Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

marketing :))

giphy.gif

If we are worried about losing a raft of players for 2nds and 3rds, we'd probably be best trading them for future picks next year for all our father-sons.

Helps us get 2nds instead of 3rds.

Helps us with all the points we'll need.

And frees us up to trade next year's 1st into this year, as we'd likely lose it to father-son bids

(If our father-sons are tracking well at the end of the season)
Great point.

Yeh, can see us trading our 2025 1st rounder into this year and trading later picks from 2024 into next year for points.

Our biggest issue this off season is we currently have:

Our Second Rounder
Gold Coasts Third Rounder

That’s it a second rounder and a third rounder nothing else. Puts us in a difficult position to address our needs in an off season and leaving yourself those assets only is the sign of a team competing not a team in evolution

Supposedly, Sam Draper got on a podcast and openly explained that if the Dogs don’t move on Bevo we’ll have players requesting a trade out.

Whilst I believe the sentiment is real no chance an oppo player says that publicly, anyone know what podcast his on???

Supposedly, Sam Draper got on a podcast and openly explained that if the Dogs don’t move on Bevo we’ll have players requesting a trade out.

Whilst I believe the sentiment is real no chance an oppo player says that publicly, anyone know what podcast his on???
200+ Club with Charlie Comben
Its really funny podcast, they take the piss a lot

It was the same information that a poster put here a few weeks back

200+ Club with Charlie Comben
Its really funny podcast, they take the piss a lot

It was the same information that a poster put here a few weeks back
I know enough about how AFL clubs are run to know that if that is being spoken publicly amongst playing groups then things are worse than we know.

Buckle up buckaroos, interesting times ahead

Jesus that’s grim if true. Last podcast is 24/4/24 - is it from that one?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not really sure this line of thinking is agreed upon by the majority of people that work at AFL clubs, or those that have handed out contracts to rucks consistently from different perpectives over the last few years.

I agree in the most literal sense that by virtue of the rules of the game leading to 80 stoppages per game or whatever that it's helpful to have someone tall to contest the ruck contest. But the value-add of being good at that and being below-average on that, on the proviso that that player is already 2+ metres tall, is overstated. The game is fundamentally different to when Gary Dempsey was running around. This is proven by the fact that the terminology of centreman, ruck-rover, rover etc. is different to what it is today and is no longer used. It makes no sense to make the distinction between roving and ruck-roving or whatever.

I would also argue that a skillful ruck, one good below their knees, or being a great user of the football, provided they meet the minimum standars of being tall and reasonably physical enough in the ruck that their opposition isn't getting 20 hitouts to advantage a game or whatever (which English meets, given that he's 30th of 46 players who consistently attended centre bounces last year in hitout win rate), is important. Outside of the stoppage, they are one of the 18 players out on the field, and can contribute to driving the ball forward, winning possession, like any other player can. I think it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. We can see visually e.g. how English pushed forward harder than Darcy to get inside 50 and convert three kicks inside 50 to three uncontested marks/marks on lead and three shots at goal. It was English's possession-winning ability by covering the ground that directly converted a inside 50 to a shot on goal, something that we obviously would want from every inside 50 but does not always happen.
Sure, the skill sets of Tim are that he's good below his knees and quite athletic. However with salary cap pressure can a "competitive" ruckman be nearly as valuable for a pittance of the financial burden?
Tim is a good player, soft but good. He's not a million dollar per year player though.
This is the position where Moneyball strategy is most obvious. Rhys Stanley is pretty average, but has been a mainstay of a good Geelong team for years. On low coin.
Big O at Brisbane, Darcy Cameron, Ivan Soldo, Nank, Witt's. None of them would command what Tim is reported to be getting offered.
I think we could get a handy ruck for a third of Tim's price.

May as well move him on now if it’s so common knowledge that other players are laughing about it on podcasts.

Already been said here that other teams managers/players knew.
If it really is true, it baffles me that he’s still coaching. As soon as segments of the playing group are lost by the coach (even if a large amount still are fine with him), then it’s a deathwish and it’s already over.

This 2024 season feels like a last ditch desperate attempt by the club & Bevo to reignite some magic but it’s failing dismally.

From the 24 minute mark of episode 60 (April 16 ep).

Draper mentions it specifically at ~26.30.

Episode 60 around the 27 minute mark.

They talk about are the dogs cooked, this is post Essendon game and then Draper says he has a big call on this, “if Bevo’s still there, there will be some players requesting trades”

They asked if it’s just disgruntled players or bridges burnt, seemed to suggest bridges burnt.

They asked if it was inside word or Drapers Magic ball and he said can’t reveal with a laugh.

Names then get thrown around Macrae, Dale, Daniel so obvious ones.

Last edited:
I’d be more pissed about our club and the position we are in than a player from another club commenting on it.

It’s not the other club or their players fault we are a bit of a joke in the competition atm. Blind Freddy could see we needed change at the end of last year. Ran a comical review and then due to media pressure paid an external to come in and tick off our review and planned steps. The key word there PAID.

We need to get our internal stuff sorted and have some heads role.

Our issue is going to be at the end of this year we need some players of value to leave to get assets to fix our deficiencies, a second and third rounder won’t fix much and that’s all we have without reaching into next years picks

I doubt we get an early second rounder for Macrae. Daniel is unlikely to get even a third rounder….

We overvalue our own players and these two really need new opportunities elsewhere.

I come in peace, and honestly don't mean to sound like a vulture, but...

Isn't Daniel on $750K+ for the last 2 years of his contract?

Could be an opportunity for the Bulldogs to offload that entire contract if there's a need to free up cap space in the coming years, but if that's the case it's sounding ominously similar to the Jack Bowes deal...(albeit Bowes doesn't come with the same Pedigree as Daniel... and Bulldogs aren't morons like GC)

Similar age, Same $$ & years left on contract, both playing local leagues.... GC gave Geelong Pick 7 to offload that whole contract.... now i'm not saying the same thing would happen, but if Crows were covering that entire contract, for a player not getting a game in the seniors, and he elects the Crows, and Bulldogs need the cap space...

The longer Daniel stays in the VFL the worse the trade outcome I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back