is that Naughty on his own is getting mobbed. We have had this in so many previous years and don’t need to - we have the cattle and they should play. Bruce will make a world of difference and allow Naughty to get off the chain but I would play JUH or Schache and get them to lead to the flanks and kick long (great to see long bombs from Schache and good marks from Jamarra. No recruiting needed in tall forwards.

List looks OK when fit (see below) but still waiting to hear from Smith, English, Dunkley and others - this is getting worrying - signing up before a finals series has a great impact on the team and removes distractions. Media can’t help themselves.

I think we have to assume we will lose some players - rare we come through unscathed and we often get someone in ourselves.

Gaps are the same: Ruck, KPD, Small forward are obvious maybe a winger - we have Sweet, Darcy, Jones and Bedendo for those roles but if we have four picks we need to take four options in these roles.

Correct and I believe he’s a Dogs supporter. Let’s hope if he does decide to come back, those couple of things can give us an edge. He was pick 3 seven months ago, enormous talent but also wouldn’t be cheap.
Going to need some new blood coming into the midfield soon. He wouldn't be cheap but we wouldn't be paying pick 3 and has had 12 months development just need to convince him to come to the kennel

Remind me why we shouldnt be looking at Hayden McLean?

Are we confident Baz is actually going to re-sign. Over half way and basically no update on the situation.

I don't think he's mobile enough. Certainly not in Beveridge's defensive style when basically no one plays body to body.

He's the long term 2nd forward/ruck for me to pair with English.
Not just baz. English Dale Daniel and Dunkley. Every1 saying English and Daniel done for a month but no news. English keeps going well next 4 weeks he could get bigger offers

Not just baz. English Dale Daniel and Dunkley. Every1 saying English and Daniel done for a month but no news. English keeps going well next 4 weeks he could get bigger offers

If English is only going to dominate against crap sides like west coast then get smashed vs journey man spuds like Stanley/Blicavs he can go. Kick him out quicker if he only wants to play ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we really talking about Callaghan from GWS (another midfielder…)…

Like really?

Am I the only one concerned about our future midfield?

Other than Baz, who have we currently got that's under 25 and can guarantee to be, let's just say a good solid AFL midfielder?

Over the next 3-5 years no-one else other than the current midfield crop will get any exposure to midfield time.

All going well with Marra and Darcy, in five years time we could have four elite talls in their prime years. With a badly aging midfield. Dunkley the only other one who could still be in his prime years may be out the door.

It's why I wouldn't be against going after someone like Callaghan.

I know we obviously have glaring list needs in the now, but we need to have one eye on the future.

Other than Baz, who have we currently got that's under 25 and can guarantee to be, let's just say a good solid AFL midfielder?

Over the next 3-5 years no-one else other than the current midfield crop will get any exposure to midfield time.

All going well with Marra and Darcy, in five years time we could have four elite talls in their prime years. With a badly aging midfield. Dunkley the only other one who could still be in his prime years may be out the door.

I know we obviously have glaring list needs in the now, but we need to have one eye on the future.
There are drafts between now and then you know

Garcia goes alright too

Last edited:

I'm not really concerned. Midfielders can be ready 2-3 years out from drafting, we're a ways out from needing that. If we focus on getting more mids now they'll just be sitting in the VFL for another 4 years while we continue to suffer with a lack of goal threats and good defenders.

Worst comes to worst I'd rather have Baz, West and Dunkley with some role players around them in five years if it means we can address the problems at the other ends of the ground.

There are drafts between now and then you know
Thanks. I wasn't aware..

Even if we draft midfielders in the next 3 or 4 drafts, they won't be playing midfield in our AFL side.

Will be tough to expect them to come straight in and dominate when they have had no midfield exposure in the AFL side.

Just seems a shame there appears to be a timing issue of when our midfield and key positions stocks will be in prime years.

I’d like to think Dunks, Bont, Macrae still have at least 4-5 good years left.

Macrae is 27, dunks 25 and Bont 26.

West, Garcia, smith the future.

Mids are easy to draft. Not sure we need to trade for a Callaghan right now when we have other glaring needs.

JJ was ripping games apart in 2015/2016. And he was coming into his prime. I don't understand how he could get worse from there. He only changed position due to having no impact from the backline once he started getting a hard tag. Good players get through that, he didn't.

I'm not really concerned. Midfielders can be ready 2-3 years out from drafting, we're a ways out from needing that. If we focus on getting more mids now they'll just be sitting in the VFL for another 4 years while we continue to suffer with a lack of goal threats and good defenders.

Worst comes to worst I'd rather have Baz, West and Dunkley with some role players around them in five years if it means we can address the problems at the other ends of the ground.
Unless we are planning in trading one of our midfielders for something good. So many teams have shite midfields at the moment. You have to keep recruiting for all parts of the team.

JJ was ripping games apart in 2015/2016. And he was coming into his prime. I don't understand how he could get worse from there. He only changed position due to having no impact from the backline once he started getting a hard tag. Good players get through that, he didn't.

I don't understand how Harold Holt goes for a swim one day and then never comes back. What the hell happened? He was the bloody Prime Minister of Australia.

personally, i wouldnt be paying overs for English or Dunks, happy to let them go if they get big offers.

both have limitations, Dunkley speed, kicking, English poor tap ruckman, softish, wont play forward, hard to pair with a second ruck

personally, i wouldnt be paying overs for English or Dunks, happy to let them go if they get big offers.

both have limitations, Dunkley speed, kicking, English poor tap ruckman, softish, wont play forward, hard to pair with a second ruck

Difficulty is both out of contract so we may save $ but what do we get back in terms of trade?

Been out of contract no ideal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back