Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I was the first to mention our interest on here about Barrass a few years back. It seems we are still very much interested. Funny, how sometimes trades are years in the making. Eg Stef Martin haha

I had completely and entirely forgotten Stef Martin played at our club. It is like a black hole in my memory and I remember the fact that we once had dudes like Jed Adcock and Justin Sherman play for us.

Out:
B. Smith
Buss (to WCE)
Geelongs first (to WCE)

In:
Whatever Buss is worth
Geelongs first (for B. Smith)
Tom Barass
Tyson Stengle (signed as FA)

Would anyone complain?

Hypothetically speaking we'd be looking at something like:

FB: Coffield - Jones - Williams
HB: Dale - Barrass - Bramble

C: Freijah - Bontempelli - Harmes

HF: Stengle - Naughton - Darcy
FF: Weightman - JUH - West

R: English - Liberatore - Richards

I: Treloar - Sanders - Gallagher - Macrae
S: Garcia

Personally, this doesn't look a complete side to me yet. That's particularly the case down back which looks slow and unreliable.

I like both players, but I'm not sure we're at the stage of putting substantial cap space towards their type.

Out:
B. Smith
Buss (to WCE)
Geelongs first (to WCE)

In:
Whatever Buss is worth
Tom Barass

Would anyone complain?
No, but i think we are dreaming haha

Would his body last until 35 is the question.

28 currently. 29 by years end, so will be 34. Not that it makes too much of a difference.

I’ve been uncertain about any trade for Barras but coming round to the idea. He’s only played 145 games across 10 years, so although injuries may be an issue, the general condition of his body couldn’t be too bad with such a light game load across all seasons.

I’d trust Barras at 34 more so than any other key back we’ve had in the last 20 years. Besides maybe Jones who’s playing like Benjamin Button and Moz.

If it doesn’t cost the world, I’m in!

Weren't there rumours about issues with Barass's medical with the Swans?

Yes there were

Sydney did not do what the Saints did with Hannebery

I am sure the Dogs will do a medical due diligence

28 currently. 29 by years end, so will be 34. Not that it makes too much of a difference.

I’ve been uncertain about any trade for Barras but coming round to the idea. He’s only played 145 games across 10 years, so although injuries may be an issue, the general condition of his body couldn’t be too bad with such a light game load across all seasons.

I’d trust Barras at 34 more so than any other key back we’ve had in the last 20 years. Besides maybe Jones who’s playing like Benjamin Button and Moz.

If it doesn’t cost the world, I’m in!
His back is a worry for me and I feel like the Eagles (rightfully so) will ask for Buss and any picks we get for Smith in return.

A Busslinger - Barass swap (with whatever else both sides feel is fair) is probably sensible for all involved.

Eagles could also pay for some of Barrass's salary and assist the Dogs chasing another free agent or trade.

The balance to the trade deal may wobble around depending on other factors. Garcia may be of interest as well.

But as other have posted nothing will happen here unless TB finishes the year off well fitness wise and passes a medical.

I wouldn't blame him for moving. Play for a Melbourne team likely extends his career by a year or two just from reduced travel loads. Same reason I see Harley finishing in Victoria, get him to mid 30's still playing.

Eagles could also pay for some of Barrass's salary and assist the Dogs chasing another free agent or trade.

The balance to the trade deal may wobble around depending on other factors. Garcia may be of interest as well.

But as other have posted nothing will happen here unless TB finishes the year off well fitness wise and passes a medical.

I wouldn't blame him for moving. Play for a Melbourne team likely extends his career by a year or two just from reduced travel loads. Same reason I see Harley finishing in Victoria, get him to mid 30's still playing.
You guys need to hold Reid at all costs. I hate seeing the bottom of the ladder teams struggle, creates such an unfair competition for anyone who plays you twice. Harley is the guy you build the team around, losing him and your back to square one.

15m over 10 years front loaded just get it done.

Hypothetically speaking we'd be looking at something like:

FB: Coffield - Jones - Williams
HB: Dale - Barrass - Bramble

C: Freijah - Bontempelli - Harmes

HF: Stengle - Naughton - Darcy
FF: Weightman - JUH - West

R: English - Liberatore - Richards

I: Treloar - Sanders - Gallagher - Macrae
S: Garcia

Personally, this doesn't look a complete side to me yet. That's particularly the case down back which looks slow and unreliable.

I like both players, but I'm not sure we're at the stage of putting substantial cap space towards their type.
If we got a good forward line coach in that forward line is the thing of dreams.

We do need to look at another real pacy and attacking minded HBF, we have Croft developing as well.

My biggest problems is another winger, we seriously need a Gulden type on one wing, Williams is fine on the other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Busslinger cost us a first round pick. Barrass is a very good player, but at his age and with his health concerns, and the fact he misses 4-8 games every year with injury, the idea of effectively trading two first round picks for him (Buss, another first) is unpalatable to me.

