Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the main rules of list management is - if you can get a quality key position player, and get them cheap - do it. They don't grow on the proverbials. It's low risk/high gain strategy.

He'll be 29 at the start of next season. In soccer terms that's "get him off the books for peanuts" territory. We won't part with a first round pick & West Coast won't expect one.

Last edited:
Barrass? I’d say more high risk/high reward.

Depends what we give up for him, which hopefully wouldn't be much.
The "struggling to get out of bed" part is a concern of course..

Because flags are so hard to win, I'm inclined towards list management that makes an informed prediction of peak Bulldogs. It's rare that you'll get all lines at their peak in any one year but there's a sweet spot of balance.

The next peak Bulldogs almost certainly includes Bont around his prime...which is this year, next year and possibly the year after.

Treloar and Libba as older midfielders are playing well but as we know that can change quickly as injuries occur. It's the midfield I'd bolster. There's enough talent forward and back that will improve over the next year or two.

Continuity of quality supply is where my focus would be.

Depends what we give up for him, which hopefully wouldn't be much.
The "struggling to get out of bed" part is a concern of course..

The comp is so even right now that there’s a great opportunity to grasp if we make the right list decisions.
I still think investing in another A grade mid is our best chance at a flag while we still have a decent quality, yet aging, midfield, Bont and Jones down back.

It's the right question to ask. The trouble is the club doesn't always come up with the obvious answer.

We traded for Lobb in similar circumstances. The argument in favour of getting Lobb was that he was a quality tall forward (who could pinch hit in the ruck) and he'd tide us over until Darcy eventually came good. That turned out to be only a year and now we hear Lobb wants out with more than two years left on his contract.

The argument for Barrass is that we need a quality KPD until Buss and Croft come through. If it's really only for a year or two do we need to pay him $3m?

The arguments in defence of both of these trades is that they help manage risk and that we are supposedly challenging for the top 4. So Barrass could be the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle...

I wasn't really in favour of the Lobb deal and I'm not that keen on Barrass either. But neither trade is totally stupid. So I won't be burning down MWO if it happens.

My guess is Barrass will stay at West Coast.
I think Barrass will be able to use this too leverage an extension on increased dollars at West Coast. And good luck to him one wrong hit with a bad back and he could be done.

It's the right question to ask. The trouble is the club doesn't always come up with the obvious answer.

We traded for Lobb in similar circumstances. The argument in favour of getting Lobb was that he was a quality tall forward (who could pinch hit in the ruck) and he'd tide us over until Darcy eventually came good. That turned out to be only a year and now we hear Lobb wants out with more than two years left on his contract.

The argument for Barrass is that we need a quality KPD until Buss and Croft come through. If it's really only for a year or two do we need to pay him $3m?

The arguments in defence of both of these trades is that they help manage risk and that we are supposedly challenging for the top 4. So Barrass could be the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle...

I wasn't really in favour of the Lobb deal and I'm not that keen on Barrass either. But neither trade is totally stupid. So I won't be burning down MWO if it happens.

My guess is Barrass will stay at West Coast.

Agreed. I think this one is worse then the Lobb one though as we will likely have to give up a first round pick and he comes with more injury risk. Struggling to get out of bed and failing a medical at Sydney gives me a bad vibe.

I don’t see the high risk with Barrass unless we overpay. If we get to a point behind the scenes that he comes out and requests a trade we will get him across.

Regarding his injuries he has been great this year, if he passes the medicals you have to do it.

I'm torn on barrass. If it's going to cost us the Smith comp I'd rather regenerate the midfield with that pick. I can't understate how important it is to have a blue chip midfield and ours is ageing. Buss signing and Lobb emerging potentially changes the need for Tommy B

Croft and Buss should really be developing down back together and would help form a connection in the future. I just can't rap my head around Croft developing forward, there isn't a spot in the team for him now or in the future.

Frustrates the shit outta me. Supposedly it’s because we have no key fwds in the vfl. Why can’t we just bring in a local player?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frustrates the shit outta me. Supposedly it’s because we have no key fwds in the vfl. Why can’t we just bring in a local player?

I prefer Croft developing up forward at VFL level, at least initially. It’s a harder position. He’ll have to work his backside off as our main man in the forward line. He’s really not missing out on anything by not playing on blokes like Hudson Garoni, he’s still competing in 1v1s, halving contests, etc as a forward.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a bad thing long term. Sometimes playing on experienced defenders can teach you a lot.
Croft is promising (incredible tank for any player, let alone a tall) but he's miles off ready for AFL. going to need a few pre-seasons.

I suspect Buss will get plenty of AFL games under his belt before Croft even debuts. Buss's trajectory is pretty good even after all the footy he's missed. I still see 'old school full back' in his style of play at VFL level despite his draft year being very much as an interceptor.

One of the main rules of list management is - if you can get a quality key position player, and get them cheap - do it. They don't grow on the proverbials. It's low risk/high gain strategy.

He'll be 29 at the start of next season. In soccer terms that's "get him off the books for peanuts" territory. We won't part with a first round pick & West Coast won't expect one.
I don't think a 2nd round pick is incentive enough to part ways with one of the best defenders in the comp.

If West Coast were struggling for salary cap room like Collingwood or Gold Coast have in recent years a 2nd round pick might be enough. This is not the case with West Coast. They want access to the top end of the draft to rebuild their list.

Last edited:
No disrespect to anyone who has reported our Barrass interest, but I don't personally believe he's ever seriously considered leaving Perth, nor that any "discussions" we've had with his management have been more than a cursory "so what's Tom thinking?" from Sam P, and a "he's thinking Perth is a nice place to live at least until his AFL career is over" from his management.

But I've been wrong before.... I can't remember when, but Mrs GJ assures me it's happened. 🤔

No disrespect to anyone who has reported our Barrass interest, but I don't personally believe he's ever seriously considered leaving Perth, nor that any "discussions" we've had with his management have been more than a cursory "so what's Tom thinking?" from Sam P, and a "he's thinking Perth is a nice place to live at least until his AFL career is over" from his management.

But I've been wrong before.... I can't remember when, but Mrs GJ assures me it's happened. 🤔
My mother in law used to assure me that "I may not be right, but I'm never wrong!".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back