Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't make it a fair system because of that though. Quite the opposite in fact.

What they are saying is you won't get what the player is worth. You will get something that's related to where you happened to finish on the ladder instead.

It is laughably illogical.
I 100% agree but it's the AFL we are talking about here, I also don't expect Ned Guy to be able to sort it out.
Edit to add: you just have to deal with the system that we have and try to work it into your favour.

I'm sad. I just want more premeriship Bulldogs to retire as a one-club player.
I get it but don't let sentiment get in the way of reality. Jack Mac has been a magnificent servant of the club but he has been replaced by Richards and possibly Sanders in time.

We turned Callan Ward into Jack Mac. Jack Mac needs to pass the baton on. The alternative is a full re-build at some point with Libba, Treloar coming to the end in the not too distant future.

Still think Jack plays a role. I'd prefer to keep him instead of going for peanuts. Libba might only have one year left and Macrae can easily play that role for a year or two post that before Sanders is ready. We don't have the midfield depth to just give these players away nor do we have young players banging down the door to take the spot

We were 12-3 in 2021 when Stef Martin or Jordon Sweet (coming in for an injured Martin) were playing. We chose to start Lewy Young in the ruck in the first two finals, won those too.

5-1 in 2022 when Sweet filled in for English.

If Tim leaves I don't see us going backwards at all, to be honest. Not saying it would mean we'd get better. There would be opportunity there to use that salary to improve in other areas, provided we use it.

5 x 800k is fair. He's done himself no favours this season, were he a free agent last year he'd probably get that 6 year 6 mill. But he still has 5 games at minimum to replicate what we saw against Geelong and make a case for himself.
Only on bigfooty does some rubbery stats about win-loss record 3 years ago with and without other players hold relevancy, but no mention whatsoever about the fact that he was all-Australian with 11 brownlow votes last year.

Why is the win-loss stat important but the more recent outstanding on-field performance not?

I disagree that we would get better simply because saved salary cap in other positions may not necessarily lead to directly recruiting or stopping losing a player tangibly, but we will tangibly have a decrease in the ruck position to what we currently have.

(I want to be fair and say this season he's clearly only been about the 10th best ruck in the league, and that still is good enough to gather $800k a year in this modern salary cap environment It's just arguments like this that frustrate me - clearly slanted and biased and poor).

Got no problem losing English. I’m sure we could land a Reeves type on the cheap. He ain’t playing in front of Meek. Gives us another first rounder to further strengthen our list.

By all measurements English is about the 4th best ruck in the league outside of ruck contests and about the 15th in the ruck contests themselves.

If anyone would like to disagree with me on that, fair enough, but I think that's about an unbiased assessment

I personally would give them about equal weight leading to English being about the 10th-11st best ruck in the league this season.

His All-Australian year last year does not have no (though it does only have small) value in predicting his future output.

If we can more or less get the 8th best ruck in the league, on average, over the next 5 years, on $800k, I think that's actually excellent value in relation to the salary cap. I am of the belief that English will be better than that ranking over the next five years, but I think that's a plain and simple and fair and balanced assessment of his current and therefore likely future performance.

None of this doesn't even measure the certainty vs uncertainty aspect ie we could very well go around chasing a first ruck, overpaying for them, in the hope of the fact that our next in line first ruck after English doesn't work ie. Sydney paying Ladhams to play in the reserves (which we can avoid paying English).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By all measurements English is about the 4th best ruck in the league outside of ruck contests and about the 15th in the ruck contests themselves.

If anyone would like to disagree with me on that, fair enough, but I think that's about an unbiased assessment

I personally would give them about equal weight leading to English being about the 10th-11st best ruck in the league this season.

His All-Australian year last year does not have no (though it does only have small) value in predicting his future output.

If we can more or less get the 8th best ruck in the league, on average, over the next 5 years, on $800k, I think that's actually excellent value in relation to the salary cap. I am of the belief that English will be better than that ranking over the next five years, but I think that's a plain and simple and fair and balanced assessment of his current and therefore likely future performance.

None of this doesn't even measure the certainty vs uncertainty aspect ie we could very well go around chasing a first ruck, overpaying for them, in the hope of the fact that our next in line first ruck after English doesn't work ie. Sydney paying Ladhams to play in the reserves (which we can avoid paying English).

With our midfield I would settle for English been top 3 in ruck contests and 15th outside ruck contests

Feed the midfield

With our midfield I would settle for English been top 3 in ruck contests and 15th outside ruck contests

Feed the midfield
A good midfield can lead to much the opposite argument. The ability of our mids to be good at the stoppage means all we need is a body there (how many more clearances will a team actually win with a gun ruck in there, do rucks actually matter etc), but outside ruck contests, an intercept or a goal or an effective disposal is just that, and doesn't seem to take away the ability of other players to do the same thing.

A good midfield can lead to much the opposite argument. The ability of our mids to be good at the stoppage means all we need is a body there (how many more clearances will a team actually win with a gun ruck in there, do rucks actually matter etc), but outside ruck contests, an intercept or a goal or an effective disposal is just that, and doesn't seem to take away the ability of other players to do the same thing.

We will never know how good our stoppage work can be because we have never had a ruck that could feed them.

We would win many more clearances with a decent ruck in the ruck contest IMO.
Our midfield is too good needs a ruck that can get it going our way.

WCE will only trade Barass for massive overs to top up their draft hand and quicken up their re-build. One mid-late 1st round pick is nowhere near enough to do that. They would want the Smith pick too.

There's no way I'd pony up two decent picks for a 29yo who wants a 5 year deal when he has a dodgy back.

Jones, Lobb, O'Donnell, Busslinger and Khamis is fine. We also spent a 1st round pick on Jordan Croft, he will be needing games in a year or two.

Particularly when we need to inject some more youngish talent through the middle of the ground. Our wings are still mediocre and our best mids arent getting any younger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back