Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade future 2025 R1 pick for a 2024 R1 - get us back in the first round.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah people saying we need to trade smith to get into the first round to get a mid. May be out of our control, but surely we would rather just sign Smith as that midfielder. Most prepared midfielder recruit we can get, and he is already on the list.

The players I compared Sanders to pre-draft were Jack Macrae, Tom Mitchell and Brad Crouch. All good players that have seen their impact lessen somewhat in recent years with the increased premium on pace.

He’ll be a good player, but it won’t be until he’s a full-time inside mid and his stoppage work can offset his lack of pace.
Perhaps it’s the blonde hair, but I’m seeing a very young Matty Boyd after he was rookied and finding his way. Not a spectacular player but a very good one in the end.

Young defender Jedd Busslinger has signed a two-year contract extension, keeping him in red, white and blue until at least the end of 2026.

The Western Australian was selected at Pick 13 in the 2022 National Draft and has played an important role in Footscray’s defensive half this season.

Over the past month, Busslinger has averaged 24 touches and nine marks per game, kicking his first goal in Bulldogs’ colours last weekend.

“The Bulldogs has been a great place to me ever since I walked in the door and I couldn’t be happier to be staying around,” Busslinger said.

“I’m absolutely loving my time here with all the boys and all the coaching staff.

“While I haven’t played a game of AFL yet, I am really confident in myself moving forward.
“I want to be absolutely ready when the opportunity comes and to hold my own at AFL level.”

Western Bulldogs’ General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power was pleased to secure the signature of Busslinger.

“We’re really pleased that Jedd is remaining at Mission Whitten Oval,” Power said.

“Jedd’s shown strong growth over the past 12 months, demonstrating his ability to intercept the ball and distribute well across the back half.

“Jedd has developed a willingness to work extremely hard on his game, particularly his defensive craft alongside our senior players and coaches.

“From the moment he walked in the door, Jedd has been willing to take feedback onboard in order to improve and is driven to become a consistent AFL footballer.

“As a Club, we’re excited to see Jedd continue to develop as a key defender into the future.”

How the hell did we lose Dunkley? You just
can’t lose players like him, absolute disaster.
I think we've all come to accept baz is leaving, me included, but none of us are asking why? We lost dunkley who is a star, why is he leaving? Does anyone know? Very disappointing

Dunkley wasn't happy that a young Bailey Smith had pushed him out of our midfield rotation in 2020. It did not sit well with Dunks that not only was Smith in just his 2nd year but that he was the opposite of professional at the time (in the bubble).

The funny thing is Smith's midfield time has only gone down every year since then and now he wants out. Smith attended 78 less centre bounces last year compared to 2020. If you're wondering where those 78 centre bounces went the answer is Caleb Daniel. CD attended 117 centre bounces last year, almost the same amount as Smith did.

And this year CD has attended just 1 centre bounce as Gallagher has attended 62 (more than Macrae or Garcia).

The real reason that Garcia was dropped is because he didn't do his required reading of Das Kapital and was instead caught reading Ayn Rand.
One of the 20th century's greatest hypocrites. Delist

Last edited:
Games changed a bit since then.

These days you draft for pace - GWS showed how that can work on Sat night.
In fairness, Carlton have a hell of a 1-2 punch (Cripps and Walsh) that have workrate and smarts moreso than pure pace.
There's more than one path to success.

In fairness, Carlton have a hell of a 1-2 punch (Cripps and Walsh) that have workrate and smarts moreso than pure pace.
There's more than one path to success.

They do, but they are vulnerable to teams who move the ball quickly.

Their midfield is full of big slow guys.

The Giants and Swans have exposed them this year.

Need a big strong presence like Briggs and TDK. Hopefully that bloke we drafted is that
I’ve seen some photos and he looks like a monster. Has anyone seen him play and can confirm?

He reminds me of Goose from Top Gun (even with the stupid moustache), but taller and musclier.

Wait, wait, you’all told me he was a certainty to go home to WA!

