Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tim did some nice things yesterday, unfortunately ruck work was not one of them .
He is timid and suspect his concussions have made it worse. We could do worse than swap him with the crows for O'Brien, at least he will contest in the ruck. If Marshall wants out from the Saints, would do a swap of Tim for Marshall in a heartbeat.
Right now, Smith is more of a need than a timid ruck, we lack speed and players who know how to tackle, Smith does both even if his kicking is suspect.
I'm definitely in the 'keep Smith' camp and I genuinely think he'd be the best run-with player in the comp. He did a couple of jobs last year (one on Cripps) which was exceptional, has the workrate and temperament for it and is a danger going the other way.

If we did go for Soldo, would that not be his third club? Bit wary of that but then again it’s worked for Grundy I guess

Doubtful Richmond would part with Nankervis although he certainly has the muscle and grunt we’re after
We chased Soldo the year before we landed Lobb. He chose to stay at Richmond

Can we please remember that Tim is a free agent and won’t be traded, if he leaves it’s compensation, not a trade.
That will probably net us more than we’d get for a trade anyway. Value has tanked. We’ve waited a year too long just like the Dunkley situation (though I understand why we didn’t let him go to Essendon).

English won't be going anywhere. Even he must realise that any reasonable offer is sufficient compensation for his output. He would be mad to haggle over whatever is on the table. Like others have posted, the club should now take the high ground and say "take it or leave it". I've never heard of an offer being reduced during negotiations but it's clear that is now the growing consensus opinion on this board.

The problem imo now isn’t the money, although paying him anywhere close to a million a year would be salary cap suicide.

It’s that if he takes our offer, whatever it is, and there’s no change in coach, then we’re going to be resigned to watching this shit for the next five years.

I am more convinced than ever that this team cannot contend at the pointy end of the season if he is our first ruck. It’s too important a position now with 6-6-6 and how centre bounce momentum can turn games. Picking up touches across the ground and kicking the odd goal won’t make up for losses in the middle.

Why is Tim a terrible tap ruckman. I do not subscribe to the theory he is scared. Yes, more aggression and win at all costs would be good. Looking at other factors

Height That is not problem
Strength Should not be a problem he looks strong enough now
Positioning Maybe a problem
Leap Maybe a problem but not does effect his marking
Timing I think this his biggest technical problem

Can he fix it. Unlikely, unless all his ruck coaches have been crap.

Last edited:
If we lose Duryea and Johannisen to retirement this year we literally only have the four small/medium defenders for next season:

Bramble
Coffield
Dale
Cleary

Freijah is a winger long-term, and even if you include him we have very little depth. Would suggest we need to snag a role player from another club and draft one or two players in this position for cover.

We chased Soldo the year before we landed Lobb. He chose to stay at Richmond

No ruck was coming to the Kennel whilst English had a monopoly on the position

The one we had Sweet left for that reason

Player managers shut down any discussion of their player going as a ruck to the Dogs immediately thanks but no thanks

Why is Tim a terrible tap ruckman. I do not subscribe to the theory he is scared. Yes, more aggression and win at all costs would be good. Looking at other factors

Leap Mayne a problem but does effect his marking

His positioning is below par but his biggest issue, for me, is he is too reactive to what the other ruckman does. Those 2 go hand in hand, for too many years I’ve watched him look away from the ball to see where the other ruck is & where the contact will be.

Someone like Gawn just watches the ball & positions himself at the drop to hold the other ruck out, English is close to the opposite most of the time.

Leap Mayne a problem but does effect his marking

His positioning is diabolical. Boundary throw ins he always starts behind his opponent. I can only suggest it’s by coaching design because it’s a bewildering decision otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not timing, it’s fear. He jumps early to protect himself, always has, always will.

How the hell did we lose Dunkley? You just
can’t lose players like him, absolute disaster.
I think we've all come to accept baz is leaving, me included, but none of us are asking why? We lost dunkley who is a star, why is he leaving? Does anyone know? Very disappointing

I think we've all come to accept baz is leaving, me included, but none of us are asking why? We lost dunkley who is a star, why is he leaving? Does anyone know? Very disappointing
I don’t think Dunkley was ever going to be a one-club player and would be very surprised if he doesn’t move again. He’s obsessed with US sports where most players move multiple times and I think he loves the idea of being the “marquee player” moving to a new club.

Just something i heard, not sure if correct. But Baz has said if he was to stay, he only wants to sign for 2 years. Wants to repay the support he has got from the club. Hasn't made up his mind yet.

Anyone see the saints last quarter. Speed is king it put the saints in front and nearly got the swans back in front. It killed us yesterday against the power. We just do not have enough of it. We lose Baz this year we probably knew it when we got Sanders. Look he may prove a good player but any knock on him was always leg speed.

O/K you need more than just leg speed or you just recruit 100 metre runners. However, we need to recruit players with speed who can play it is the number 1 number 2 and number 3 priority. This complements The Bont, and for whatever time Libba has left. The lack of it is why Jacko and Caleb have struggled this season.

I’ve been a big critic for a long time , but I do wonder that his history with concussions has had a big effect on his confidence.
Having said that, I just don’t think he is a ruckman , he is just a very tall mid.

Just something i heard, not sure if correct. But Baz has said if he was to stay, he only wants to sign for 2 years. Wants to repay the support he has got from the club. Hasn't made up his mind yet.

Fine by me. Two years for the club to pull its collective finger out and make it impossible (for anyone) to leave.

I don’t think Dunkley was ever going to be a one-club player and would be very surprised if he doesn’t move again. He’s obsessed with US sports where most players move multiple times and I think he loves the idea of being the “marquee player” moving to a new club.

Also apparently really struggled in the hub with a couple of the looser blokes getting on the beers too much. Incidentally Bruce quit drinking and Hunter went elsewhere, while the Lions are the ones with a more recent off season partying incident.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back