Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we do need to sign English we don’t have another genuine ruckman on our list Darcy is only young and lobb is our backman so we do need to sign English people are forgetting he is really important to our team when you think about it
Apparently the club have offered English a 5 year contract

If English does leave (big if) I'd bet everything I own that we would leave Lobb in defence and Ruck a tall Mid like we did Dunkley and Hawks do with Nash.

Although I haven't been given numbers from what I can deduce the Eagles offer is around 900k per year time x 6 our offer is 800k x5. Again another guess here but I assume that he wouldn't leave and up root his life over that different, his management is likely holding out now in hopes Eagles will get to 1 million or that the dogs will blink and match the Eagles offer.
I have been told though that the dogs will not be upping the offer unless it is to match a bid on the unlikely scenario that it doesn't trigger band 1 compensation.

I have been told though that the dogs will not be upping the offer unless it is to match a bid on the unlikely scenario that it doesn't trigger band 1 compensation.
I think this is the correct play. Get a first round pick for him and run...

I think this is the correct play. Get a first round pick for him and run...
I still think he stays.
Going with percentages I'd say English 90% stays/10% goes. B.Smith 75% goes/25% stays.

I still wouldn't rule out Bombers or even the Crows coming late for English.

And replace him with trash and go backwards.

Good plan.
I just have a different view on the importance of ruckman.

I just want a competitive beast. Nothing flashy, enjoys a bit of contact and doesn't get pushed around in ruck contests. Tim is also high risk with his concussion history. This is an easy decision for me, if we can get first round compo.

I just have a different view on the importance of ruckman.

I just want a competitive beast. Nothing flashy, enjoys a bit of contact and doesn't get pushed around in ruck contests. Tim is also high risk with his concussion history. This is an easy decision for me, if we can get first round compo.
And that's what... pittonet? Geez that would be diabolical

My mail on Macrea to St.kilda is getting louder and I believe the club are now listening to what is on offer, however IF he was to leave the club wouldn't let him go for nothing and it would NOT be a salary dump scenario.

St. Kilda makes the most sense if he were to leave and he definitely would slot right into their midfield and help rejuvenate it. Good to hear that the club will hold firm though and not just let him go for nothing, this isn't a Luke Hodge or Sam Mitchell type situation, he's only turning 30 next month.

I still think his ball use would benefit us in retaining him for at least another season, even if that means he's in and out of the team but we are unlikely to have all our mids/mid-forwards available at the same time, but I certainly won't hold it against him if he wants to move to a club that will see him play in his preferred position every week. His legacy at the club has already been cemented, not only a champion 3x AA player for 10+ years, but kicked one of the most important goals in the club's history and stood up in big games. Lots of people forget just how good he was in the 2021 finals series and did go on to win the Gary Ayres Award.

He's currently on 246 career games, hopefully he can to 250 with us as he's not only earnt it, it does have a better ring to it post-retirement.

St. Kilda makes the most sense if he were to leave and he definitely would slot right into their midfield and help rejuvenate it. Good to hear that the club will hold firm though and not just let him go for nothing, this isn't a Luke Hodge or Sam Mitchell type situation, he's only turning 30 next month.

I still think his ball use would benefit us in retaining him for at least another season, even if that means he's in and out of the team but we are unlikely to have all our mids/mid-forwards available at the same time, but I certainly won't hold it against him if he wants to move to a club that will see him play in his preferred position every week. His legacy at the club has already been cemented, not only a champion 3x AA player for 10+ years, but kicked one of the most important goals in the club's history and stood up in big games. Lots of people forget just how good he was in the 2021 finals series and did go on to win the Gary Ayres Award.

He's currently on 246 career games, hopefully he can to 250 with us as he's not only earnt it, it does have a better ring to it post-retirement.
Exactly, we won't actively shop him and if he does come to us and ask out we won't be giving him away for peanuts.

Great post and exactly my thoughts.
I believe the sentiment from the club has changed as the year has gone on, in the way that they wouldn't entertain any prospect of him moving clubs and he was required all be it in a new role. Though everyone internally is happy with his adaptation to the role, respect has to be given to Macrea as a long time contributor of high standards and premiership player. The ball is in his court now with everyone knowing where it stands, he can either stay and continue as the high half forward who joins the midfield out of the forwardline or leave to a club bereft of inside mids and be a walk up start for CBA's.

Exactly, we won't actively shop him and if he does come to us and ask out we won't be giving him away for peanuts.
I'd expect it'd be something like a second round pick for macrea and us paying a small portion of his contract over the next couple of seasons. Still early days though and whilst being actively courted I expect he stays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Premiership ruckman over the last 5 years suggest otherwise
2023 D.Cameron aquired by trade
2022 R.Stanley acquired by trade
2021 M.Gawn*
2020 T.Nankervis acquired by trade
2019 T.Nankervis acquired by trade
So when WC win the flag with Tim as their ruck….acquired by trade…..you can add to the list

Is Lachie Smith ready to play AFL?

When I watch him play, I see a future AFL ruckman. I would love to try him out for a few games next year but I guess it will be 2026 before he is close to fit enough.
I understand that Smith is 4 cm taller than Toby Nankervis and the “ not the size of the dog in the fight” thing but the reports of him having no leap and the tendency for players to be taller now than previously ( we have midfielders now who are taller than Jack Dyer or John Nicholls) he will need to develop some elite traits in other areas. He is still only 18 so time is in his side for both a growth spurt and development of craft. The early reports on him are very good so he has every chance and I am glad he is with us. Early days.

We were 12-3 in 2021 when Stef Martin or Jordon Sweet (coming in for an injured Martin) were playing. We chose to start Lewy Young in the ruck in the first two finals, won those too.

5-1 in 2022 when Sweet filled in for English.

If Tim leaves I don't see us going backwards at all, to be honest. Not saying it would mean we'd get better. There would be opportunity there to use that salary to improve in other areas, provided we use it.

5 x 800k is fair. He's done himself no favours this season, were he a free agent last year he'd probably get that 6 year 6 mill. But he still has 5 games at minimum to replicate what we saw against Geelong and make a case for himself.

Whatever we get for English, would be what Eagles get for Barass. Are we happy with that 1 for 1 trade? Personally not really, I don’t see Barass as a need.
WCE will only trade Barass for massive overs to top up their draft hand and quicken up their re-build. One mid-late 1st round pick is nowhere near enough to do that. They would want the Smith pick too.

There's no way I'd pony up two decent picks for a 29yo who wants a 5 year deal when he has a dodgy back.

Jones, Lobb, O'Donnell, Busslinger and Khamis is fine. We also spent a 1st round pick on Jordan Croft, he will be needing games in a year or two.

I'm sad. I just want more premeriship Bulldogs to retire as a one-club player.

That's the way free agency works. Battle will get Saints pick 6/7.
Doesn't make it a fair system because of that though. Quite the opposite in fact.

What they are saying is you won't get what the player is worth. You will get something that's related to where you happened to finish on the ladder instead.

It is laughably illogical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back