Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Hunter would’ve fetched a lot more if it weren’t for his behavioural issues to be fair
There was the salary issue too

Why are we lamenting our lack of solid role players all throughout this board but then being OK with losing Williams? I don't quite understand. He is one of very few guys in that tier slotting in and playing his role to a consistently solid level. We need more players doing that in other areas of the ground, not less. He is clearly, unanimously best 22 and would be in our 15 best performed players this season. I'd hate to be replacing him while also trying to add more in that C-B tier.
Agree, but I wouldn't be giving him anything more than a 2 year deal. I'm still filthy we gave Caleb 4 years, he wasn't going anywhere if we offered 3.

The 2023 AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft will be held on Wednesday 31 May. Clubs have until May 30 to open up an available rookie list spot.
Dogs have one spot open

What will be the cut off date for the mid season draft order? The last round before May 31st? Or earlier?

I don't think we will get a shiny new car if we participated. My guess is we will either pass on making a selection at all, or we will just dig into the VFL team.

CD & Macrae would get us token late picks?
I didn't consider those guys (best 22 players) as experienced guys we'd remotely think about putting on the trade block.
CD is contracted until 2026, Macrae is contracted until 2027

SFA - Schache and Hunter were token deals to get them to their destination. Roughy the same.
Melbourne and Hunter also re-negotiated his contract so we didn't have to pay him out / pay any % of it, hence the reason we let him go so cheap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be surprised if we let Williams go. He has shown his ability to take on new roles and gives us flexibility in games.

Came as an inside mid and adapted to the HB because we were stacked with inside Mids and needed a solid Boyd line HB - did really really well.

Then we topped up with HBFs but needed wings and so adapted to that role and has been solid without getting to any heights - lost a lot of weight and increased his tank. This also allows us to drop him back if needed. Most coaches - including Bevo like that flexibility and we don’t actually have much of that.

Despite all the talk about Bevo wanting multi role players - who else does he really use as a multi-role in current team? JJ and Scott - yes but that is not much.

CB is a new experiment and is just starting to show signs it might work rather than a go to play. Lobb is new - replacing Bruce but that is more a standard part of the ruck/forward role.

Naughty does not swing back - English does swing forward like he used to. Keath/Jones/Gardner/TOB don’t swing forward. Dale and Ed or Duryea or Crozier haven’t been rolled forward. Our Mids have not been used effectively as forwards. Trelor had some
Great games as a HBF but is now needed in the guts.

I would absolutely keep him AND give him rotations on the ball. In the contest he could shine but in any event use his flexibility as a strength like the Geelong utilities of a few
Years ago not a weakness.

I reckon our window is still pretty good - team at 2028 looks OK. Clearly some gaps in the midfield but otherwise some locks on each line that will be there on 5 years. Only Bont over 26 and he is 27 and will easily still be playing even if a bit more forward.

Khamis Gardner Raak
Red Busslinger Dale

English Smith García
Bedendo West Williams

Bont JUH Jones
Darcy Naughton Flea

Daniel, Baker, McNeil, SOS

Roarke, VDM, Charlie, Gallagher, Sweet (will be peak)

2023 - two first round drafts and then a couple of other first rounders all likely to be top 22.

I reckon our window is still pretty good - team at 2028 looks OK. Clearly some gaps in the midfield but otherwise some locks on each line that will be there on 5 years. Only Bont over 26 and he is 27 and will easily still be playing even if a bit more forward.

Khamis Gardner Raak
Red Busslinger Dale

English Smith García
Bedendo West Williams

Bont JUH Jones
Darcy Naughton Flea

Daniel, Baker, McNeil, SOS

Roarke, VDM, Charlie, Gallagher, Sweet (will be peak)

2023 - two first round drafts and then a couple of other first rounders all likely to be top 22.

Just quickly, I've highlighted the players that I think may not be on the list in 2028, based upon your line up above. I think you are being incredibly optimistic on some guys who are yet to display any sustained form at senior level, or are potential flight risks (Wiliams the main one here, has been discussed for several years).

Just quickly, I've highlighted the players that I think may not be on the list in 2028, based upon your line up above. I think you are being incredibly optimistic on some guys who are yet to display any sustained form at senior level, or are potential flight risks (Wiliams the main one here, has been discussed for several years).
I think Khamis, Bendendo, Garcia, VDM and Sweet will all be at minimum on an AFL List whether with us or another club.

I think Bendendo will be a special talent once he puts it together.

Khamis, Garcia and VDM should all become serviceable role players.

Sweet will probably be a back up ruckman in the TC mould. Might move around a few clubs. If he could mark a football he’d be first ruck quality.

McNeil is also more likely than not.

A lot to play out with Clarke and Buss, both don’t look fit enough or ready for vfl footy let alone afl. So far to early to know if they will make it.

Also still not sold on arty Jones, his pressure is great though.

