Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

If there is one player we should be aiming from Melbourne

That is bayley fritsch
He would be deadly in our forward line
Could easily be a 50+ kicker with our structure

Mods - should this result in a temporary ban?

Some of our supporters have a strange Jordan Sweet obsession.
It’s hilarious. There isn’t a single coach in the history of the AFL that would play Sweet over English. The fact that people still bring it up is embarrassing.

For some reason people on this board seem to think Sweet is Simon Madden and Pat Lipinski is Simon Black. Probably the same people who thought Lewis Young would be a superstar…

It’s hilarious. There isn’t a single coach in the history of the AFL that would play Sweet over English. The fact that people still bring it up is embarrassing.

For some reason people on this board seem to think Sweet is Simon Madden and Pat Lipinski is Simon Black. Probably the same people who thought Lewis Young would be a superstar…
Don't forget cleary is Gary Ayres. Why won't the coach play him!

Playing Daniel in our best 22 is a step back and probably results with a first week exit from finals like previous years. Same with Macrae in the midfield. Why repeat history that we are moving away from. Youth and speed in the right positions have made the whole team better 2nd half of the year. Thankfully Macrae is now showing he can play another role.

Playing Daniel in our best 22 is a step back and probably results with a first week exit from finals like previous years. Same with Macrae in the midfield. Why repeat history that we are moving away from. Youth and speed in the right positions have made the whole team better 2nd half of the year. Thankfully Macrae is now showing he can play another role.
Couldn't agree more re Daniel. It's a shame but he's too small and too slow to play in our side. At the end of the day it's a business with no room for sentiment. We will have to move on players we all love. That's the reality of it.

No one would play English over Sweet most that wanted Sweet played like me would have loved to see English/Sweer combination at least tried.

There are very few coaches that would not have at least tried that.

No one thinks Sweet is a Madden

Sweet is at Port he is Ports problem we have English and he is our problem

Last edited:
Honestly it’s around the mark, he’s never shown himself to be a genuine A grader for longer than short spells, he’s coming off an ACL and he’s out of contract.

A pick 10-15 is about as much as we should expect.
Hard disagree. He’s 23 and comparatively speaking ranking against players of same experience he’s been A-grade or close to for probably 3.5 of of his 5 full seasons.

ACLs aren’t a death sentence these days. We should be looking at Cerra as precedent, Baz is worth a top 10 every day and we’ll still be on the short end of that stick

No one would play English over Sweet most that wanted Sweet played like me would have loved to see English/Sweer combination at least tried.

There are very few coaches that would not have at least tried that.

No one thinks Sweet is a Madden

Sweet is at Port he is Ports problem we have English and he is our problem

Move an AA form ruckman to the fwd line to accomodate a C Grade ruckman?

Which coaches would’ve tried that?

Would have to be desperate and on the verge of losing your job to give that a go.

Would have to be desperate and on the verge of losing your job to give that a go.
The thing with Tim is he has his bad games say 3/10 which is where a Darcy/Lobb come in handy as you can throw them in the ruck more in those games if needed

Sweet would be lucky to play 3/10 good games

Desperate is playing Zaine Cordy as a forward/ruck for half a season for 2 goals :drunk:2022 was a train wreck.

Do find all this squirming funny now that Sweet is playing regularly for a side that’s 2nd on the ladder. Guess he had one or two AFL level traits.

He was AA one year thus far?

AA award chosen by some media so called experts. AA counts for zilch to me anyway

Like I said Sweet is Ports problem and English is our one

Sure Sweet is happy playing in a side that has secured top 4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was AA one year thus far?

AA award chosen by some media so called experts. AA counts for zilch to me anyway

Like I said Sweet is Ports problem and English is our one

Sure Sweet is happy playing in a side that has secured top 4

Tim was good last year. Oppo rucks still typically had one of their better games against him every other week, but he was damaging enough the other way for him to be a net positive. Probably got a bit lucky that the Dees recruited Grundy, that likely cost Gawn AA.