Chris Jericho What GIF by CBC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve seen some photos and he looks like a monster. Has anyone seen him play and can confirm?

He reminds me of Goose from Top Gun (even with the stupid moustache), but taller and musclier.

He’s very impressive. Not the tallest for a ruck, but he can already impose himself physically.

Young defender Jedd Busslinger has signed a two-year contract extension, keeping him in red, white and blue until at least the end of 2026.

The Western Australian was selected at Pick 13 in the 2022 National Draft and has played an important role in Footscray’s defensive half this season.

Over the past month, Busslinger has averaged 24 touches and nine marks per game, kicking his first goal in Bulldogs’ colours last weekend.

“The Bulldogs has been a great place to me ever since I walked in the door and I couldn’t be happier to be staying around,” Busslinger said.

“I’m absolutely loving my time here with all the boys and all the coaching staff.

“While I haven’t played a game of AFL yet, I am really confident in myself moving forward.
“I want to be absolutely ready when the opportunity comes and to hold my own at AFL level.”

Western Bulldogs’ General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power was pleased to secure the signature of Busslinger.

“We’re really pleased that Jedd is remaining at Mission Whitten Oval,” Power said.

“Jedd’s shown strong growth over the past 12 months, demonstrating his ability to intercept the ball and distribute well across the back half.

“Jedd has developed a willingness to work extremely hard on his game, particularly his defensive craft alongside our senior players and coaches.

“From the moment he walked in the door, Jedd has been willing to take feedback onboard in order to improve and is driven to become a consistent AFL footballer.

“As a Club, we’re excited to see Jedd continue to develop as a key defender into the future.”
Dogs signing Busslinger means they have not lost a WA player to homesickness since Hamling who had to return to a sick father. There's 6 on the list.

Inside trading Article

EXTENSION LOOMS FOR STAR DOG

ADAM Treloar still has a season to run on a five-year deal since joining the Western Bulldogs, but the club will move to reward the in-form star with an extension in the coming months.

Treloar has played 74 games since being traded from Collingwood at the end of 2020, amid a messy exit from the Magpies, and has produced a career-best season to date in 2024, putting him in All-Australian contention and positioned as Marcus Bontempelli's biggest challenger in the Charles Sutton Medal.

The Bulldogs have held an early discussion on a one-year extension for 2026 and will look to finalise that over the off-season ahead of round one. This time last year, Treloar was regularly linked to a move to a Queensland club to join his partner and daughter in Brisbane, before his manager, Tim Hazell from Vivid Sport, emphatically denied those links on Gettable.
Now his partner, netball star Kim Ravaillion, is moving back to Melbourne after informing the Queensland Firebirds last month that she was retiring. That decision was formally announced on Tuesday, following a decorated career in Super Netball and for the Diamonds.

Treloar was included in the All-Australian squad three times across his five seasons at the Magpies, but never made the final team. This year the 31-year-old has reached new heights.

No one has touched the ball more in 2024 than Treloar, who is averaging 31.9 disposals after round 17 to be ranked equal 16th with Jordan Dawson and Luke Davies-Uniacke in the AFL Coaches Association Player of the Year award on 48 votes and, having been linked to a move with a fourth club, he is now destined to sign a second contract at the Whitten Oval. – Josh Gabelich

Gee some of the posts here are bizarre.

Garcia has been a fringe player for most of his career and he's moved itno the age category where we shouldn't expect improvement simply through experience. At first glance the couple of games he played before he got dropped did appear to be reasonably good, though not outstanding to the point that you should question why a player who has been in and out of the team across several years ... remains in and out of the team. It's not some conspiracy, it's not some punishment.

Garcia remains a limited player in some aspects in terms of versatility and role that he can play, which is more critical for fringe players even if they do play an odd good game more frequently than another fringe player who is more versatile. He's not a small forward and he's not a winger. He's had to play those positions in pinches, but in comparison to a player like Anthony Scott, who I'm not claiming is a better player, but has provably demonstrated he's played to a certain level across different versatile positions in a consistent basis over his career.

