Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

When it comes to Barrass for me

Our list is stacked, it's a legit top 4 side

Giving up say late first-rounders for him is a big win for me

He secures a role that we haven't had in a very long time, Jones, JOD, Lobb and Buku will be stronger with a Legit 1v1 Key Defender

Our salary cap is great, so bringing on Barrass at good coin won't impact any future deals

Our medical team is really good so i don't have any issues with any current or pass injuries

if we won a flag within 2-3 of 5 seasons of Barrass and carry him through injuries the last 2-3 seasons would it be considered worthwhile?
A flag would definitely make it worthwhile just like it did with Tom Boyd.
I think we are a quality Inside/outside Mid and Small forward away not a key defender away.
However to my mind it would have to be seen internally that he is a missing peice and if we do have to cop a year or two of salary if he is finished in 3 years then that is the price to pay to compete for the next 3 years.

It seems like unders, but if we can get a decent second round pick for Caleb we probably need to take it, for ours and his benefit.

I’d be less inclined to let Jack go as he’s actually playing every week. But the same applies.

If we can also get a first and second (theirs is currently 33) from Geelong for Bailey then that would give us a first and four second round picks. There’s plenty we could do with that.
I don’t see how Caleb nets us anything decent.

A 28 year old not in our best 22 on a sizeable contract will be nothing more than a late pick. Hunter like.

The value is in the extra salary cap space and doing the right thing by Daniel.

Houston worth two first round picks but Bailey Smuth only worth a late first from the Cats. Seems fair.
They aren't remotely comparable though.

One is under contract long term and a current All Australian who is replicating that form.

The other is out of contract, coming off an ACL with a variety of off-field issues with no recent form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How old was lobb when we traded for him? And how many years did he have on his contract? He was also there leading goal scored that year wasn't he?

We probably would, I cannot see a scenario though where Baz would put his hand up and risk the next deal he alreasdy has in place, and I wouldn't expect him to.
Sends a pretty poor message to the bloke whose place he takes in the GF too. If you knew for sure he was the difference between winning the GF and losing it you'd do it for sure. But after a year out he could be very rusty, deliver less than the bloke he replaces and in doing so we'd alienate one of our up and comers like Sanders or Garcia.

Last edited:
29 years old , had one year left on his contract and yes he was their leading goal kicker that year
So he was 4 months older then Barras will be, coming off his best ever season where he finished top 10 in the club's B and F, was their leading goal scorer whilst also being contracted.
What did we give up for him at the time and did he have any known debilitating injuries?

So he was 4 months older then Barras will be, coming off his best ever season where he finished top 10 in the club's B and F, was their leading goal scorer whilst also being contracted.
What did we give up for him at the time and did he have any known debilitating injuries?
2 x second rounders. Had an ankle injury that he carried into the next year

If you can get a 2nd for CD you'd probably take it if he wanted to go. I'd be inclined to keep Macrae around for sure as there is no reason to get rid of him for the sake of it unless the offer was way overs (mid 1st).

I'm not paying overs for Barrass but if the offer is fair I'd do it but if it's not then you walk away. Would rather give lobb a crack and use the Smith comp for a mid. Would also prefer Tim to sign

Jones didn’t have nearly the injury history, I suspect his salary is a lot lower, and he was free as compared to a 1R pick.

You can also look at Alex Keath (1 year younger than Keath) to see how quickly it can turn at that age for others. Keath was 6th in our B&F in a grand final year where a lot of us would have had him behind only Bont and maybe Naughton for importance and was cooked less than 12 months later.
True.

The cliff can come at you pretty fast at that age.

If you can get a 2nd for CD you'd probably take it if he wanted to go. I'd be inclined to keep Macrae around for sure as there is no reason to get rid of him for the sake of it unless the offer was way overs (mid 1st).

I'm not paying overs for Barrass but if the offer is fair I'd do it but if it's not then you walk away. Would rather give lobb a crack and use the Smith comp for a mid. Would also prefer Tim to sign
You'd be lucky to get one second round pick for Macrae and a third round pick for Daniel. I wouldn't be shopping them around but if they wanted to leave for more game time I'd happily facilitate it given the contribution they've made to the club.

You'd be lucky to get one second round pick for Macrae and a third round pick for Daniel. I wouldn't be shopping them around but if they wanted to leave for more game time I'd happily facilitate it given the contribution they've made to the club.
Given Macrae had played most games I doubt he leaves. CD has every right to explore options

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back