Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Joel Freijah has penned a one-year contract extension at the Bulldogs, remaining at the Kennel until at least the end of the 2026 season.

Despite being contacted until the end of 2025, Freijah has been rewarded for an exciting start to his career as a Bulldog, playing 10 games in his debut season so far.

The defender has averaged 14 touches and five marks after being drafted at Pick 45 in the 2023 AFL National Draft.
The GWV Rebels product began as a wingman before moving into defence early in the season, showing plenty of promise in the VFL before making his debut in Round 10 against Richmond.

Bulldogs’ General Manager of List and Recruiting Sam Power said the Club was pleased to lock away the promising youngster.

“Joel hasn’t put a foot wrong since stepping into the Club at the beginning of the year,” Power said.

“He has worked extremely diligently to learn his craft as a defender and has shown positive signs throughout his 10 matches in the AFL side.

“We see a lot of growth in Joel and we look forward to watching him develop over the next two years.”

It looks like the club seems comfortable losing Smith and we probably have to move on one of Daniel or Macrae for overall list balance.

It's unfortunate losing quality players but at the end of the day that $1.2-$1.5 million can be spent on retaining players that are contributing to our on field success (JUH, Darcy etc.) or targeting players in specific needs.

Beautiful kick of the footy, but pretty timid. He's not the type of player we need

yeah, thats the vibe - but we persisted with a similar player - Bailey Dale, who is now one of the best rebounding defenders in the game, after being trialled everywhere else.

They are not identical - Dale is quicker and probably more evasive, both great traits for a rebounding defender! But at 195cm Lukosious has aerial power and if anything, he is a better kick than Dale - possibly even longer, but also looks to have a very precise 'soft' kick to advantage as well.

Look at his highlights as a defender a few years ago - some of those kicks are just so good.

yeah, thats the vibe - but we persisted with a similar player - Bailey Dale, who is now one of the best rebounding defenders in the game, after being trialled everywhere else.

They are not identical - Dale is quicker and probably more evasive, both great traits for a rebounding defender! But at 195cm Lukosious has aerial power and if anything, he is a better kick than Dale - possibly even longer, but also looks to have a very precise 'soft' kick to advantage as well.

Look at his highlights as a defender a few years ago - some of those kicks are just so good.

The highlights package pretty much confirms what i said. Beautiful kick, very outside and seemed to be going at 75% intensity through the whole thing. There were 2 marks in there and only 1 of them when he had someone on him.

Anyone have an idea on why the Freijah extension is only one year? I get it is a small sample size and a 10 year extension could be costly ( and ludicrous) but 1 year doesn’t scream show of faith to me. Two or three years tops at this stage. I am not knocking the decision at all, just wondering which side set the limit at one.

Lukosius would be a steal can really play, and if Smith wants to leave Sam Power will be asking for 2 first round picks

Anyone have an idea on why the Freijah extension is only one year? I get it is a small sample size and a 10 year extension could be costly ( and ludicrous) but 1 year doesn’t scream show of faith to me. Two or three years tops at this stage. I am not knocking the decision at all, just wondering which side set the limit at one.
1 year takes him through to 2026. Would hazard a guess that the terms are very similar to his rookie deal, hence advantageous to us and Joel gets an extra year added on before he has even finished his first.

Lukosius? Dont know too much about him other than I was impressed with his field kicking. Like, imagine if Baily Dale was 195cm. Has just been omitted from the Suns team this week where he has been playing forward for a season or so.

How would he look for us in defence? As a 3rd tall or even very tall back flanker. (195). Possibly in the role Buku is playing at the moment as a floating defender.

Is a 3rd tall defender but on the slower side. Really great kick and I would happily take him. Any other role doesn’t suit him.

The highlights package pretty much confirms what i said. Beautiful kick, very outside and seemed to be going at 75% intensity through the whole thing. There were 2 marks in there and only 1 of them when he had someone on him.

Absolutely - but what a weapon if played to his strengths - currently we have buku floating unopposed in the 'hole'. now imagine that, but with the ability to pick out players 50m away streaming down the centre of the ground...

I think first rounders get 3 years as part of their rookie contract now? I imagine this is just extending him to be in line with the top echelon of his draft class.

flip that - why would Freijah take a long term extention at fringe player rates? His management would probably tell him to cement himself in the side over the next 2 years, then the payday contract

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lukosius? Dont know too much about him other than I was impressed with his field kicking. Like, imagine if Baily Dale was 195cm. Has just been omitted from the Suns team this week where he has been playing forward for a season or so.

How would he look for us in defence? As a 3rd tall or even very tall back flanker. (195). Possibly in the role Buku is playing at the moment as a floating defender.

He's a beautiful user of the ball, I'm pretty sure that he does see himself as a forward though.

The third year is capped at a rookie rate by the AFL so would just be about an extra years stability to take him in line with first round draft picks and allow the club and friejah to come to terms after that, that will better reflect his output at the time considering his quick rise it makes sense for him to see just how far he can take that momentum for a nice pay increase.

Getting nervous about Garcia now..
From Garcia's perspective, it makes no sense for him to sign right now. Say he is dropped for the remainder of the season, the Dogs aren't going to reduce their contract offer, nor will other clubs. It's just unfortunate that we have a strong side.

He's hasn't solidified his spot in the 22. If he can manage that and have a good finals campaign, the offers he'd get from the Bulldogs AND other clubs would only rise from this point on. He would be low balling himself.

Not sure of aerobic capacity , but wing screams out to me for Lukosius.
He has spent time on the wing aswell as defence and forward. Personally I think his best position is starting out of the forwardline working high up the ground for the last kick into the forwardline. He is a beautiful long accurate kick and it's definitely his strongest attribute.

Top draft picks get 3 years under the new CBA. Freijah isn't a top draft pick, and his third year is probably equivalent to the increases that those 3 year CBA contract draft picks get for their third year.

It may have been a trigger extension given the new contact rules around draftees (and the rules are different for first round picks vs everyone else).

He has spent time on the wing aswell as defence and forward. Personally I think his best position is starting out of the forwardline working high up the ground for the last kick into the forwardline. He is a beautiful long accurate kick and it's definitely his strongest attribute.
Very good player with ball in hand. Reminds me a lot of Jack Watts. Not big and strong enough to play key position, bit slow for a flanker and plays with very little intensity. Not a fit with our current game plan

Very good player with ball in hand. Reminds me a lot of Jack Watts. Not big and strong enough to play key position, bit slow for a flanker and plays with very little intensity. Not a fit with our current game plan
Don't think the comparison is really apt, other than being soft, tall players. Watts was far more of a natural athlete (his straight line speed and jumping ability was highly underrated) as well as natural footballer in understanding leading patterns and reading the play to intercept while in defence. Lukocious is a lot more skilled and has great vision and decision making with ball in hand, but he's hardly the athlete that Watts was, and can't be said to track the flow of play as naturally.

Announcement at training today with Garcia in the middle of it on the middle of WO.

Contract?

Maybe things coming in 3’s, but was this definitely Garcia, or was it Freijah?

Would be an epic week to have Freijah, Garcia & English all re-signing.

I’d love Baz to also stay, but it appears he won’t be. So if you’re not in, you’re in the way.

Maybe things coming in 3’s, but was this definitely Garcia, or was it Freijah?

Would be an epic week to have Freijah, Garcia & English all re-signing.

I’d love Baz to also stay, but it appears he won’t be. So if you’re not in, you’re in the way.
Freijah was revealed to have signed a couple of weeks ago but it just wasn’t official from the club so I don’t think it would’ve been him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back