Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you seen the size of Buss lately. Has packed on muscle and is built like a bus. A bigger version of Weitering with better footskills and marking. Will stand all the big KPF with ease in a year or so. JOD is second KPD to play those more mobile forward talls, allowing coffield and Khamis to play that medium defender role. Interesting dilemma with Croft now. He is so mobile for a big man that he could be turned into whatever we need him to be as he’s still pretty raw with huge upside.
Croft had a better tank than most of the wingers in his draft year. He'll definitely find a spot at AFL level. JOD can also play on medium forwards given his agility.

Have you seen the size of Buss lately. Has packed on muscle and is built like a bus. A bigger version of Weitering with better footskills and marking. Will stand all the big KPF with ease in a year or so. JOD is second KPD to play those more mobile forward talls, allowing coffield and Khamis to play that medium defender role. Interesting dilemma with Croft now. He is so mobile for a big man that he could be turned into whatever we need him to be as he’s still pretty raw with huge upside.

Better marking would be something else. Think Weitering lead the league in intercept marks last year.

Excited to see Busslinger at AFL level. Understand they are playing the long game with him but still would have loved to see it. Hopefully after one more uninterrupted preseason he will be right to go.

Any recent footage or images of big bad Buss?

Dan Houston is gettable apparently. Can he play on small forwards?

Dan Houston is gettable apparently. Can he play on small forwards?
I think we have the ingredients to be able to concentrate more on the draft than trades this off-season.
A Duryea replacement would be amazing but I'm not sure who stands out this year.

I like Isaac Cumming but he'll get a monster deal as a FA to move and we wont be in the hunt. Sexton/Macpherson as FAs might help our small back stocks if they're both prepared to come to us and compete for a place.

I think we should putting all our effort into trading for Finn Callaghan. Out of contract next year.

Almost every Melbourne club has benefited from trading players from the expansion clubs except us.
Doggies fan growing up too wasnt he ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Croft had a better tank than most of the wingers in his draft year. He'll definitely find a spot at AFL level. JOD can also play on medium forwards given his agility.
Croft and O'Donnell have such unique athletic traits that they're never going to be the 1st or 2nd key defender you build it around, but part of a wider defensive unit a bit like some of the good Geelong teams of recent years with athletic running and intercepting etc.

Surrounding them, there's still absolutely a need for a traditional-style KPD who can take an opposition key forward, track them for the day, and kill the ball in the goalsquare and at the point of attack.

Barrass was clearly a class above much of West Coast's players against Saints yesterday (who were often going through the motion). Ironically, he was on Membrey who kicked six, but the Eagles players were going through the motions and not running defensively or applying any pressure, allowing Membrey to lead up and kick six. But Barrass killed every contest under a high ball and clearly beat Membrey for any entry that had some sort of pressure or defensive space blocked for it. Not only is he good Barrass, every West Coast going-through-the-motions loss to close out the season will make it just that much easier to recruit him.

I think we have the ingredients to be able to concentrate more on the draft than trades this off-season.
A Duryea replacement would be amazing but I'm not sure who stands out this year.

I like Isaac Cumming but he'll get a monster deal as a FA to move and we wont be in the hunt. Sexton/Macpherson as FAs might help our small back stocks if they're both prepared to come to us and compete for a place.
Paton from Saints is still my favourite target as a gettable lockdown defender. Out of favour with Lyon and seems to play him more on a wing.
Personally I'd try Baker as a lockdown small over the rest of the season and then draft someone like Hannaford who is likely to slip down to the rookie draft.
Not an expensive position to fill but definitely one that requires a special kind of player.

I still think that a play for Rayner is on the cards as a "pre-agent" otherwise it'll be lesser lights like Owies.

I still think that a play for Rayner is on the cards as a "pre-agent" otherwise it'll be lesser lights like Owies.
I will find it very difficult to cheer for Owies if he comes to us. Can play though

Barrass is 29.

We have Buss, JOD and Croft developing. Khamis can intercept. We have time to draft and develop another if we take one late.
With the unexpected emergence of Lobb has removed the need for Barass. Totally on board with taking a flyer at a developing KPD later on in the draft. Save our early pick for restocking our mids

I cannot believe there are people suggesting that we don't need to recruit a younger key defender simply because we have key defenders who are already in their 30's.

I get that Barrass is not young, but he'll almost certainly be a capable, AFL-best-22 quality player in some future seasons that players on our list will no longer be given their ages, whether that be with retirement or just form dropping off (ie Keath). Who would we rather as a key defender in 2026 or 2027 - a 31-year-old Barrass or a 33-year-old Lobb?

My doggies mates and I were discussing yesterday why is baz leaving?

My mate said because of money. I don't think that's an issue it would be marginal and he will make plenty from sponsorship and be wealthy. It begs the question why? Midfield opportunities? Clashes with coaches? I really don't know why?

I cannot believe there are people suggesting that we don't need to recruit a younger key defender simply because we have key defenders who are already in their 30's.

I get that Barrass is not young, but he'll almost certainly be a capable, AFL-best-22 quality player in some future seasons that players on our list will no longer be given their ages, whether that be with retirement or just form dropping off (ie Keath). Who would we rather as a key defender in 2026 or 2027 - a 31-year-old Barrass or a 33-year-old Lobb?
If we already had both then obviously Barrass but given we'd likely need to give up a first round pick and change for Barrass who could break down at any point with his dodgy back is a risk too large when we can spend that pick on a matter more pressing.
I'm all for picking up another tall late in the draft (someone like Faull, Mraz, Nicholls or Dennis) but we certainly don't need to be using first rounders (indraft or trade) on the position.

Now that our KPPs are secure for the next decade, I'd start targeting some elite wingers. I have a feeling that the Daicos bros are getting sick of playing for a losing team this year and would be keen for a move. Imagine a midfield of Bont, Richards and Treloar/Libba with Josh and Nick Daicos on the wings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back