Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any word on us looking at players other than Lobb?

God I hope so... havent seen anything going around though

Unfortunately not, and it would appear anything we “may” be considering depends on what we get for Dunks. This doubly sucks because Brisbane are being utter campaigners and it will be left late, leaving us basically no time to do our own thing. Absolute shit position to be in, unless we don’t have anything else planned, which is a bit mind boggling with gaps in our list.

15 would have opened up so much. We could have packaged with 11 to move up if we really liked someone. It was clearly their most valuable trading asset outside of a very good player.

Thats ok now it is McCluggage, Berry or Rayner or they Pi... off. Just shows Josh they did not really want you above 2 father son picks. The grass is not always greener on the other side. At the moment they do not even have a coach.

Personally I don’t want him at the club for one year.

Staggering to think he chose Lions knowing what they had on their plate with father son and points.

Dunkley and his entourage now need to make sure we get a deal that we should.

Lions giving away 15 suggests they are not serious about you Josh or you and the Lions are trying to put one over us.

Such an "important" off-season and we look to get rid of a number of senior players, bring in a 32 year old Jones and maybe a 30 year old Lobb.

If that's the extent ... oh dear

Hopefully something else is going on... Geelong are going to have 3 former first rounders and 2 first round picks coming in ...

Hope it's ok to ask here...
Just on Cordy, has he played forward much over the last few years?
Zaine is not the forward you are looking for.

He's a stopper who doesn't really stop his opponent and more often than not will be seen trailing in behind his opponent on the lead. He used to be a pretty handy contested mark, but that went out of his game in recent years. On the positive side he has a weird looking but somewhat effective kick. However, his best attribute by far is that he brings a willingness to hurt his opponents with the Knee of God. For this he will be forever loved by bulldogs everywhere.

From the Brisbane Times:

A source close to the negotiations said the Lions were preparing to offer pick 21 and a future first rounder for Dunkley, however a Brisbane spokesperson told The Age the club was “insistent on not playing the negotiations out in public”.

The Bulldogs are not interested in Rhys Mathieson who is exploring his options but could enquire about emerging players on the Lions’ list.

The hardline stance from the Bulldogs is likely to accelerate the Lions’ thinking as they prioritise getting a deal done for Jack Gunston before turning their attention to Dunkley with six days still remaining before the trade deadline.

From the Brisbane Times:

A source close to the negotiations said the Lions were preparing to offer pick 21 and a future first rounder for Dunkley, however a Brisbane spokesperson told The Age the club was “insistent on not playing the negotiations out in public”.

The Bulldogs are not interested in Rhys Mathieson who is exploring his options but could enquire about emerging players on the Lions’ list.

The hardline stance from the Bulldogs is likely to accelerate the Lions’ thinking as they prioritise getting a deal done for Jack Gunston before turning their attention to Dunkley with six days still remaining before the trade deadline.

They can FRO then. No deal and he walks.

Such an "important" off-season and we look to get rid of a number of senior players, bring in a 32 year old Jones and maybe a 30 year old Lobb.

If that's the extent ... oh dear

Hopefully something else is going on... Geelong are going to have 3 former first rounders and 2 first round picks coming in ...
I don't think trade period is the be all and end all. In 2012 Hawthorn traded in Lake, Anderson (who hadn't played a game for GWS) and Matt Sphanger.

Hardly inspiring given where Sphanger and Lake were in their careers.

Lake was the Norm Smith in 2013 and won the premiership in 2013-2015. Sphanger got his premiership medal in 2014.

I doubt we will have that kind of success, but sometimes you only need a key player or two to go from nearly to winning it clearly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SOS had said on trade radio yesterday that Sam Power is organised. He will identify targets pre trade period and make the deals. He isn't one to make enquiries during the period for players.

Just a little insight. I guess you could argue the Treloar deal goes against this.

From the Brisbane Times:

I have a feeling F1 and 21 was their goal from the start and they've been trying to play hardball with us to the point that we'll be happy to take it

I don't think trade period is the be all and end all. In 2012 Hawthorn traded in Lake, Anderson (who hadn't played a game for GWS) and Matt Sphanger.

Hardly inspiring given where Sphanger and Lake were in their careers.

Lake was the Norm Smith in 2013 and won the premiership in 2013-2015. Sphanger got his premiership medal in 2014.

I doubt we will have that kind of success, but sometimes you only need a key player or two to go from nearly to winning it clearly.
Meh.. the club needs to be honest with itself

Hawthorn were right up there in 2012. We were useless in 2022

He played in the fwd line earlier this year, but did nothing. The best role he played for us was that defensive fwd in 2016, maybe that can reprised as he’s far too slow in defence now.

Zaine will compete as hard as anyone and fly the flag, no issues with effort, but he’s just a very limited footballer and is painfully slow.

He’s a real poor man’s Maynard, effectively. Like you can see the idea in the player he probably should be, but he’s nowhere near athletically gifted enough to make it work.

Last edited:
I agree. My preference is Dunks signs in with us for one more year rather than go to the draft. I hope this is communicated to Dunks. Cannot take unders from Brisbane.
Also need to stick to our own timetable too. Accommodate Lions to some extent but draw a line and stick to it. Brisbane made a commitment it is their problem not ours.
Re-signing for a year qualifying as a RFA would be ok with me.

Yeah this year. Was shocking.

He's a defender.

His best attribute is his aggression at the man in a contest. He's not quick, skills aren't great, not a great mark but he'll hit the contest hard when he gets the chance. We probably have the worst KPD's in the league. Cordy was a big part of that.

Last edited:
I've been trying to stay away and decompress from a disappointing year. But that ridiculous Lions offer has left me needing to vent.

In what world did they think they could swap 2 super low 1st rounders for a middle 2nd rounder, a borderline 2nd/3rd rounder AND a Top 20 midfielder in the game who is just heading into his prime? Just the 2 super low 1st rounders in a straight swap for Dunkley would be unders for us. It was generous of us to ask for that! I mean compare Dunkley's output to Taranto's!

THEN for Brisbane to make no allowances at all for wanting to match a Number 1 bid and a Top 20 bid was incredibly irresponsible. And to ALSO want to trade in Gunston on top of all that?

All while refusing to trade out even a middle-rung player?

Even Adrian Dodoro would think that is unrealistic!

By the way, it's especially unreasonable given they KNOW that we want to turn pick 30 into Lobb. So they wouldn't just rob us if they got their way, but they would also screw over our other trade.

If Dunkley refuses to go to Port, he can either stay for a year or he can go to North. I have absolutely no problems getting zero for him. You simply can't allow yourself to be bent over like that, or it will happen every year, and we'll become the new Suns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back