Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said at the time Lobb was a strange recruitment at 30 and a 4 year contract with our developing talls and Sweet as a back up. Why did we need a soft tall who had always displayed spasmodic form. Yeah, we needed him about 3 years to 4 years when we second rucking Dunkley but not now with Darcy, JOD and Jordan Croft next season.

We need a second ruckman. Darcy nowhere near ready. If we’d just play him In his natural position, FF and ruck, we probably wouldn’t be having this conversation I don’t reckon.

Seems fair. With that pick 1 we could cross our fingers and hope that whichever player we select is as good as either Naughton or English (although odds are that they wouldn't be).

And Darcy, being a lessor player than English now and probably moving forward, is just a sweet cherry on top.

So Port get pick 22 for a kid whos done his ACL and was dropped multiple times and we are essentially trading Naughton and 13 for pick 1 and swaping English who is that far ahead as AA ruck this year for Darcy right

Why are we sending English & Naughton & pick 13? Like seriously…. Bending over and losing every part of that trade.

I think we need to be chips in on this draft and package up our 2 first rounders to get into the top 5. Looking at sheezel and wardlaw and then our own drafting history of macrae and bont we need to be at the top of the draft to get the midfielder we need. The brissie 2nd rounder may also be null and void due to the croft bid so let's move up and get the 2nd best mid behind reid

From what I’ve seen at VFL Level JOD looks like a much better prospect than Buss. I’d be playing him now as the 3rd tall defender instead of his currently undefined role.

Aside from Darcy and JUH he looks like the most talented player we have recruited the last couple of seasons.

Buss on the hand looks like a smart footballer with good ball use but needs to improve his on 1v1 work and influence contest aerially more. Think he’d get a score kicked on him at afl level if he plays much now and even into next season.

I guess I have discounted JOD in my thinking. He has been solid and only a few games into his career.

Best 18:
FB: JJ Jones JOD
HB: Dale Naughton Richards
C: Williams Smith Scott
HF: JUH Bont Macrae
FF: Jones Lobb Weightman
R: English Libba Treloar

This would be my best 18 and the bench isn’t great.

I hope we bring in Darcy, Bedendo, Clarke, Busslinger and Gallagher into this side. I would play West in the midfield for a few weeks in the VFL and if he goes well, give him a shot there at AFL level. We aren’t going a long way this year, let’s develop a strong team for next year. Get games into the future team that can go all the way.

I guess I have discounted JOD in my thinking. He has been solid and only a few games into his career.

Best 18:
FB: JJ Jones JOD
HB: Dale Naughton Richards
C: Williams Smith Scott
HF: JUH Bont Macrae
FF: Jones Lobb Weightman
R: English Libba Treloar

This would be my best 18 and the bench isn’t great.

I hope we bring in Darcy, Bedendo, Clarke, Busslinger and Gallagher into this side. I would play West in the midfield for a few weeks in the VFL and if he goes well, give him a shot there at AFL level. We aren’t going a long way this year, let’s develop a strong team for next year. Get games into the future team that can go all the way.
I'm excited to see bedendo run around. If he can lockdown a wing he might be tall enough that bevo gives up with lobb on the wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have pick 1 to pick up a player like English or Naughton, this is nuts.

Especially with how hard elite ruckman are to find - Timmy in AA form. We would have to get pick 1 for English. If we were to trade him. None of this us also giving up a first rounder etc. No way.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I would ask for MORE than just pick 1 for either English OR Naughton.

Minimum extra would be their Future first for our Future second. Both are elite players at premium positions who have been developed into senior AFL footballers.

I know the counter argument is that they could leave via RFA, well we match and you can trade for them then…. Mediation would need to be involved but elite KPP & Rucks are who you want picks to turn into and are more valuable than picks, even pick 1.

I would ask for MORE than just pick 1 for either English OR Naughton.

Minimum extra would be their Future first for our Future second. Both are elite players at premium positions who have been developed into senior AFL footballers.

I know the counter argument is that they could leave via RFA, well we match and you can trade for them then…. Mediation would need to be involved but elite KPP & Rucks are who you want picks to turn into and are more valuable than picks, even pick 1.
Exactly and even this year with Reid you're still swapping a tall who we have put games and time into developing into an AA ruckman for an 18 year old that speculatively COULD be a top line player that we once again have to develop. Not a smart move for a team that sees itself as in the premiership window.

From what I’ve seen at VFL Level JOD looks like a much better prospect than Buss. I’d be playing him now as the 3rd tall defender instead of his currently undefined role.

Aside from Darcy and JUH he looks like the most talented player we have recruited the last couple of seasons.

Buss on the hand looks like a smart footballer with good ball use but needs to improve his on 1v1 work and influence contest aerially more. Think he’d get a score kicked on him at afl level if he plays much now and even into next season.

The issue we are encountering a lot, is poor kicking by our defenders like OBrien and Gardner; that is leading to goals from their turnovers.

It’s why I want Busslinger in the team sooner, he may give up a bag occasionally but he also won’t turn the ball over as often. It will provide more confidence to his team mates that he can hit the target and allow them to spread out more to provide options when he has the ball. I want Buss to play the 3rd defender intercept role to start with and hope his marking and 1v1 performance improves.

The issue we are encountering a lot, is poor kicking by our defenders like OBrien and Gardner; that is leading to goals from their turnovers.

It’s why I want Busslinger in the team sooner, he may give up a bag occasionally but he also won’t turn the ball over as often. It will provide more confidence to his team mates that he can hit the target and allow them to spread out more to provide options when he has the ball. I want Buss to play the 3rd defender intercept role to start with and hope his marking and 1v1 performance improves.

Buss’s biggest strengths, besides his intercept marking, are his smart distribution and composure. Exactly what we need. Hope he sees some time in th seniors, though might be best against a team without multiple big gorilla forwards.

Last night on SEN Tim Tossage was on a roll and said Tim would be at the Eagles, but I think that’s just his schtick.

Speaking of SEN, what kind of amateur hour are they running after the footy game & wrap up.
Driving home on Saturday night they said they’d go to callers, texts, etc. I expected angry and disappointed Dogs supporters to flood in for me to agree with. What we got was bizarre, first of all dead air then Learn to Fly and I Gotta Feeling, then a couple of ditherers, one on about Port. The next about the soccer final and the Swans. Then dead air, then Learn to Fly and I Gotta Feeling again !!
Seems they only have two songs. This was over maybe 15 mins.

Luckily I arrived home and the torture ended, so I could get back to wallowing in my misery of another costly loss.

Wasn’t keen on rushing him in this year (thought 2024 was more likely for a debut) due to his inability to man an opponent, but at this stage I think we’d be a better team with O’Brien out and Buss in.

I think Gardner is more likely to be pushed out by Bruce once he’s back to 100%.

I'd be happy to have Darcy back down there and then once his body is fully developed he can go forward if we need

Last night on SEN Tim Tossage was on a roll and said Tim would be at the Eagles, but I think that’s just his schtick.

Speaking of SEN, what kind of amateur hour are they running after the footy game & wrap up.
Driving home on Saturday night they said they’d go to callers, texts, etc. I expected angry and disappointed Dogs supporters to flood in for me to agree with. What we got was bizarre, first of all dead air then Learn to Fly and I Gotta Feeling, then a couple of ditherers, one on about Port. The next about the soccer final and the Swans. Then dead air, then Learn to Fly and I Gotta Feeling again !!
Seems they only have two songs. This was over maybe 15 mins.

Luckily I arrived home and the torture ended, so I could get back to wallowing in my misery of another costly loss.
Dogs fans just don’t call SEN simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back