I don't think there'd be too many Dogs supporters happy with that trade. The Smith pick on its own is too much, imo, and would need something coming back to us, as he is a big risk with his back and probably only has 3 good years left playing at his peak. Considering Smith/Pick 10 has 10 good years, we should be asking for more. Adding losing Buss to that equation is ridiculous.

Barass certainly fits into our history of recruiting key defenders that other teams have drafted. Jones, Keath, O'Brien, Gardner (via VFL/MSD), Hamling. We haven't had much strike rate drafting our own, with Collins being a rare swing and miss with our generally good drafting over the last decade.

Treloar has an unbelievable boot on both feet, he has been a remarkable recruit. He seems like a really likeable guy as well. Still burns dudes off with his pace and loves our club.
He is a brilliant recruit in so many ways. Gun player, leadership, clean skin off ground. All round good human. We are lucky to have him at our club.

It makes perfect sense - clubs will do what they can to get the player cheaply in a trade, there's really no reason for it to be associated with the salary.

Clubs will offer a high salary to get the player to request a trade and then pay the bare minimum the other club will accept to trade for him. And the club trading the player will almost always lose because they have no leverage. Sure they can send him to the draft and get nothing but there are several reasons not to do that.

A club with a gun player who wants out will almost always lose the trade, unless the player declines greatly in ability or they pick up an unexpected star in the draft. The thing to focus on is creating an environment that players don't want to leave.
But this has never played out in literally every single out of contract big money trade in recent years, with circumstances that have been very similar to Smith

Dunkley for 21, Brisbane F1 (eventually they made the GF but they also could have missed finals and it be a top 10 pick), other picks for Dogs slight advantage. All together as a package worth a single pick in late top 10. Six years, $750k
Taranto: 12+ 19. 7 years, $750k
Rankine - 5 years, $800k, Pick 5 and a bunch of later pick swaps
Luke Jackson - 7 years, 900k, some late picks coming back for pick 13, future 1st, future 2nd
Cerra - 4 years, 600k+ performance triggers, pick 6 in the trade
Dawson - 5 years, 650k, everyone agrees that Sydney got screwed as Dawson was always going back to his home state but Swans still got a outright future first (from a bad team, Melbourne's). Net value still in the early teens on average, given the theoretical possibility it could be a top 5 pick if Melbourne crapped the bed in their premiership defence
Cameron - five yearsk 900k, pick 13, 15 and 20 with 2 picks in the 2nd round coming back
Caldwell - former pick 11 leaving GWS after two years - pick 44 to 29 upgrade plus a future 2nd - so roughly worth a late 1st
Tim Kelly - 6 years, 850k - future first + pick 14 + pick 24

This is all the trades for out-of-contract non-free agents who were getting paid money that would make them a top 100 paid player in the league or so

All of them went for high draft picks.

Bailey Smith going for a late first or a second round pick or whatever would be an outlier, because if it were true that "hey would go for the bare minimum" despite "offer[ing] a high salary" to qutoe you above, it should have manefested in the 7 or 8 big trades I've outlined above. None of them did, which is the point I'm making.

Last edited:
He is a brilliant recruit in so many ways. Gun player, leadership, clean skin off ground. All round good human. We are lucky to have him at our club.
He's certainly playing his best footy since 2016 (his first year at the Pies) and possibly career-best footy.

Given his injury issues in his last years at Collingwood, his first years with us, being at the wrong side of 30, and the personal and emotional circumstances which he came to the club and his unique family situation, I think everyone would have been accepting on him being a good player but not one that reached the AA Squad and 10+ Brownlow votes per season he got two or three times at the Pies. The fact that he's reached an exceeded those levels, even for another season, shows what a great recruit and professional player he is. It's a bonus.

I had completely and entirely forgotten Stef Martin played at our club. It is like a black hole in my memory and I remember the fact that we once had dudes like Jed Adcock and Justin Sherman play for us.
Pat Vezpremi as well

Out:
B. Smith
Buss (to WCE)
Geelongs first (to WCE)

In:
Whatever Buss is worth
Tom Barass

Would anyone complain?
I would prefer it if Buss wasn't involved.

3 doable trades;

Geelong's 1st (8-10) for Smith is about right. Given his contract size we could argue for a few little extras, maybe something like F3 given upcoming father sons.

- In exchange we give a big chunk of Baz's contract to Stengle so he's happy, Geelong keep their 1st as FA compo.

- We pass that pick 8-10 for Barass.

Given Eagles can only offer a 3 year contract to Barass, there are health issues and he doesn't play full seasons (never played 20 games in a season), we either get something back or Eagles pay a chunk of his salary (given their big cap space, this may appeal to them).

Smith out, Stengle, Barass in and a few little extras is a very good outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back