Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt anyone here would question the decision to delist Gowers years ago but he seems to have found his feet at Port Melbourne. Looks like he’s playing his best 2018 footy regularly.

Will probably never get another go at this age, but it struck me that he lost confidence in 2019 and never got it back. I do wonder if he’d have been able to have a good AFL career under different circumstances.
Bought a Billy Gowers t-shirt the day he was delisted. Worn it out since then. Big fan.

I doubt anyone here would question the decision to delist Gowers years ago but he seems to have found his feet at Port Melbourne. Looks like he’s playing his best 2018 footy regularly.

Will probably never get another go at this age, but it struck me that he lost confidence in 2019 and never got it back. I do wonder if he’d have been able to have a good AFL career under different circumstances.

You have to be incredible to make it as an undersized KPF in the AFL. Him being a level above in the VFL has never been in doubt but in the AFL you have to be an incredible player to make that role work.

Ok thanks - two hands behind our backs then

But is he likely to go into the draft and want to go to North or West Coast? The problem for him is that he success off the field will depend on his success on the field. Larkey would make millions if he was the FF at Collingwood, LDU etc they are better players but have lower profiles than good players in more successful teams.

So that argument makes Geelong and even Hawthorn a better target. I expect his manager will be playing forward the scenarios:

• Geelong: consistent success / you will be part of a good culture that will rebuild quickly. Problem is - why is this better than staying? Probably not better than staying for his long term. Probably need a big delta in $ to move but this will be on offer. Cats are shedding salary cap to go hard and do go hard on who they want - eg Kelly, Dangerfield and Cameron
  • Hawthorn: have been behind for a while but never down for long and you could be seen as the saviour who gets them back to a contender - ie they are close. A bit like Lake going to them but after a year or so of promised support where is he now? Hopefully he sees the risk.
  • Bulldogs - this is the team first option. If you say no to these offers and become the player you believe you can be - you become like Roo at StKilda - a legend of the club with a long future after football. These kinds of players are sought after in media because they are loved (Smith could be the next Brad Johnson) or in football because of the culture they bring. Why Boyd and Murphy and a lot of the ex Geelong golden era players are snapped up. They all chose to stick together.

The other issue is that when Tassie joins this will push up the market and while every team loses players - more will go then. Players are signing contracts to line up with a renewal at that time and line ups for free agency.

Sam is probably running this lines and many better ones.

Hope he stays / he is a star and we won’t get better back but losing players is part of the game and we have to able to go on and get stronger with players who want to be part of the team.

I don’t think we will be getting odriscol . He’s killing it and looks on an upward trajectory with freo doubt they’ll let him go
Ability was never the issue, just can’t get his body right. I’d love to take a flyer on him but agree if he keeps up this level of performance they won’t be letting him go.

When Smith didn’t commit last year, we should have actively pushed for trade options. English and Juh the same. If we want you and are committed to you, either you reciprocate in turn of we need go to scope the market while we have some leverage.
It doesn’t work like that sadly. If you can wait and keep a JUH at market value you let them take as long as they like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think we will be getting odriscol . He’s killing it and looks on an upward trajectory with freo doubt they’ll let him go

Pretty sure when they let go of Acres it was because they had real confidence in O’Driscoll and Henry being their wingers.

Henry obviously gone as well but Gold Coast’s ineptitude has landed them a handy player in Sharp. I’d be surprised if he leaves, compliments their team well but I like him as a player

Will Hamill from Adelaide has been one I thought had some good traits as a defender. Turning 24 later this year. Only 45 games. Could be another Bramble in the making.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reminds me of Jasper Pittard.

Sounds like an insult but not meant to be. Shows flair and has good and bad parts to his game. Pittard was never able to rein it in and was always an inconsistent player, feel like Hamill has been the same so far

Reminds me of Jasper Pittard.

Sounds like an insult but not meant to be. Shows flair and has good and bad parts to his game. Pittard was never able to rein it in and was always an inconsistent player, feel like Hamill has been the same so far
I actually think that Crows have a few nice pieces, they just don't have a heap of team balance, leadership or coaching about them.

I know mate , they’ll be giving him a decent contract the way he’s looking at the moment

Clubs don’t hand out “decent” contracts for an average game & a quarter with a few flashy moments.

I know he’s coming back from injury but he’ll get an offer at about the minimum. If he wants a fresh start, he will gauge interest elsewhere first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back