Can some please get pass the paywall

Jon Ralph

@RalphyHeraldSun
·
Follow
Breaking. AFL proposes to trade players against their will as part of new pay talks. Player union adamant it won’t fly. Plus the AFL’s call for a mid season trade period. The details with @SamLandsberger here
👇

heraldsun.com.au
Radical AFL push to trade players against their will

The AFL’s superstars would be traded against their will NBA-style under a radical proposal raised by the league as part of its pay talks with the AFL Players’ Association.

And the league has for the first time officially asked the AFLPA to consider a mid-season trade period under the next collective bargaining agreement to help increase player movement across clubs.

The AFL gave its first proposal to the AFLPA three weeks ago as part of negotiations which have both parties a long way apart on the finances and tenure of the new CBA agreement.

The AFLPA is adamant the next CBA should run no longer than four years given the uncertain climate and possibility of a Tasmania licence being granted, whereas the league is pushing for a nine-year contract.

AFLPA boss Paul Marsh on Monday told the Herald Sun the players and the player union were firmly against any proposal to trade players against their will.

“They want to reduce player freedom contracts and take away choice of movement and they want us to fund past player liabilities,” Marsh said.

“They put some conditions around that (trading players) – players would have to be earning a certain amount to be able to be traded without consent.

Dustin Martin was involved in trade speculation last year. Picture: Michael Klein

Dustin Martin was involved in trade speculation last year. Picture: Michael Klein
“But our players just don’t get paid enough to be put in that position.

“I’m taking the p*** here a bit, but I said we’ll consider that if we’re able to trade CEOs without your consent.”

Marsh said “certain coaches” supported the AFL’s proposal to move players without their consent – but the AFLPA’s position was that forcefully relocating players and their families was off limits.

Asked about the possibility of playing more Thursday night football, which the AFLPA has approved, Marsh said: “You do have to weigh it up too with the health and safety piece. The game’s never been quicker. I think we often think that professional athletes aren’t humans.

“Like some of the stuff that gets put in front of you in these discussions is just … oh my god. We’ll just trade them without their consent, we’ll push them over to another part of the country – that sort of stuff really shits me.

“Because they are humans and we deal with all the stuff on the back end of the players’ career after they’ve been treated poorly.

“Let’s not run these young athletes into the ground because everyone wants to sit on the couch on a Thursday night. But in saying that there’s enough opportunities here to do that.”

Marsh said when that landed in the AFL’s first proposal he knew it was “going to be a tough negotiation”.

Should AFL clubs be able to trade players against their will?​

Yes
No

“The gap between our proposals is really significant,” he said.

“The AFL proposal’s structurally worse for AFL players than the current deal, and it doesn’t meaningfully progress the AFLW vision.

“They want to cut back on men’s leave, they want to be able to trade players without their consent … the AFL proposal falls way short of our vision, but also it’s own vision and entrenches inequality.

“They want to grow the women’s pay at the same percentage rate as the men’s pay and if you follow that through they’ll never bridge the gap.

“There’s no intent to bridge the gap.

“There’s a number of workplace condition issues, there’s some footy issues, there’s some commercial issues as well.

“The financial model they put to us is actually a diminished revenue share model in its structure and doesn’t include the AFLW players in it.

“So they’re talking about a joint CBA that isn’t really because they’re saying the men can have this revenue share deal and we’ll just pay the women this.”

Marsh confirmed the AFL’s proposal also included a mid-season trade period, which the AFLPA was open to.

“There’s some benefits to a mid-season trade. Players who are not getting a game may get a game somewhere else,” Marsh said.

AFLPA CEO Paul Marsh. Picture: AAP Images

AFLPA CEO Paul Marsh. Picture: AAP Images
“There are some negatives, too. Competitive balance means it might actually be a poor thing for a club.

“It may be terrible for the second half of every season as clubs who are no longer contending start to push out talent.”

The AFL’s general manager of finance, clubs and broadcast Travis Auld has taken the lead for the league on negotiations so far.

The AFLPA wrote to the AFL two days after the seven-year $4.5 billion broadcast deal – which runs from 2025-2031 – was signed last September.

Marsh said the AFL responded just before Christmas, about three and a half months later, and then the AFLPA tabled its first proposal five weeks after that.

That early February proposal was met with the AFL’s counter offer three weeks ago.

More Coverage​

5704fd10b45e0a672208ebf87ed57de6
Jack’s ‘alter ego’: Imperfect Pie’s 365-day ride to find balance
31bc952c110346ddd47854e9ef4716ac
The Tackle: Why Chris Scott hijacked his own press conference
The AFLPA is adamant men’s salaries can’t go backwards to subsidise AFLW wages and wants a 32 per cent revenue share model, where players are paid 32 per cent of the game’s revenue.

That would see men’s players pocket 30.5 per cent of the pie under an 85-15 per cent split between men and women.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back