The regression back the mean from him this year has been frustrating, but at least it killed off the serious interest him and we were able to re-sign him fairly cheaply. I reckon most would be pretty down on him if we gave him $1M+ for 6-7 years last year and he turned in the season he has.

Smith for Lukocious, which team says no? Maybe they pay some of his cash.
Reminder that 2-club transactions involving swapping players both worth more than about pick 30 are a thing of the past.

The last one was probably Wingard for Burton in 2018 and that still involved a first round pick moving clubs. Boyd/Griffen in 2014 before that (also involving a 1st round pick).

Hard disagree. He’s 23 and comparatively speaking ranking against players of same experience he’s been A-grade or close to for probably 3.5 of of his 5 full seasons.

ACLs aren’t a death sentence these days. We should be looking at Cerra as precedent, Baz is worth a top 10 every day and we’ll still be on the short end of that stick
Can see both sides of the argument. What you say is fair, but he's uncontracted, has his issues and hasn't shown his best form quite a while now.

If we get offered anything around 10-12 or equivalent, we'll be taking it.

Hawks supporter posting in here as if Ralph has ever had worthwhile intel. 🤪

Fritsch and Lukosius. Pick 2 random high profile players that we have less need of... neither would fit our structure, no defensive traits.

I look forward to round 1, 2025 when dual premiership player Jackson Macrae lines up in RW&B in round 1. (Obviously against an opponent who has played in round 0, round pre-0 and round pre-pre-0, and had a 10 day break before playing us...)

I also expect next year we'll be the first team to play twice in Gather Round weekend... Thursday night as the 'home' team v Port at Alberton Oval, then Sunday again as the 'home' team v Crows at West Lakes. We'll also play 2 home games at Corio paddock against away team Geelong. Media will bleat all year about us being gifted 4 additional home games...

Honestly it’s around the mark, he’s never shown himself to be a genuine A grader for longer than short spells, he’s coming off an ACL and he’s out of contract.

A pick 10-15 is about as much as we should expect.
My thoughts exactly.

Can't get there on Bailey ever being A grade outside of the semi and prelim in 2021. The run he had pre headbutt and suspension was approaching it but even then it was built on mass accumulation. Agree re: the ACL.

I'll never understand the concept of keeping above-average salaried players on our list if they're just going to be playing VFL and/or used as a sub. Call me crazy but I prefer to have most of our salary cap used to maximise our best 22.
We disagree on a number of levels. Firstly, I haven't given up on either of them. If I'm picking a finals team today, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that both Daniel and Macrae are in it. History will tell you that it's remarkably challenging to win finals without experience and leadership, and both offer this in spades. On top of that, the possible replacements - Garcia, Poulter, Sanders, Baker and the like - are clearly inferior players at this stage of their career. I actually don't buy that they're not best 22.

Secondly, even if I'm wrong on the above, you can't win premierships without depth. Yes, you need to prioritise the strength of your best team, but this is rarely the one that suits up for you at the end of the year. Depth is also important in driving standards and keeping the best team on their toes. Having depth as well credentialed as players and leaders as CD and Macrae are is hugely valuable.

Finally, cap space is only a worthwhile argument if it's immediately going to better players. If we're bringing in players that are immediately better and immediately displace them further down the pecking order, then it is more understandable. But pushing them out just for cash to sit there? It makes no sense. Not to mention that we offered Baz a relatively sizable deal, so there's money there already. We've never been a destination club, even in our periods of success, so pushing contributing players out just because they're on an above average wage is nonsensical.

Adam Cerra - 9 career brownlow votes in 4 seasons as a former pick 5 who was thus traded for pick 6 and a 3rd rounder.

He was effectively traded for his equivalent draft pick as he was considered to be as good as an average player with that pick.

Bailey Smith - former pick 7 who has 29 career brownlow votes from 5 seasons as a former pick 7.

The knee and the inconsistency and the weakness of his most recent form is clearly a factor, but it's why we should be expecting something a bit less - ie something around pick 8-10 rather than pick 5-7, in my view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back