Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Draft picks:
33, 44

List chasm: For a long time, it looked as though the Bulldogs needed some key defensive depth, but Rory Lobb’s transformation from a maligned forward to a star intercept defender has been incredible. They’ve also got young Jedd Busslinger waiting in the wings for a debut, the club’s first selection of the 2022 draft. The Bulldogs are well stocked on every line and Luke Beveridge has this team absolutely humming ahead of an exciting 2024 finals campaign. If we’re being pedantic, could the Bulldogs do with some reinforcements across half-back?

Ideal draft prospects: One name the Bulldogs will hope slides to their selection is Sandringham Dragons tough nut Harrison Oliver. Oliver is as courageous as they come and is an elite ball user, averaging 16 disposals at 83% efficiency for Vic Metro in their title winning run. His ability to break the lines was a key driver in his selection as an All-Australian. South Australian Angus Clarke could be another option here, as could Northern Knights gem Zak Johnson.

Just revisiting the Josh Dunkley attempted move to Essendon. Still can’t believe they wouldn’t give two first rounders. Of the picks they could’ve offered they turned out to be Cox, Perkins, Reid and Hobbs. All at pick 13 at the latest. Such putrid drafting.
Did you hear old man Watson on SEN talking about how they “had” Dunkley and lost him? Last I checked he never pulled on the injectable red and black. Looking back it was deplorable how they handled the Dunkley situation:

• pry out Josh with a big contract
  • make him go public with a trade request
  • refuse to attempt a fair negotiation
  • fluff all 3 of the picks they had and potentially the future first too.

Are we still in the mix for Matthew Bate and Lobbe from Port?

Did you hear old man Watson on SEN talking about how they “had” Dunkley and lost him? Last I checked he never pulled on the injectable red and black. Looking back it was deplorable how they handled the Dunkley situation:

• pry out Josh with a big contract
  • make him go public with a trade request
  • refuse to attempt a fair negotiation
  • fluff all 3 of the picks they had and potentially the future first too.
I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Dunkley to Essendon did go through. After it was lifestyle reasons going to Queensland wasn’t it? Does that change if he took the Bombers contract?

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Dunkley to Essendon did go through. After it was lifestyle reasons going to Queensland wasn’t it? Does that change if he took the Bombers contract?
If you believe the chat we were so unprofessional during the hub (tennis balls with drugs or some shit) that he wanted to leave. That argument falls to pieces though when the team he requested a trade to was Essendon. The Essendon deal wasn't mind blowing, something like $600k a season or so by memory. Even the money he is on now at Brissy isn't crazy. He's just a different cat with a weird family.

If you believe the chat we were so unprofessional during the hub (tennis balls with drugs or some shit) that he wanted to leave. That argument falls to pieces though when the team he requested a trade to was Essendon. The Essendon deal wasn't mind blowing, something like $600k a season or so by memory. Even the money he is on now at Brissy isn't crazy. He's just a different cat with a weird family.
Brisbane won’t be his final team. He’ll do some stupid American shit like sitting down on a podcast with 3 different teams jumpers in front of him and then picking one up to announce where he’s requesting a trade to.

I wonder if Steph Curry keeps the Lions jumper he got from Dunks in the same drawer as his Olympic gold medal.

I'm so glad Power didn't trade Dunkley to Essendon. The whole media landscape were insisting that we had to trade him, simply because its what he wanted, and because of the mentality that Essendon are a big club and we are just a small feeder club.
Credit to Dunkley as well in that he came back to the club and was an absolute monster pre shoulder reco in those first 6 rounds, well on the way to All Australian.

Bit of sliding doors to had he stayed, almost certainly no Richards in the midfield and Treloar would be nowhere near his maiden All Australian blazer.

Van Es would present a unique opportunity to add a talented young key defender to our list at very low risk, however some posters over on the Saints board are suggesting his ankle is completely cooked - to the point where an early retirement may be on the cards. Was very highly touted as a youngster if I remember correctly.

I wouldn’t be against giving him a year at VFL level in the hope of reigniting his career.

Yeah, if we were to float a lifeline with a contract at Footscray then I wouldn't be opposed

Riley Beveridge mentioned on Gettable today that Port will be very busy during trade period and one of the names he linked to them was Riley Garcia.

Would be pretty hilarious.
Cant get a game in our midfield but then will be stuck behind Butters, Rozee, Wines, Drew and JHF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The incredible thing about the Dunkley trade is that ... we were right to keep him, because he played two years of good footy for us, especially for his final games for us in 2022. He was clearly our best player in the four or five games leading up to our 2022 final, and was our best in our lost vs. Freo in that final.

If he had that form for Essendon, they may have won a final in those two years, but they'd much rather fail to develop yet another draft pick.

I’m still very unsure on Garcia.

Seems to have the tools to a be a good player, but is lacking efficiency and is prone to give away cheap free kicks.

I wouldn’t necessarily want to lose him but I don’t think it’s the end of the world if he goes
Agreed he’s not one that’ll bite us if he leaves, if you could combine him and Lipinski into 1 player you’d have an elite talent

Have we actually been linked to Houston at all (besides "Dogs should go after him")?

Also any talk of Petracca is pointless. Even if he does decide to leave there's no way he ever picks us. And he's not the kind of trade we should be going after anyway, the cost would be astronomical. We shouldn't be selling the farm for a 28yo mid, not even for a star like him.

Whilst it would be handy to cash in on the likes of Smith, Daniel, Macrae, Garcia etc. If they want to leave.

But the best teams have good depth. I personally would rather have the likes of Daniel, Macrae as fall back options for injuries etc. Than some green draftee. We need to strike a good balance of being able to get enough assets in to replenish some areas of the squad, but also maintaining strong enough depth. So we can push, and push again the next few seasons whilst we have a competitive team, without falling a part if we have a bad injury run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back