Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not a big Owies fan but we need a small forward that impacts the scoreboard as well as does what VDM and McNeil are supposed to have been doing. Opposition coaches know that these 2 aren’t going to hurt you on the scoreboard so can plan differently.

Sadly he’s a big upgrade on Vandermeer and McNeil and we should chase him hard.
I worked with a bloke, who is a keen Doggies fan, who is one of his best mates - travelled to Perth for his debut. Hopefully he gets in his ear.

Switkowski, O'Driscoll, and Peatling are all the types of players we should be bringing in.

Move on Daniel to clear cap space for Peatling and hopefully whatever pick we get for him is enough. We should also get some mid round pics for Smith (on top of their first) which can be passed on for the others.

Still think we need to rework our forward line. I think it is deceivingly good. We can kick high scores and they have had good games vs top sides throughout the year but compared to last year it was really the same goal kickers factoring in the emergence of Darcy, and the removal of Lobb from the forward line.

Looking at the tally, the 2024 goal numbers from JUH, Naughton, Weightman, Darcy, Bont English West, Treloar improved on the 2023 numbers by around 40 points. Not poorly by any means but we also kicked a lot of our goals against those very very poor teams. I also haven’t mentioned that the in many games the remaining spots in the forward line have been occupied by players that a) don’t kick goals b) don’t lock the ball in the forward line and c) do not have the skills or the pace to crumb if we do not mark it.

Despite the high numbers, the forward line has been repeatedly found out during finals. In the last two finals, it was basically non-existent. The ball shot out of our forward line in the Fremantle final like there was a slingshot back there. On Friday night watching from level 4 it seriously seemed like the ball didn’t even get writhin 20 metres of our goal for more than half the night. Though that is also on the midfield brigade too for not being able to compete in the centre and get the ball forward efficiently.

Still think we need to rework our forward line. I think it is deceivingly good. We can kick high scores and they have had good games vs top sides throughout the year but compared to last year it was really the same goal kickers factoring in the emergence of Darcy, and the removal of Lobb from the forward line.

If there’s one thing I want out of this off season, it’s a new forward line coach and Spanger out.

Try some new ideas, we have this generational forward line individually (JUH is developing and still a gun) yet constantly struggling in almost every way that a forward line can.

I’ve been wanting Spanger gone since 2021, and now we have some proof that it may be successful considering how our backline went from one of the worst to the absolute best under a coach change.

Might be blasphemy, but I wouldn’t be against trading Juh if we can nab 3 first rounders out of it and replenish the midfield.

Nope, you're actually on the money. Financially, I cant see the club keeping JUH, Naughton and Darcy. How many million dollar men are we gonna be running around with by 2028?

Exploiting Tasmania or another club for 2 or 3 top first round picks for JUH or Naughton needs a bit of consideration.

Unless these blokes adopt the Geelong methodology and all take paycuts to keep everyone together...

If there’s one thing I want out of this off season, it’s a new forward line coach and Spanger out.

Try some new ideas, we have this generational forward line individually (JUH is developing and still a gun) yet constantly struggling in almost every way that a forward line can.

I’ve been wanting Spanger gone since 2021, and now we have some proof that it may be successful considering how our backline went from one of the worst to the absolute best under a coach change.

Yeah, I know blaming Spangher is a meme, but but axing Bubba and bringing in Pratt was the best change we made last off-season (one which Bev notably didn’t want to happen). At this point it’s probably worth shuffling Spangher into a different role and getting a fresh perspective on the forward line. Preferably from another proven coach like Pratt.

Yeah, I know blaming Spangher is a meme, but but axing Bubba and bringing in Pratt was the best change we made last off-season (one which Bev notably didn’t want to happen). At this point it’s probably worth shuffling Spangher into a different role and getting a fresh perspective on the forward line. Preferably from another proven coach like Pratt.
Let’s not also act like we were totally incompetent ahead of the ball as well. We were the second highest scoring team of the season and had a very good spread of goalkickers all season.

There’s always room for improvement but generally our forward structure was quite good this year.

Or just shuffling Spangher out altogether...

Then hit draft and trade period for speedy mids and speedy small forwards.

It's easy to look at our "gun midfield" which has been a strength for years and realise we only have a couple more years of them being at or somewhere near their best. We'll get by for a couple more years. However, Hawthorn & Geelong have shown you don't need a star-studded midfield to win games consistently. Good midfielders are a lot easier to acquire but as long as you have the right mind set and game plan, you can get the job done.

I'm not saying an elite midfield isn't helpful. Of course it's helpful but without the right mindset or gameplan (or potentially even a half decent tap ruck man like Sweet), you're going to be outperformed by a superior professional gameplan.

A good midfield with a superior mindset & gameplan is better than an elite midfield that doesn't get first hands on the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s not also act like we were totally incompetent ahead of the ball as well. We were the second highest scoring team of the season and had a very good spread of goalkickers all season.

There’s always room for improvement but generally our forward structure was quite good this year.

Not saying we were and I don’t think it’s close to our biggest area for improvement. But an argument for keeping Bubba was that we were 6th for points against in 2023.

What do we need to throw at Butters to get him here. Would love to see him in our colours, feel like we’re lacking a fair bit of mongrel currently and he brings that in spades.
And when he wears our jumper he’ll get suspended for everything instead of fined right….vic bias and all that

I’m not a big Owies fan but we need a small forward that impacts the scoreboard as well as does what VDM and McNeil are supposed to have been doing. Opposition coaches know that these 2 aren’t going to hurt you on the scoreboard so can plan differently.

Not the biggest Owies fan either but there is probably a role at AFL level for him. I don't think we're the right club for it. Think with the three talls as well as Weightman and West and a goal kicking midfielder in Bont, I think we have enough scoring power that we don't need an Owies type who kicks goals but doesn't offer much else.

Obviously I'd want to add as many goal scoring threats as possible but think priority one needs to be pressure and tackles from any complimentary forwards we add.

The club is not taking itself serious if we don't seriously target some half forwards. Absolutely scandalous that Vandermeer played every game this season despite having impact on maybe 3 games

We need someone to fly the flag. It’s been needed for ages. We have way more talent now than in 2016. What we don’t have is heart, soul and toughness. Guys like Picken, Morris and Clay Smith. The Mighty Ducks had the bash brothers. We need something.

And speed. Oh lord we’re so slow.
When Harmes, Daniel and Macrae play these days, yes we are….still furious that Daniel got back in to play the final.

If we are going to blow up a final, why not do it with some future and hope about it

2015 was that

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back