Even with Tim English's worse form this year, his on-field performances still places him in the top 10 rucks on the field in the season. I don't see how we become a better team recruiting a player who has never played well at AFL level for a consistent period + 300k salary cap room, even if we were able to use that salary cap room perfectly, which is no guarantee. There'd either be a million posts about whatever other ruck we had, or simply, people would just not realise the difference in value play styles produce - a different ruck may avoid an ugly-looking physical contest loss, but would not have the running capacity to get to contests, or help his team's clearance differential, or get the occasional hitout to advantage, which English does but doesn't get valued (hence him still being a top-10 ruck). Half the league's teams are in a constant cycle of having an existential crisis for who should be the first ruck, the fact that we have a guaranteed one shoudn't be considered worthless.

Last edited:
Inside trading Article

EXTENSION LOOMS FOR STAR DOG

ADAM Treloar still has a season to run on a five-year deal since joining the Western Bulldogs, but the club will move to reward the in-form star with an extension in the coming months.

Treloar has played 74 games since being traded from Collingwood at the end of 2020, amid a messy exit from the Magpies, and has produced a career-best season to date in 2024, putting him in All-Australian contention and positioned as Marcus Bontempelli's biggest challenger in the Charles Sutton Medal.

The Bulldogs have held an early discussion on a one-year extension for 2026 and will look to finalise that over the off-season ahead of round one. This time last year, Treloar was regularly linked to a move to a Queensland club to join his partner and daughter in Brisbane, before his manager, Tim Hazell from Vivid Sport, emphatically denied those links on Gettable.
Now his partner, netball star Kim Ravaillion, is moving back to Melbourne after informing the Queensland Firebirds last month that she was retiring. That decision was formally announced on Tuesday, following a decorated career in Super Netball and for the Diamonds.

Treloar was included in the All-Australian squad three times across his five seasons at the Magpies, but never made the final team. This year the 31-year-old has reached new heights.

No one has touched the ball more in 2024 than Treloar, who is averaging 31.9 disposals after round 17 to be ranked equal 16th with Jordan Dawson and Luke Davies-Uniacke in the AFL Coaches Association Player of the Year award on 48 votes and, having been linked to a move with a fourth club, he is now destined to sign a second contract at the Whitten Oval. – Josh Gabelich
I hope we contacted Collingwood and asked if they want to keep kicking in, just for shigs.

Gee some of the posts here are bizarre.

Garcia has been a fringe player for most of his career and he's moved itno the age category where we shouldn't expect improvement simply through experience. At first glance the couple of games he played before he got dropped did appear to be reasonably good, though not outstanding to the point that you should question why a player who has been in and out of the team across several years ... remains in and out of the team. It's not some conspiracy, it's not some punishment.

Garcia remains a limited player in some aspects in terms of versatility and role that he can play, which is more critical for fringe players even if they do play an odd good game more frequently than another fringe player who is more versatile. He's not a small forward and he's not a winger. He's had to play those positions in pinches, but in comparison to a player like Anthony Scott, who I'm not claiming is a better player, but has provably demonstrated he's played to a certain level across different versatile positions in a consistent basis over his career.

Even with Tim English's worse form this year, his on-field performances still places him in the top 10 rucks on the field in the season. I don't see how we become a better team recruiting a player who has never played well at AFL level for a consistent period + 300k salary cap room, even if we were able to use that salary cap room perfectly, which is no guarantee. There'd either be a million posts about whatever other ruck we had, or simply, people would just not realise the difference in value play styles produce - a different ruck may avoid an ugly-looking physical contest loss, but would not have the running capacity to get to contests, or help his team's clearance differential, or get the occasional hitout to advantage, which English does but doesn't get valued (hence him still being a top-10 ruck). Half the league's teams are in a constant cycle of having an existential crisis for who should be the first ruck, the fact that we have a guaranteed one shoudn't be considered worthless.
Are you saying Vandermeer, Gallagher and McNeil are better players than Garcia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back