Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Great post, I'd give it 99/100.

Incidentally Barbara Feldon turned 91 earlier this year. 99 will turn 99 in 2032. Same year Naughton's contract ends, and also coincides with the 5th of our 5-peat to break Pies' record...

Would you believe second of our back-to-back...?

What about a three point win over the Gold Coast in a practice match?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was Artie Jones I'd be having a think.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not just AJ. Clarke and McNeil are two other realistic options we have as small forward depth with Cody out.

Rypstra seems like a small that excels in applying pressure but struggles to hit the score board - which is basically AJ and McNeil.

Picking Rypstra may be insignificant come the end of the season but I do read it as us being uncertain about the current state of our depth in that position. Not that it’s us putting a line through anyone necessarily. Definitely seems like us picking for need.

Bit damning on Spicer too, he has had a lot of exposure in that position for Footscray. Would have been very easy to take him just for the sake of continuing to pick Footscray players - glad we didn’t hold our drafting to that.

Last edited:
Clarke and McNeil have been tried this season. Artie hasn't even had that. He looks miles off.

And a 173 cm clear challenger is brought in?

Well, not all four are going to be persisted with. Who's first to go?

McNeil first, then Jones. Then there is daylight, then Clarke.

Clarke and McNeil have been tried this season. Artie hasn't even had that. He looks miles off.

Arty still has a year to go. McNeil and Clarke contracts are up end of season. I think Clarke is going to be persisted with.

McNeil the obvious candidate, AJ very lucky he's contracted for another year.

Clarke has shown the ability (At VFL level) to hit the scoreboard and influence the game more than those two, seems a much more natural footy talent, although his work rate defensively is comparatively lacking. Being a first rounder in his 2nd year it would seem unlikely we give up on him unless there's considerable concerns.

Clarke has shown the ability (At VFL level) to hit the scoreboard and influence the game more than those two, seems a much more natural footy talent, although his work rate defensively is comparatively lacking. Being a first rounder in his 2nd year it would seem unlikely we give up on him unless there's considerable concerns.
I reckon we’d be open to trading AJ back to WA (or any club that wanted him if any) for free just to free up the list spot and probably better for his career prospects too.

I agree, all signs are this is McNeil's last year although likely back in the team this week.
Jones gets one more year only saved by being contacted and unless for a huge leap in form over the next 12 months can't be considered in future plans.
Clarke as you say has shown ability in patches at VFL but needs to start demanding AFL games, likely only a one year extension.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back