Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Lachie Smith ready to play AFL?

When I watch him play, I see a future AFL ruckman. I would love to try him out for a few games next year but I guess it will be 2026 before he is close to fit enough.

Give him time, he does look like he can make it but the Geelong match vs Stanley in the ruck showed that he wasn't ready yet. Let him build fitness and work on his impact up forward.

Is Lachie Smith ready to play AFL?

When I watch him play, I see a future AFL ruckman. I would love to try him out for a few games next year but I guess it will be 2026 before he is close to fit enough.
After watching him recently, I think against Carlton , he wasn’t really competitive against a taller ruckman.
I like him , he is combative with solid enough skills, but at his height and a lack of jump, not sure what sort of AFL career he ends with.

Very happy to have him on the list though !

Does anyone think we might have a crack at Tsatas. A fast mid/fwd who is at a great age bracket. He's not shooting the lights out at Essendon, but he was a high draft pick.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

For a mid-forward he's not hitting the scoreboard at VFL level much, he was a high pick but I'm leery of picking early picks up that haven't kicked on yet as usually there's a reason for that.

Can't see English going to West Coast given his mrs is here now and how utter crap they will be for probably at least 6 to 7 years
West Coast will be challenging for finals sooner than 6 or 7 years. Maybe even in 2-3.

After watching him recently, I think against Carlton , he wasn’t really competitive against a taller ruckman.
I like him , he is combative with solid enough skills, but at his height and a lack of jump, not sure what sort of AFL career he ends with.
He’s around the same height as Briggs, Darcy, O’Brien etc so don’t think it’ll be a big concern long-term. Probably just taking time to adapt due to playing against smaller opponents (both in height and weight) in juniors

West Coast will be challenging for finals sooner than 6 or 7 years. Maybe even in 2-3.
I find it hard to be that bullish. They've got a few good kids, but so many holes to fill.

The only players they have averaging 20 touches this year are Duggan, Yeo, McGovern and Kelly, hardly a youth brigade.

If they make finals inside of 4 seasons I'd be surprised.

Very happy to have him on the list though !

Best case scenario is a Nankervis type, which would be a good outcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally different players imo
Sanders is the libba replacement/ AA mid
While Frejiah is our future all Australian winger
I thought Ed should be our AA half back, but here we are, and Red's move to the guts has completely changed our midfield structure.
Brillent defensively during tapouts and the burst of speed our midfield desperately needed.
Lobb another example.
Frejiah can versatile with his talent, he could be another gun midfielder or winger. He's like another 1st rounder.... well done Sammy P 👏

My mail on Macrea to St.kilda is getting louder and I believe the club are now listening to what is on offer, however IF he was to leave the club wouldn't let him go for nothing and it would NOT be a salary dump scenario.

In terms of off-field the dogs have made another big play at Leppitsch although it's still seen as unlikely he moves.
I've also been told to expect more movement on the assistant coach front as well as the likely addition of an extra brought in under a newly created title.

The club underwent its planned review over the bye period in which full support was given to Beveridge however there is still a few things/people behind the scenes that didn't meet expectations and will likely "decide" to move on at years end or be put into different roles.

Best case scenario is a Nankervis type, which would be a good outcome.

Ruckmen like Smith (and Nankervis) with a style based around contest, strength and aggression (as opposed to athleticism) can take a number of years to build up the strength to be effective playing that way at AFL level. Given Smith doesn’t even turn 19 until October, I’d say he’s tracking well to be a solid option by the time he’s 21.

They’re atleast 5 years away from a finals series
The only way that is the case is if they complete miss handle this off season. I hijk 2-3 years is possible if they get thing right and don't do a complete gutting like North did. They definitely need to move on a few of the older guys and some of the deadwood but cutting too deep or only bringing in 18 year olds as some have suggested will see them down for 5 plus years. This trade/draft period is critical to them.

My mail on Macrea to St.kilda is getting louder and I believe the club are now listening to what is on offer, however IF he was to leave the club wouldn't let him go for nothing and it would NOT be a salary dump scenario.

In terms of off-field the dogs have made another big play at Leppitsch although it's still seen as unlikely he moves.
I've also been told to expect more movement on the assistant coach front as well as the likely addition of an extra brought in under a newly created title.

The club underwent its planned review over the bye period in which full support was given to Beveridge however there is still a few things/people behind the scenes that didn't meet expectations and will likely "decide" to move on at years end or be put into different roles.
Agreed they currently have 24/25 I think 1 of them should be involved for Macrae

I thought Ed should be our AA half back, but here we are, and Red's move to the guts has completely changed our midfield structure.
Brillent defensively during tapouts and the burst of speed our midfield desperately needed.
Lobb another example.
Frejiah can versatile with his talent, he could be another gun midfielder or winger. He's like another 1st rounder.... well done Sammy P 👏

Jason Akermanis was an all Australian back pocket in 1999 and then became an elite midfielder. I am hoping Ed (although not AA defender) becomes an elite midfielder. He's on the right trajectory early on in the move.

On a side note Akermanis who had elite skills credits these skills to his underage coach in Mildura named Gordon Casey (the father of Gordon Casey who played at the Dogs in the early 1970s). Being from the Mildura area and having seen Casey senior coach, this comes as no surprise.

It'd be sad to see Macrae go but it probably makes sense for all parties. He still has something to offer but is surplus to our requirements and is approaching 30.

I could see him putting in 3-4 productive years at a club like St Kilda.

He'd be an upgrade on Jones, Crouch and Ross that's for sure.
Doubts on Crouch's future too. Macrae makes plenty of sense as a straight replacement.

So much respect for Jack and what he's done for us in his career.

I'd almost rather see him in the guts elsewhere than subbing/on the fringes with us - a bit like Douggies year or so at Fitzroy.

Doubts on Crouch's future too. Macrae makes plenty of sense as a straight replacement.
I think all three have big questions marks over their futures.
Saints are also linked to shiel, I Know which one I'd choose regardless of cost.
Baker would slot nicely into our side - is he dead set on going back to WA or just shopping around?
It's either stay at tigers or back to WA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back