Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been big on Naughton going back but believes we are robbing Peter to pay Paul. Naughton is deceptively quick and provides a heap of pressure down forward. He would be the 3rd/4th tall next year but can play like a small. JUH has also shown enough with his willingness to chase and will only be better. Bruce will chase and bash and crash but another year in and suspect he’ll slow a bit more. He would still provide more pressure that Lobb or Darcy for that matter. I’m thinking Darcy maybe the one back and hope he can become 75/80% as agile as DeKoning at the Cats.
Jones at FB , Gardner on 2nd tall as both have closing speed. Keath 3rd tall and intercepting. Prior to injury this year he showed plenty of dash for a tall. He could be a taller Lever type. Question is, do we need a 4th tall in Darcy who might take a bit to have the agility and playing 4 loses a bit of run from defence. Nice spot to be in if all fit.
I think Naughts need to stay forward, the last few years would have been a waste for him, and he finish high in the coleman, so can kick goals.

I feel JUH goes in and out mentally when being defensive, he isnt defensive minded 100% of the time just yet, and something that he needs to work on over the summer.

Jon Ralph doesn't get it.

Threats of walking players to the PSD to get a better trade only work if... you are genuine in threatening to walk players to the PSD. If we cave, it'll set the tone for future negotiations.

Has Jon Ralph never bought a car, or a souvenir from an overseas street vendor in his life? He's probably the bloke that loudly declares that he's gonna buy a souvenir in earshot of the vendor before doing the most half-hearted walk away that doesn't convince anyone.

I’ve been big on Naughton going back but believes we are robbing Peter to pay Paul. Naughton is deceptively quick and provides a heap of pressure down forward. He would be the 3rd/4th tall next year but can play like a small. JUH has also shown enough with his willingness to chase and will only be better. Bruce will chase and bash and crash but another year in and suspect he’ll slow a bit more. He would still provide more pressure that Lobb or Darcy for that matter. I’m thinking Darcy maybe the one back and hope he can become 75/80% as agile as DeKoning at the Cats.
Jones at FB , Gardner on 2nd tall as both have closing speed. Keath 3rd tall and intercepting. Prior to injury this year he showed plenty of dash for a tall. He could be a taller Lever type. Question is, do we need a 4th tall in Darcy who might take a bit to have the agility and playing 4 loses a bit of run from defence. Nice spot to be in if all fit.
Yeah I’m the same,

Round 1 I have Naughton, Marra & Lobb (providing we get him) forward and Jones with two of Gardner, Darcy, Keath back depending on preseason form and fitness. I’m more than happy with Darcy back for the next few years I think he’ll be a gun there.

If i was to add a 4th tall in defence it would be Buku though IMO. Think he has that nice flexibility to play the role well without making us too slow.

No intention at all to push Naughty back unless Marra & Lobb are firing and Bruce seems to recapture his form completely, which is unlikely imo, but that would be the only situation I’d consider it. First option for mine if Bruce finds his mobility would be try him back before moving Naughty back too

Also any1 else think Brisbane Future 1st could be a little better than what we expect.

I give the following teams a chance of finishing above them. If they get knocked out 1st week of finals would be real nice
Cats
Swans
Dees
Dogs
Tigers
Blues
Power
It will be a monumental failure is Brisbane don't finish top 4. The pressure is on them now, they've topped up for a flag.

Also - we win a premiership and brisbane don’t next year, we benefit in a big way.

Much rather play Brisbane in a final without Dunkley than with Dunkley.

Ralphy is a dumbass who is too tunnel visioned to see this. There is more to this potential trade than a transaction. It could be a difference in premierships between the two sides.

100 first round picks don’t buy premierships.

"By all means threaten to send a player to the pre-season draft for a better deal. But doing it? No way."

This is just ridiculous. What exactly is the point in making a threat about the PSD if the end result was always going to be that we were never actually serious in doing it? Purely for the Herald Sun headlines that Ralph so desperately craves?

A journo trying to be commercial and doing negotiations… says it all.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

By Jon Ralph's logic, because we paid unders for Jamarra and Darcy we should be happy with a less beneficial trade

Unlike Brisbane, who won't pay unders for Ashcroft and Fletcher, obviously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo being favourite for O'Meara is good news for us. They'll need our pick 30 for Lobb.

We don't need to budge an inch, keeping Lobb for 1 year or getting JOM for a few should be an easy call for them

They will want pick 30 and a future second round pick. Future second to go to GC for Sharp.

I would offer pick 39, future second for
Lobb and a future third

It allows them to get their trades done, without effecting our draft hand too much.

Imagine Ralphy at his annual performance review…

Ralphy… “Hey managing editor I want a pay rise. And if I don’t get it I’m quitting.”

Managing editor… “great proposal Jon thank you. No pay rise tho.”

Ralphy… “okay I won’t quit then. See you tomorrow.”

🤦‍♀️

Freo being favourite for O'Meara is good news for us. They'll need our pick 30 for Lobb.

We don't need to budge an inch, keeping Lobb for 1 year or getting JOM for a few should be an easy call for them
GC also want their future 2nd for Sharp which they cannot trade without a future 2nd coming in .. we could help there instead as well.

They're pushing for far too much

Imagine Ralphy at his annual performance review…

Ralphy… “Hey managing editor I want a pay rise. And if I don’t get it I’m quitting.”

Managing editor… “great proposal Jon thank you. No pay rise tho.”

Ralphy… “okay I won’t quit then. See you tomorrow.”

🤦‍♀️

Hey Jon we have actually decided to pay you less

Jon: Look its still something so I accept

Anyone who has played poker knows that you occasionally have to follow through on your bluffs. If you give up on your bluffs after the first call, every time, then your opponents learn to exploit it. Every now and then you need to push all of your chips into the middle with a garbage hand to stop yourself from being predictable and so that your opponents know that you're capable of doing so. Even if you lose that particular hand, the ROI is positive in the long run because it makes you harder to play against.

I don’t follow Brisbane closely at all so could well be wrong. Who in the Lions midfield do we currently fear. For me it’s only Neale. Ok Ashcroft could be outstanding in his first year but that’s it. I would back the Bont, Macrae, Smith , Libba and Treloar to handle them .
Why give them a leg up with Dunkley for unders? Give them nothing.

Ralph’s an idiot.

Just because we got f/s, academy selections and Treloar means we should take less??

Maybe then Geelong should hand back pick 7 because they have done well with free agents.

The bloke is a clown.
So by that logic Geelong will be giving Collingwood pick 7 for Henry and letting Esava go for a future 4th because they have had a great run of it in the past?

I don’t follow Brisbane closely at all so could well be wrong. Who in the Lions midfield do we currently fear. For me it’s only Neale. Ok Ashcroft could be outstanding in his first year but that’s it. I would back the Bont, Macrae, Smith , Libba and Treloar to handle them .
Why give them a leg up with Dunkley for unders? Give them nothing.
As it stands they are solid without being great across all lines (backs, midfield, forward). Getting Dunkley and Ashcroft into the midfield still doesn't elevate them into an A grade midfield, yet. McCluggage taking a leap and one of Raynor/Bailey being more consistent would do that.

Anyone who has played poker knows that you occasionally have to follow through on your bluffs. If you give up on your bluffs after the first call, every time, then your opponents learn to exploit it. Every now and then you need to push all of your chips into the middle with a garbage hand to stop yourself from being predictable and so that your opponents know that you're capable of doing so. Even if you lose that particular hand, the ROI is positive in the long run because it makes you harder to play against.
Imagine staring into the cold, dead eyes of Sam Power across a poker table. Reckon I'd cash my chipsi in and walk away at the earliest possible chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back